• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWAUT - A New Year, A New Plan

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    A Happy New Years to all our KF 2 friends and fans new and old!

We have big plans this year to bring you a bigger, better Killing Floor 2, based in no small part to your requests as fans. For those who may have missed or forgotten here is a quick recap of things coming (with a few new additions!):
    • 3 New Weapons,
      • An increase by 50% over the last weapon update!
      • Including the first community voted weapon, the Mac 10 SMG
    • 2 New Maps (1 Community made)
    • Endless Mode
    • And a few other surprises....

And did we mention that is all scheduled for our first major update of the year? Oh and one of those surprises, the return of an old favorite character... no not that one... or that one... the other one.

We have also been working on several major technical issues between all platforms. For our PC fans, we have made some improvements to how memory is loaded on first launch which should see a faster loading speed across a variety of hardware.

We have also come to understand our build process wasn't ideal for how patches are submitted and deployed for consoles. Due to that very patching process we will not be able to address several major issues our console fans are currently impacted by (including rewards not always properly granting on both consoles as well a visual dosh vault amount bug and crash on Xbox when playing the map Nightmare) until the next major update. As such, we are making some major changes to how we go about our build and submission process, and this will also cause some changes for PC players.

The public facing side of this is that heading into this next update, we will have two phases of opt-in betas available on Steam, so we have more time and eyes to check for issues. Keep an eye out on future announcements for exact timings.

We here at Tripwire Interactive are looking forward to a great 2018 across Killing Floor 2 and Rising Storm 2: Vietnam and sharing the journey with you, the fans!

Awesome. Can't wait for the new character, I need a new pallet to use my countless cosmetics on! I hope it's either Ash Harding, who isn't likely because she is one of the more highly requested characters, or Reggie the Rocker, which also isn't likely because I'm one of the only 10 people who liked him.

So happy to see 3 weapons and 2 maps coming, there's so much potential different maps the community one could be! And endless has been my personal most-wanted feature to be added to the game. Cool.

Keep it up Tripwire, while I don't play this game all that much anymore now that I have more stuff to worry about, Killing Floor 2 has become something I can always come back to and forget about everything else for a little while. And I swear, every update just gets better and better.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Reclusiarch
    Upvote 0
    Yea Boiiiiii! 3 new guns! and im honestly happy the Mac-10 Pyro is returning over the M32. hopefully i can burn enemies as SWAT with it.
    though i wonder what the new guns would be...
    maybe one fictional and the second real weapon? i hope for the M4 Carbine returning as a commando version of the M14 EBR with laser sight and magnified scope. long range auto fire.

Also 2 new maps is what i think is very much needed and welcome. and are we getting the Hold your ground feature added retroactively in the other inagme maps?

Let me guess who the next zed exterminator will be: Security Officer Thorne. with a monstrous voice and insights into Horzine research as his quotes. but i want Mrs. Foster or Rae Higgins to return as well.

or the Shadow Ferret and the urban ninja/martial artist perk is in development! :p

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Community map potential candidates (IMO):
    -ShoppingSpree (Zerith won 2nd place in the GrindHouse with this solid map; it's been awhile but it'd still make sense)
    -Biolapse (A lot of Community Mappers were wowed by this full Hold-Out style map that very recently hit the Workshop. It makes excellent use of the laboratory assets & manages to capture the Biotics Lab feeling without feeling redundant. It has very aggressive spawns which make the challenge higher.)
    -Hangman's Bridge (An unlikely candidate but seemingly a Community favorite from my perspective. This level has a bit of special scripting which maybe decreases it's chances.)

Weapons overview:
    -Mac10- I am very pleased as I thought FB needed a more accuracy based weapon. It's overlap into SWAT will also be nice.
    - I anticipate something completely new for at least one of the new weapons & would await that it bolsters the SS or GS arsenal.
    -I personally would love to see the Scythe return more than anything else from KF1.

Returning character:
    -Officer Thorne & his deformed face would be cool but I defiantly anticipate Ash Harding or Rachel Clamely. I think Ms. Foster & Harold Lott are the two "No-s" being referenced.

I'm stoked for the update. Keep up the good work TWI

Upvote 0
    I don't know why,but I have a feeling the new character will be disappointing... I mean, if it's not the one most requested,nor the other one and such, I have a feeling it will be quite underwhelming. But I'm glad we're finally getting a fresh new character into the game, because skins are cool and all, but I'm not too keen on buying five bucks for a new jacket ~~~~ . Still hoping for my lady Ash Hardings to come back as I loved her accent, appearance (and most of all : that would add another much-requested woman character!)

I know Endless Mod has been requested for a while now, but I don't think much about it. I feel like after a while, a match would become a bit redundant. Even more so since we get T4 guns as early as wave 5 or 6...

Damn glad the MAC-10 is coming back! I hope it will only light enemies as a firebug as he did back then. However,I also hope it will be cross-perked with the SWAT as I feel he could use another tool in his arsenal as well (the UMP was a nice step forward,but it's not enough). Now my old firebug gear is complete! (Yeah,screw the husk cannon)

Damn glad about having two maps this time around as well! Don't know which type they'll be, but anything would be welcomed as I like all three. Hopefully, they'll bring yet another "theme" with them.

Oh and... MEDIC AND SURVIVALIST REWORKS ARE LONG OVERDUE

Upvote 0
    Aleflippy;n2312796 said:
    Oh and... MEDIC AND SURVIVALIST REWORKS ARE LONG OVERDUE

As a long-time playing medic I can say it's fairly solid if you know what you're doing. Using the buff side you can constantly give yourself the buffs you give other players which can keep you alive even when you're the last one alive. Survivalist though? That definitely could use a rework. Possibly more weapons for the class in a DIY kind of style. The class is called survivalist, you'd think they'd learn how to make all kinds of neat weapons from home appliances. It'd be a great chance to get both weird and creative with weapon designs.

Reactions: Bladerunner42
    Upvote 0
    Alkavine;n2312815 said:
    As a long-time playing medic I can say it's fairly solid if you know what you're doing. Using the buff side you can constantly give yourself the buffs you give other players which can keep you alive even when you're the last one alive. Survivalist though? That definitely could use a rework. Possibly more weapons for the class in a DIY kind of style. The class is called survivalist, you'd think they'd learn how to make all kinds of neat weapons from home appliances. It'd be a great chance to get both weird and creative with weapon designs.

Yea i also think medic is pretty good as is.

Reactions: Bladerunner42
    Upvote 0
    Speculations inbound:

*Community Level*

-ShoppingSpree- (Zerith won 2nd place in one of the GrindHouse rounds with this entry & it is a worth while addition to the roster; it has however been a long while since the GH & there are many new candidates)

-Biolapse- (A relatively new Community map done in the Hold-Out style. This map seems to have caught the eye of many of the Community mappers & received notable praise & commendations to be "Official quality". It utilizes a lot of the laboratory assets & creates a familiar feeling akin to BioticsLab without feeling redundant. The spawns are very aggressive & it makes for a challenge.)

-Hangman's Bridge- (This level received a lot of praise from what I could tell. It has however a good deal of special assets & scripting which make it an unlikely candidate.)

*3 New Weapons*
    -Yeah! The MAC-10 gives the FB a much welcome accuracy based weapon. Hopefully it will be cross-class with SWAT & still use incendiary rounds.
    -New weapons I can only imagine will bolster the Gunslinger & Sharpshooter. Every class has received at least 1 additional weapon since Official release. Gunslinger is the only class to receive no class specific new weapon (ie: they got a few extras with the cross-class update but indirectly). Sharpshooter is often criticized as being underpowered so a new weapon may help revamp the class's tactical play.

*Returning Character*
    -I hope it's Security Officer Thorne & his deformed face. He wasn't the most popular but was a bit more unique in his deformity & would offer an interesting bit of voice acting.
    -I think it is likely Ash Harding. She is often requested as a 3rd tier option... The most popular that I see being requested are Mrs. Foster (which I think Mr. Foster names Barbara in his dialogue & possibly divorced) & Harold Lott (whose voice actor doesn't want to participate & re-include himself & his comedy persona with KF2) . D.A.R. is also possible but unlikely due to the poor cosmetic compatibility & lots of tweaking that would be needed.
    -The KF1 Trader would be a pleasant surprise as she has been given HD textures & a bit of a modeling rework by Community fans. Her transition into an actual playable character though is very unlikely.

Upvote 0