• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Update 1055

Pavlov's Dog;n2302613 said:
I do not know what it is about the AK-12, but it is so incredibly fun to play with. The game sets it as a T3, but I always feel like I'm using a T4 when I pick it. Great gun.

@Topsgt - I don't think anyone is trolling. I think it's just the reaction of some players to the traditional LMG problem (LMGs feel like they should be stronger because they are big guns that use large-caliber rounds, but for balancing they usually end up doing less damage than rifles). I understand the frustration that some players feel with the Stoner - hell, it looks like it should be able to cut scrakes in half. But I think TWI did a pretty good job with the stoner given that LMGs were and still are tricky things to balance in shooting games.

not all LMGs use large caliber rounds..the stoner and m249 saw are examples that do not use large caliber, which would be the m60 and m249 to keep the time frame/USA comparisons.

Reactions: Reclusiarch
Upvote 0
VGames83;n2302950 said:
At level 25 it decaps and kills a gorefast. That's great but I can do that with the AK already. What's your point?

Stoner needs a buff. I'd say well over 50% of players agree according to the number of threads debating this on multiple forums. It needs a buff. That's it. TWI dropped the ball on their first LMG.

stoner is just fine..just needs reduced cost to 1200 and/or reduction in ammo cost. that thing costs a FORTUNE to run.

Reactions: VGames83
Upvote 0
VGames83;n2302950 said:
At level 25 it decaps and kills a gorefast. That's great but I can do that with the AK already. What's your point?

Stoner needs a buff. I'd say well over 50% of players agree according to the number of threads debating this on multiple forums. It needs a buff. That's it. TWI dropped the ball on their first LMG.

before it was buffed..yeah kinda, but now its fine other than the cost. also, it is good game design to make a new weapon underpowered and buff as needed. no one complains about buffs...but introduce an OP weapon and nerf it and all hell breaks loose about nerfs. So they did it fine.

Upvote 0
Buzzkillinton;n2303017 said:
not all LMGs use large caliber rounds..the stoner and m249 saw are examples that do not use large caliber, which would be the m60 and m249 to keep the time frame/USA comparisons.

Come on now, you're side-stepping the point: LMGs look like they should be big damage dealers (and in real life they are), but game balance makes LMGs feel less powerful in video games. And you're telling me that 100 rounds of 5.56 isn't a big deal (M249/Stoner)? Sure, the bullet is small, but its velocity of 5.56 is very high. You're talking about a lot of energy transfer with each round, and a hundred cartridges on tap (or more, depending on config).

Upvote 0
Pavlov's Dog;n2303073 said:
Come on now, you're side-stepping the point: LMGs look like they should be big damage dealers (and in real life they are), but game balance makes LMGs feel less powerful in video games. And you're telling me that 100 rounds of 5.56 isn't a big deal (M249/Stoner)? Sure, the bullet is small, but its velocity of 5.56 is very high. You're talking about a lot of energy transfer with each round, and a hundred cartridges on tap (or more, depending on config).

irrelevant, as the original comparison of large caliber would be to a 7.62 caliber. The individual bullet has little difference from what gun it is fired from. a 5.56 fired from a m249 isnt much different in energy than one fired from any other gun, the difference being barrel length. the point is, "large caliber" in the context of LMGs is 7.62mm.

besides, it is a game balance decision. if the stoner had the same damage as the AK, which it should as the AK 12 is 5.45mm, which ballistically is nearly the same as a 5.56, then it would be so grossly OP as to not even be fun. I like the contrast of the stoner to the SCAR, but i do wish the stoner was 1200 and weight allowed the carry of the med AR as well.

Reactions: Reclusiarch
Upvote 0
Buzzkillinton;n2303113 said:
irrelevant, as the original comparison of large caliber would be to a 7.62 caliber. The individual bullet has little difference from what gun it is fired from. a 5.56 fired from a m249 isnt much different in energy than one fired from any other gun, the difference being barrel length. the point is, "large caliber" in the context of LMGs is 7.62mm.

besides, it is a game balance decision. if the stoner had the same damage as the AK, which it should as the AK 12 is 5.45mm, which ballistically is nearly the same as a 5.56, then it would be so grossly OP as to not even be fun. I like the contrast of the stoner to the SCAR, but i do wish the stoner was 1200 and weight allowed the carry of the med AR as well.

dunno whats your problem is but stoner is not so expensive to maintain (at least im always in + and can blow cash as much as i want... in sui and hoe ofc :3)
Med AR is what definetly needs a weight reduction to 6... as it just makes no sense since all guns in commando's arsenal have 6 blocks of weight (except stoner ofc), because of its weight it's not so appealing to buy... especially when you can't combo it with c4 (because reasons)

Upvote 0
VGames83;n2303225 said:
Something needs to happen to the Stoner in the next patch. Its apparent due to the direction this thread has gone after one comment from myself about the gun.

I think the stoner would be fine staying where it is at. Sure, it could be better but I don't think he absolutely needs to be.

I really think there needs to be buffs for survivalist and medic needs some more tools simply because it can get really boring to be medic compared to the rest

Upvote 0
IWasLeft2Die;n2303222 said:
I think I have honestly bought the AK maybe 2 times ever in KF2 as well as the bullpop? I just get the other weapons generally. I like the idea of the Med AR being reduced mostly for the sake of the medic class.

You didn't understand the purpose of the AK then. Put it in 3-round burst mode and it's the Commando's best anti-heavy weapon in terms of DPS. I somewhat agree with you on the Bullpup though. The AR-15 is quite good so the Bullpup doesn't add much. I'd rather just buy a shotgun/winchester if I want more ammo in an early round.

Upvote 0
Denks;n2303374 said:
You didn't understand the purpose of the AK then. Put it in 3-round burst mode and it's the Commando's best anti-heavy weapon in terms of DPS. I somewhat agree with you on the Bullpup though. The AR-15 is quite good so the Bullpup doesn't add much. I'd rather just buy a shotgun/winchester if I want more ammo in an early round.

Hmm...I'll have to give this a try later. You're probably right though about it being good for that. Yeah the bullpop is better than the ar-15 but not that much that its worth waiting for a better gun

Upvote 0