• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Word From The Trader

Well I can certainly understand the issue with random crates. I'll just never personally be able to get into the completionist mindset. I don't even try that completionist stuff. On that note, is the issue that you can only get msytery crate dealies or is that just one of the things you can get. Coz in TF2, for example, you randomly found crates, but you could also just buy the thing you wanted.
I did complete just about everything in KF1, but I learned about it too late to ever get Harchier Spebbington. AFAIK, only other things I didn't get were Mrs. Foster and the Rising Storm Tommy Gun.

The issue with TF2 is there is just so much crap. I liked being able to do and get (basically) everything in KF1. I play TF2, but I have to treat it as a completely different thing in my head - and that thing is something I don't like as much as what KF1 is in my head.

Cosmetics are fine in my opinion. But please, please, please, please don't release any op weapons packs like in KF1. ex. Musket, flares, scythe and the rising storm tommy.
Musket was my favorite weapon in KF1. Dwarfs!? Axe was my second. Flares were my third. I even liked both ZED guns. Iunno... I like DLC. I don't mind crossovers or DLC. I just don't like microtransactions and flooding the game with an overwhelming amount of total crap like what ails TF2.

No, I bought KF2 thinking I'm going to enjoy this 100%, I'll buy everything Tripwire sets up for sale because I love this game. Now they are making me tremble. With crates, key and trading it's now nearly impossible to define what is "everything" and certainly impossible for the average player to collect every bit of content.
HunBonus, that was my mindset going into KF2 as well. Got the DOSH! Jacket, Deluxe, and I even got Chivalry on sale so I could get the Zweihander. Now I don't know how to think about or treat KF2.

I will still play it and have fun with friends, but I don't believe I will enjoy it as much with microtransactions. We'll see.

Just making one thing clear:
Thank you, Tripwire. I love your games. I think you are doing a great job so far and your communication shows that you are doing Early Access right. KF2 is a blast to play, even in its current unfinished state.

That said, I have nothing but contempt for key+crate microtransactions, and I absolutely loathe exclusive or time-limited items in games. Anxiety is the most heinous tool you can use to make sales, and it is despicable. Please don't fall into that trap.

Upvote 0
I feel like many people are throwing a hissy over this based on principal (because of what Payday 2 did) and not because they actually dislike it.

They actually took a couple of the better cues from CS:GO's loot system.

Many skins have a chance to drop just from playing the game, without having to spend a dime. They may be random, but such a feature is a necessity for a trading-based economy.

There are also some items that are not drops, or in crates, you can simply buy them outright from the store in the same way you bought skin packs in KF1. What you see is what you get.

Finally, there is a small percentage of skins that are locked behind the crates/USB drives exclusively, and these will likely be the rarest/most valuable. If you want these you can either gamble for them, or pay the asking price on the Steam market.

The big thing to remember here is that it's ALL COSMETIC. Just like in CS:GO, the skins are only there to make you stand out and look cool. Zero effect on gameplay. If you stop playing a good game forever just because they released cosmetic items with zero impact on gameplay, I feel sorry for you. You'll be missing out on all the future content, and this game is only getting better in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Not much time left to change anything before the update, but we are listening. And, to those asking "why not get the game out of Early Access first?" - well, here's your answer. Feedback, leading to changes in what we are doing with this, changes to future plans. So that, when the game comes out of Early Access, it is actually finished, with core systems like this ironed out and working the way people want it to.
I only speak for myself, but I really appreciate the communication and I understand and agree that now, in early-access, is the best time to implement things like this. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I did complete just about everything in KF1, but I learned about it too late to ever get Harchier Spebbington. AFAIK, only other things I didn't get were Mrs. Foster and the Rising Storm Tommy Gun.

The issue with TF2 is there is just so much crap. I liked being able to do and get (basically) everything in KF1. I play TF2, but I have to treat it as a completely different thing in my head - and that thing is something I don't like as much as what KF1 is in my head.
See I love it when a game has too much stuff for me to keep track of. When I play a game I want it to feel like there's a whole universe of stuff that I'll never be able to explore. I get this feeling of dread when I do all the stuff or find all of the things in a game. That's why I like RPGs. So I guess this is a pretty good example of how different people can be.

Upvote 0
As long as it's cosmetic only and doesn't alter gameplay in the slightest, you'll get a tiny, MOLECULAR-level amount of hype from me.

The second it's a copy of killing floor 1 with seven versions of something identical taking up space in the trader (rather than pre-choosing our skins) and weapons that are different to gameplay (Zweihander all over again, etc.)

you get dropped like a bad habit.

Upvote 0
The following is aimed to people who dislike/hate this announcement :

Like you (if you feel concerned), I dislike that CS:GO skin system with those crates/keys stuff.
Will I stop playing KF2 for that reason ? No.
Will I still support TWI ? Yes.

Like it has been mentioned on the website and mentioned here again, you are NOT forced to buy and use the skins. I know some people who played and enjoyed TF2/CS:GO/PAYDAY 2 with the default weapons only (even if gameplay stats changes were involved) and they will do the same with KF2.

You got a weapon skin crate ? Give it to an friend who is interested in or just sell it, done.

I would very like to thank TWI so much for making all this stuff cosmetic only, I (and I guess a lot of players) wouldn't want to have something like "PAYDAY 2 Black Market Update" where cosmetics boost stats (yes, buying the drill (key) to open the safe (crate) and get a white AK that add +4 stability. I don't see the relation between a painting improving weapon stability).

To make this short, if you stop playing KF2 because of this, then stop playing any game. You are acting like those CS:GO players who cry and rage because of the FN P90, G3SG-1 and FN SCAR (the "autonoobs")

Upvote 0
Will we find crates/USB stick on map ?
Or will we loot crates/USB stick only after defeating the boss ?
Will we be able to loot directly accessories/skins, or only crates/USB stick ?

Thanks by advance.
I assume it would be kindof like TF2, maybe randomly just based on time in-game or at the end of a match with an alert dealie or something. Of course that's just speculation. At the rate people are replying to this thread individual posts are getting buried pretty quickly.

Upvote 0
See I love it when a game has too much stuff for me to keep track of. When I play a game I want it to feel like there's a whole universe of stuff that I'll never be able to explore. I get this feeling of dread when I do all the stuff or find all of the things in a game. That's why I like RPGs. So I guess this is a pretty good example of how different people can be.
We can definitely agree that we are opposites on this matter. And I don't feel that there is anything wrong with that.

Even if for the sake of argument it was a certainty that 90% of your playerbase for KF2 prefered things the way I do (which is not likely even close to reality), you would still probably attract a large audience of players who prefer things the other way. So any points I can make regarding current player preferences are meaningless.

But I can still speak for myself and say that I, personally, like the old DLC model better.

Upvote 0
I assume it would be kindof like TF2, maybe randomly just based on time in-game or at the end of a match with an alert dealie or something. Of course that's just speculation. At the rate people are replying to this thread individual posts are getting buried pretty quickly.

I think it will be at the game's end, because if they use the same system

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Read the thing, there is an in game store where you can buy some skins. (and also steam market)

Do you really think i will buy a golden skin for over 10$?

The DLC would have been 10$ for more than one golden skin(look at the KF1 pack)
There is no way, that the market compensates a DLC buy, because the player set the price...

I hope you understand me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think they would make any USB/skins drop when you win or when you lose. Because having them drop mid-game would distract everybody, and it would be a mad rush to get a key or skin, and on HOE (which is where I'm going to go ahead and guess the most valuable stuff will drop), will be instantly fatal and a bad choice for gameplay.

Upvote 0