• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Word From The Trader

Tripwire to be honest I like what you did here believe it or not. The thing I don't like is fact I can end up with bad looking skin or a good one.

I also have a question dose the Battle-scarred, Field-tested, Mint is it just for the weapons or clothing as well? if it effect's clothing I'm really going to be pissed-off.

Also a suggestion you should try and do what Valve dose with *chest* in Dota 2. If you already have a item from chest it will randomly give you something different from the list till you get everything from that chest. They add a rare or extremely rare item to help drive profit that item dose not go by list of the other items. This way people keep buying Keys to unlock chest in hope of getting rare item by RNG.

Upvote 0
The overall mood of the thread seems to be pretty sour, and I've definitely contributed. Allow me to do my part to fix it.

Tripwire, thank you for this update. I like having more customization options. Thank you for communicating and listening to feedback. Thank you for doing this in Early Access; just like anything else in the game, it's probably going to require some tweaking.

Thank you for not just dropping this all in a final, unchangeable form after the game has already been released - I heard that something like that happened and ruined PD2, though I don't have any experience with that.

Overall, thanks for doing things in a transparent, community-friendly way. Thanks for making an awesome game. I'm playing it right now.

Upvote 0
I've seen the question asked a few times in this thread already, but I'm going to ask it again, because how TW does it could severly affect gameplay.

According to the ZED-Conemy page, it says there will be ingame drops for weapons skins and the like. Will these drops take place during actual waves, or when the game is over (winning or losing)?

I doubt they plan on having planes fly over and drop items. Causing evceryone to ran around and trying to get them before other players can.

Id expect at the games end you would see drops. while get the map achievements screen.

Upvote 0
Cannot agree enough with a number of posters here, this obsession with following CS:GO needs to stop.

Hard to ignore it like some suggest when all my teammates are wearing Abraham Lincoln hats and have day-glo orange guns that luck effing stupid, ruining the look of the game.

Give me an option to force default models, and I can ignore this entirely.
Please guys, think of those of us who don't want to play :

Skin-trading-simulator-2-electroboogaloo.

Upvote 0
Could be nice depending on how they finalize the implementation of the "Zed-conomy" and how it goes from there on out. I see that a lot people are not a big fan of randomized drops and some prefer to have the option to not view other's cosmetics. The second some people saw "microtransaction", they immediately thought about the recent PayDay2 debacle causing them to overreact.

There are three pages on the Zed-economy:

http://killingfloor2.com/Zedconomy/
http://killingfloor2.com/Zedconomy/faq.html
http://killingfloor2.com/Zedconomy/details.html

I believe most people are upset because they wanted to see more news related to the Patriarch, Gunslinger, etc. and not on microtransactions, causing many to believe that they're solely concentrating on microtransactions now.

Quoting Yoshiro from the past:

Why aren't you working on the core game?

For most development studios, you will end up with people or teams that have little to no work left on a project as it progresses through development. You can either move those people/teams onto different projects (if you have them) or let them go. Letting people go is bad on several fronts. It loses you talent (that you may have worked hard to acquire) that most likely will not come back and work for you, and it also makes it harder to hire new talent if your company is known to let people go when a project ends (You can read some great corporate BS on aligning teams with profits or some such on Gamasutra, almost all the big publishers have said something on the subject at one point or another).

We at Tripwire are often slow to grow so we never end up in a situation where we've hired somebody we need to let go. This often leaves most of our team tasked at somewhere between 90 and 120% of their capacity. We do this so we do not overextend ourselves but it does mean that sometimes development does not go as fast as we (or the community) would like. But due to the nature of game development we also have people who have finished their scoped work for a game before the rest of the game is done.

The timing could have been a bit better. I don't think many people would have got worked up about this if they knew the update was one / two days away or on the same week as this announcement. (Of course if the update is actually due this week, I'd have no way of knowing.)

I'm going to remain neutral with a pinch of optimism until its release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great, the thing I hate most about CS:GO/TF2/Advanced Warfare/Payday 2/every other game that has randomized loot boxes is now here. I'd rather just pay for things up front than have a chance of a chance at getting something I actually want.

Regardless of my personal feelings, this is incredibly terrible timing. Not only is the game still in Early Access, but this comes off the heels of Payday 2's controversy. This is a bad decision sandwich.

I only found out about this because I went to Reddit and saw posts like this all over /r/killingfloor. There are people far more displeased than I am.

Whether or not there is a tangible bonus from these items (e.g. stat boosts to weapons), the fruit still grows from the same tree that people are tired of seeing. No one demanded that we have a carbon copy loot crate system lifted wholesale from other annoying games.

Upvote 0
I'll admit, as I was reading the first post I could feel my blood start boiling, but I'll keep this civil.

It's a shame the weapon DLCs didn't do well in KF1, as that is the system I prefer.
I bought the packs that contained the individual weapons I liked.

Being able to purchase a specific cosmetic item, that's even better if the price is right.

This crate/key system where the crate is provided to you for free, but you have to purchase the key?
I frown upon it because it's specifically made to play with your head.

People are more likely to spend money if they receive one part for free, but they have to spend a small sum on the other part.
The fact that the crate may contain something very rare that few players have, that's the icing on the cake.

Valve aren't stupid, they employ the help of psychologists to come up with this stuff.

It's difficult for me to put into words how much I despise these economies in games.

Spending money to have a go at rolling a crooked die to "win" a skin, that's bad enough.
Having different classes of skins, some being of more value than others?
I don't support it one bit.

I'm not a completionist, but even if I wanted one specific cosmetic item, the odds of me getting this item would be against me.

I bought TF2, it came with the orange box at the time.
It was a fun and simple game, but I stopped playing it because it became a bloated piece of crap.
Taking up more and more space on my hard drive for items that were locked to me.

Please don't go down this road.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The following is aimed to people who dislike/hate this announcement :

Like you (if you feel concerned), I dislike that CS:GO skin system with those crates/keys stuff.
Will I stop playing KF2 for that reason ? No.
Will I still support TWI ? Yes.

Like it has been mentioned on the website and mentioned here again, you are NOT forced to buy and use the skins. I know some people who played and enjoyed TF2/CS:GO/PAYDAY 2 with the default weapons only (even if gameplay stats changes were involved) and they will do the same with KF2.

You got a weapon skin crate ? Give it to an friend who is interested in or just sell it, done.

I would very like to thank TWI so much for making all this stuff cosmetic only, I (and I guess a lot of players) wouldn't want to have something like "PAYDAY 2 Black Market Update" where cosmetics boost stats (yes, buying the drill (key) to open the safe (crate) and get a white AK that add +4 stability. I don't see the relation between a painting improving weapon stability).

To make this short, if you stop playing KF2 because of this, then stop playing any game. You are acting like those CS:GO players who cry and rage because of the FN P90, G3SG-1 and FN SCAR (the "autonoobs")
Just wanted to add that even if you hate all the skins/don't like the CSGO crate system, I've literally made over 50 dollars (over the cost of the game) just selling skins. I use super cheap ones that I get and like, but sell everything else.

Not sure that'll sway you, but I love the crate system for reasons that have nothing to do with the crates themselves, and everything to do with making money on things I am not interested in :)

Upvote 0
Personally i dont really mind. They're cosmetic, ur getting free stuff on top and its just exactly what KF1 had.

But the timing was incredibly poor with the Payday 2 fiasco that is STILL going on.

AND KF2 is now being review bombed on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/232090/ :(

You're gonna have to get on this one quick or **** is going to get out of hand incredibly fast

Upvote 0
I'm all for csgo style gun skin to the game. Adds nice variety to looks of the weapons, doesn't imbalance the game or add pay2win bull****, gives the company more money so they can work on the game more post release without losing money.

I just hope they keep their efforts focused on finishing/balancing the game before adding too many more etc stuff like skins, but if their staff that makes textures and stuff already did all their work for an upcoming update, I see no problem for the to spend their extra time making skins to spice up the game. As long as it doesn't delay more important content it's fine.

As long as it's not like payday and they sell 50 payed dlc packs that make noticeable gameplay difference like skins that add bonus damage or stupid crap like that it should be fine.

Purely cosmetic skins = OK
Skins that add stats = NOT OK

If this system means that there will be free weapon packs post release as opposed to kf1 having all payed weapon packs, I'm all for this one. I'll prob spend a bit of dosh on it either way, but I'd definitely rather have the gameplay changing stuff stay free and cosmetic stuff be payed for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wait I thought that happened awhile ago. . .did they do it again? o_0

Payday 2's black market was released on October 15th. It's only been just over a month. In terms of gaming community opinion, it might as well not have even been a day yet. 11 days ago, they announced another gameplay-affecting skin effect was added to the game, adding even more fuel.

They are still actively taking flack from it, in no due part thanks to their blase attitude and refusal to consider or change the system because it was profitable. Last week, their forum moderators went on strike because of the backlash until they could interiew the developers. 2 days ago, they attended this interview.

Payday's scandal is still ongoing. The bullet left the gun a month ago, but the smoke hasn't even cleared, never mind cooled the barrel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Payday 2's black market was released on October 15th. It's only been just over a month. In terms of gaming community opinion, it might as well not have even been a day yet. They are still actively taking flack from it. Last week, their forum moderators went on strike because of the backlash until they could interiew the developers. 2 days ago, they attended this interview.

Payday's scandal is still ongoing. The bullet left the gun a month ago, but the smoke hasn't even cleared, never mind cooled the barrel.
Okay I was probably thinking of something else.

Upvote 0
I'm very excited for this! Cosmetic items only was a great way to go, and a great way to continue supporting the game. I'm not quite sure why people would be upset over paying for a skin. Many games have to adjust to this kind of model now days. I'm glad it isn't putting classes behind pay walls or anything gameplay related, this was a good choice!

Upvote 0
Sweet, lots of hard info there in the FAQ and such! This I like, sounds like you are getting everything tied up! Looking forward to the cosmetics more than I thought I would, that heavy gas mask would look great on my firebug!

I have one thing to bring up: Perk progression whilst offline. Is this planned? It'd be great to try gunslinger without being stuck at level 0 for the forseeable future!

Upvote 0