• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - Feedback

Meh situational awareness is not that important anymore.

Lol, tell that to the person who backpedals away from one zed and straight into the arms of three others.

Or the medic who is failing to keep people healed 'cause they're too concerned with themselves.

Or the 'zerker who gets taken out by a fireball while playing whack-a-crawler.

Situational awareness is the single most important skill to have in ANY (good) FPS, especially KF2. Anyone can "aim well" or learn a few cheap strategies/tricks, so situational awareness and tactical sense are what really separate good players from the bad.

(That and a sense of style, but that's another topic)

Upvote 0
Lol, tell that to the person who backpedals away from one zed and straight into the arms of three others.

Or the medic who is failing to keep people healed 'cause they're too concerned with themselves.

Or the 'zerker who gets taken out by a fireball while playing whack-a-crawler.

Situational awareness is the single most important skill to have in ANY (good) FPS, especially KF2. Anyone can "aim well" or learn a few cheap strategies/tricks, so situational awareness and tactical sense are what really separate good players from the bad.

(That and a sense of style, but that's another topic)

I think you misunderstood me. And people who backpedal from anything got bigger problems anyway (both a worse situation to deal with as well as a lack in certain abilities).
What I mean is if you turn your back on a spawn and there is nobody on your team who covers it then it’s neither a question of if nor when you get backstabbed. There is just one answer: CONSTANTLY. There is nothing to react to so situational awareness doesn’t apply.

Upvote 0
Meh situational awareness is not that important anymore. The situation is always grim - close spawns and teleport make sure of that. Plus when you constantly have to turn around for backstabbing clots then you can forget about being effective at your primary task anyway.
In KF1 you were able to push back your lane then check your 6 during the time you bought. Hardly possible anymore in KF2.

I originally wanted to disagree with you but that's mostly because of semantics.
situational awareness is still important but it is true that the situation that we have to be aware of is a whole load more problematic because of mechanics that have been put into the game.

I remember the good old days of watching my direction for enemies and knowing that with no present enemies I could glance at my squads situation and check that things were good with a knowable time (based on experience) when I had to look back to ensure no enemies were present.

With the 'teleport into no viewed spawn point' mechanic we have now I have often glanced at my allies with an understanding I had 3 seconds until an enemy would be half way to me and 6 seconds until they would be on me...turn back after 4 seconds and a clump have spawned on me.

I think the real crux of it all is not that situational awareness is out the window but that because of the spawn mechanics and current map spawn points we almost get punished for trying to obtain that situational awareness because if you take you eye off the spawn point then zeds will teleport in.

I do think a lot of this is just teething issues and a combination of poorly implemented mechanics and (if we're honest) a lack of experience with the current zeds. Stalkers seem a lot quicker (although it might just be them teleporting in on me) and higher difficulties shift the curve dramatically with speed.

We need to adjust to changes and approach it as a new game. Watched a great 'Smarter Everyday' video about riding a backwards bike. This makes me think of that. We have a set scheme in our minds of how to defend a position and how to deal with the zeds. Our brains are deceived into using that scheme because we are playing KF but the fact is that things are different and that scheme might be completely wrong for the current game. Almost entirely wrong at times. First time I AA12 to Boomstick combo'd a scrake and he ended me I knew that adjustments had to be made.

Upvote 0
Personally I like the clot grab and turn, it's disorienting and is really the only thing that makes clots a decent threat since their damage is so pitiful. Zerker does need a rather large rework (and I still suggest changing the name to Survivalist based on the fact that all their gear is ad hoc or multi use tool) and nice to see some one else knows how damn flammable caulk is, although, foam may work better 'cause it squirts all over the place more easily.

Now then with the 'perk' trees, I don't like how it currently fits as 'help yourself' or 'help the team' perhaps it could work in a manner of 'choose how you help the team' like Commando for instance with the Call Out, add in an alternate option for Spotter which shows HP bars of VISIBLE zeds (meaning stalkers wouldn't show up unless they attacked) so the Commando has to choose, either let people see stalkers (making them less likely to get ganked) or see HP on enemies so they know how to react to FP/Scrakes

Upvote 0
Nice that new sounds are on the way. Hope that this means that there will be no "silent moments" anymore where the music just cuts off for a second (in Zed Time)

What bothers me in this state, that the general gameplay is to similar to kf1. We need more variety, maybe a flying Zed that can grab players, or a Tank that can heal/buff other zeds. or how about giving the Husk the ability to shoot smoke rockets. That would force your team to move around more.

Upvote 0