• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 2 announced for Playstation 4 - BRAND NEW TRAILER!

Someone on the other thread made the accusation that Tripwire is bringing KF2 to consoles to combat piracy, and stated that "Consoles are real money and money = success." I typed up my reply before the thread got shut down... so now I'm just gonna post it here, along with my reservations about this announcement.

I disagree vehemently with the accusation that people bring games to consoles for money, or to combat piracy. You can pirate on consoles, too. In-fact there is actually more pirating on consoles per-person than there is on PC, because PC has such a large installed user-base of people who play games. Yes, more PC copies of games are pirated than console games, but that's simply because there are more PC gamers. It isn't an innate problem with the platform. All-in-all, you suffer a higher individual chance of having your game pirated on consoles than on PC. Here is my source on this information, and you will find their own sources at the bottom of the page.

Also -- not even counting legit piracy, there's something you can do on consoles which you can't do on PC... loan your games to friends. I've beaten Sunset Overdrive on my Xbone without ever buying it because a friend loaned it to me. Though I didn't pay for the game, and it still hurt the developers, this isn't counted as piracy -- while it basically IS piracy in everything but name, and the fact that I'll have to give the game back after I've finished with it.

So, in summary -- no, I don't think Tripwire is bringing Killing Floor 2 to PS4 to combat piracy or "succeed" as you put it. If they hadn't succeeded already, they wouldn't still be around. I think they're just bringing it to consoles so that more people have a chance to play the game.

....That being said, I would REALLY like an Xbone port as well. I'm gonna play it on my PC, but a port for the Xbone would be nice.
I also share many reservations other people on the threads have. Killing Floor was brutally hard on the higher difficulties, and I think elements of that might no longer be present if a console port is in mind. Most people simply cannot aim as accurately or quickly on consoles as you can on PC's.

Upvote 0
Also -- having just seen the trailer, I think there's something a lot of people are glossing over which is very important. While yes... the welder gun and the scrake and all that are nice...

KF2 confirmed for playable female character(s?) on launch

You can see a playable female character (who does not seem to be Ash) in the line up 14 seconds in.

Upvote 0
Also -- having just seen the trailer, I think there's something a lot of people are glossing over which is very important. While yes... the welder gun and the scrake and all that are nice...

KF2 confirmed for playable female character(s?) on launch

You can see a playable female character (who does not seem to be Ash) in the line up 14 seconds in.

This shouldn't matter at all. Gender in games is an issue because people are needlessly making it one.

Anyway, as I said in the other thread, I'm indifferent to KF2 releasing on the PS4 as long as it doesn't affect the PC version at all.

Upvote 0
An interesting note on the blog:

We decided that the best way to go was to develop KF2 on both platforms in parallel and not look at the console like some after-thought port.

So hopefully both versions will be top notch and no sacrifices have to be made.

>Cross platform.
I hope not. Having newbies join your HoE server was bad enough. Inb4 PS4 player kick plugin.

Then the simple solution is to password your server and play with friends. In a perfect world everyone would be awesome at the game.

Upvote 0
I am excited, but I have my reservations. Valve and Tripwire are one of the few remaining developers that haven't abusively cashed in their customers good will to make a profit. I hope the pc community doesn't get taken advantage of. A short list of my concerns:

* Console release negatively impacts gameplay on all platforms.

* Pc player base used as buy-in beta testers to refine release for Consoles

* Price of game is automatically raised to match the pricing on consoles.

* Dlc becomes frequent, piecemeal and expensive while not adding substantial content.

* The ability to mod is lessened for compatibility reasons.

* parity in platforms is artificially created.

* Patches , updates , and events come less frequently. Approval for consoles takes longer and cost more.

I want to buy this game asap but i have been burnt too many times to blindly and trustingly give my money away. As TWI divulges more information on what to expect , I will make my decision then.

Upvote 0