• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor open world

BombasticMime

Mar 23, 2019
I love the game as it currently exists, but would like the game possibly venture into a substantial new direction. i wonder, would it be possible to make KF an open world type of experience? Maybe like L4D or some of the other zombie coop games? We've pretty much tried everything else up to this point, right?

Since when L4D was an open world?

And even that if the game went open world, it wouldn't be killing floor anymore.... The core of it would be completely gone, and it would look weird.
An open world filled with zeds that get demolished by army tanks and attack helicopters... Not that much power compared to the Prototype infected (because they are indeed infected and not build in factories/labs like zeds are) or a quarantine zones that are in dying light.
I honestly don't see anything that can be grabbed onto that could work as an open world title.

Tbh i'd rather have a story mode right noe.
Where you re-live in re-imagined maps from kf1 that are still in the UK, going from map to map on a timeline basis with explenation of why you were sent there, what you were hoping to find and what you did with the place to later be sent on another location.
Up to the end of the line and then continuing story in kf2 maps.

And While you re-live the kf1, you can only choose the characters that came from the UK, since Ana and others are from europe.

Reactions: BombasticMime
Upvote 0
The open-world craze seems to be slowly dying out, and for good reasons... You don't do open-worlds for the sake of it.

The bread'n'butter of the franchise is definitely mowing down hordes of zeds with an arsenal that goes increasingly more powerful. 'nuff said.

At most you could ask for some sort of Resident Evil-esque story mode, meaning you'd have to follow a specific path...But it would tell a story. I think that's the best way to do something else with the serie. Because as an open-world... I honestly don't know what you'd do that would be different enough from Dying Light.

Reactions: BombasticMime
Upvote 0
Would've said "Dying Light" as opposed to L4D as an example of open world.

But in addition to the issues addressed above, a campaign mode in KF2 would make more sense in the design of the game-- If there were to ever be an open world concept, it would have to be a spin-off game rather than a major update.

The alternative I can think of is to provide players with a world-map mission selection screen as opposed to a list-type mission selection. That would provide the illusion of traveling to different locations.

Upvote 0
You guys are right, L4D isn't open world; but i mentioned it because their campaign mode is probably the best way to do objectives in coop. KF converted to a campaign would have players role playing a story through several KF maps transitioned by safe houses. That seems by like an open world compared to the sandlot experience we have in KF. Sure the progression is scripted but usually there are different ways do accomplish things each time you play to always make things interesting. That's one of the reasons that gave L4d so much replay value. i am still trying to get used to there not being a sequel.

Anyway, as for a open world game proper, i suppose it would be hard to do without making an entirely new game like you have all said. I don't think that it would be impossible. There are many creative minds out there and hopefully this thread will be food for thought.

Upvote 0
BombasticMime;n2332626 said:
You guys are right, L4D isn't open world; but i mentioned it because their campaign mode is probably the best way to do objectives in coop. KF converted to a campaign would have players role playing a story through several KF maps transitioned by safe houses. That seems by like an open world compared to the sandlot experience we have in KF. Sure the progression is scripted but usually there are different ways do accomplish things each time you play to always make things interesting. That's one of the reasons that gave L4d so much replay value. i am still trying to get used to there not being a sequel.

Anyway, as for a open world game proper, i suppose it would be hard to do without making an entirely new game like you have all said. I don't think that it would be impossible. There are many creative minds out there and hopefully this thread will be food for thought.

That would be more of a "progressive map" than an "open world map", but I get the point. KF started out as a humble Doom-esque (lots of enemies, lots of guns) of its own category, but KF2 has left many players with bigger imaginations. The KF2 team has experimented with this concept before, noteworthy being "The Descent" for being the first, but the progression to each segment is not tied into a story element and each sub-level is not expansive, unlike L4D. Of course, KF1 also experimented with this concept with the final few objective-driven maps, that was a hit and miss with the crowd but I suspect it was because certain mechanics did not reach their full potential and the maps were relatively tiny (at least, aesthetically) compared to the L4D universe that gave an illusion of expansiveness.

[EDIT] the other thing that restricted campaign/objective maps in KF1 (and perhaps KF2) as well was the crowd expectation that it has to be compatible with Survival mode, or if a map is released but it isn't Survival, it is automatically bad. I'd say "**** that", because variety being the spice of life, the players complaining about objective-oriented maps have a buffet of unofficial Survival maps to explore. And frankly, people do burn out on Survival maps eventually.

In any case, progressive maps would be a welcomed change of pace in my books.

Last edited:
Upvote 0