• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Survivalist

KillerGerbil

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2011
I do find it weird that everyone got mad about the survivalist being everyone but ****...and then all the rework suggestions I see or just that...but buff....

The survivalist needs an Identity, and with the inclusion of survivalist perk only weapons...I think we're getting somewhere...

[Perk per level]

Weapon damage ----------------------------- +0.6 per level
Exclusive weapon damage --------------- +0.8 per level
Damage resistance -------------------------- +1% per level (idk why it's called global resistance...)
Zed Reload time ------------------------------ +3% per level

Versatility (select your starting weapon and either a Medic grenade, Molotov, or Freeze grenade.)
Lone wolf (When you are alone or no other players are alive, you gain 10 carry weight and 10% damage reduction.)

[Perk Tree]

Tier 5

Left - Vanguard
If you hold the bash button while holding a perk exclusive weapon, you gain a forward facing shield that blocks 1 attack based on the weapon.
  • [*=1]Only applies to survivalist only weapons [*=1]You cannot shoot or sprint while active [*=1]The shield deals damage and applies effects based on the shield type when consumed [*=1]Example: If using the cryothrower, you can get an ice shield which blocks...riveting stuff...This can absorb a husk shot for example as an additional defense.
Right - Juggernaut
Clots cannot grab you. You gain 20% fire and siren resistance, and increase your max health by 25%
--------------------------------

Tier 10

Left - Small Arms Expert
Increase reload speed with Commando, Gunslinger and SWAT weapons, and increases your damage by 10% with those weapons.

Right - Heavy Weapons Training
Increase reload speed with Demolitionist, Sharpshooter and Support weapons, and increases your damage by 10% with those weapons.

Tier 15

Left - Frenzy
While you are above 20% health you gain 20% melee damage, and 50% attack speed. While below 20% health you gain 20% damage reduction, and regain 5 health per second.
  • Health regain is done at 1 health per 0.2 second intervals, not a flat 5 every second.
Right - Ruthless Killer
Whenever you kill a Fleshpound or a Scake, they are obliteration and nearby zeds begin to flee

Tier 20

Left - Lazarus
Once per wave you can resurrect a dead ally by interacting with the location they died.
  • If you would die before using this, it revives you instead
  • Revives target to 50% of max health
  • Ally receives all equip they owned from anyone inventory or the ground (A warning will appear if an ally is using it that they are about to lose it.)

Right - Elemental Aptitude
When an enemy is effect by burning, frozen, or electrocuted status effect. they build up stacks up to 25 by taken further damage, at max stacks they explode deal damage equivalent to the activator type.
(Thought this was a bit more cleaver and specific to the survivalist then Zedsplosion.)

Reactions: DrunkGerman
I'm definitely with you with the "identity" that the survivalist need... They are obviously making him a "real" perk, since he got unique weapons (which are not "off-perk"), so it's definitely a good idea.

-I find his stats to be quite simple yet effective. It would greatly improve the survivalist to be able to choose which road he aims to take FROM THE GET GO. Picking your T1 is a nice step-forward (that should be then applied to all perks... we need more lower-tiered guns!)

-Lvl 5 : I don't know if "vanguard" is that effective, regarding the fact that the survivalist only has "two" weapons...Which happen to be more tools than real primaries. In the end, you might end up never using your skill. Juggernaut on the other hand, feels mighty superior.

-Lvl 10 : As another member pointed out in another post, I don't know if it's the right path to take to split up the tactical reloadS... After all, you want to spice your arsenal, to encourage combos and allow people to experiment.

-Lvl 15 : I guess both skills could work! I totally see both being useful anyway. Having zeds fleeing might be a bit annoying sometimes (if you snipe a scrake from afar for example), but after getting mauled by a FP... I'm sure that'd be nice to get a few extra seconds to heal ! Neato.

-Lvl 20 : I'm totally pumped for Lazarus, which is an idea I (and multiple members) already suggested before (as a defibrillator item rather than a skill). I'm a bit more skeptical for elemental aptitude as it's again, quite situational... But while KF doesn't have many elemental weapons, the few available would be made INSANELY FUNNIER

Upvote 0
Improved reloads for survivalist should be one skill for everything. A contrasting loadout should be one of survivalist's main strengths, and a skill as important as reloads should support that. A unified reload skill would open up a new alternate skill to it. This could be something interesting and special, or it could simply be a modest global bonus damage that would make up for survivalist's weak bonus damage passive.

Choosing your grenade and your starting weapon is definitely the right idea, but I would suggest a different set of grenade choices. Preferably, you could choose from all of them. But if there were only a few picks, molotov and medic grenade are a bit samey with their lingering effects, so I'd recommend just one of those. Frag, Med, and Freeze grenades being your options would give you nicely distinct functions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
Azukki;n2330856 said:
Improved reloads for survivalist should be one skill for everything. A contrasting loadout should be one of survivalist's main strengths, and a skill as important as reloads should support that. A unified reload skill would open up a new alternate skill to it. This could be something interesting and special, or it could simply be a modest global bonus damage that would make up for survivalist's weak bonus damage passive.

Choosing your grenade and your starting weapon is definitely the right idea, but I would suggest a different set of grenade choices. Preferably, you could choose from all of them. But if there were only a few picks, molotov and medic grenade are a bit samey with their lingering effects, so I'd recommend just one of those.
Frag, Med, and Freeze grenades being your options would give you nicely distinct functions.

That would just make him everyone else, but bull****....The survivalist is one of those classes where to much gets out of hand fast...
making him have to commit to one type of weapon to be at least on par with the class he's fighting against is fair, making him have the choice of all grenades would just support my first statement...

Please keep the following in mind when talking about the survivalist and his rework.
  1. He has access to EVERY gun, this means he can easily counter any zed, and remove any weaknesses of perk standard weapons (like explosives) by being able to take a gun from ANYWHERE ELSE (like a shotgun)...to fix it...that alone is the tits....
  2. Giving him literally everything would make the argument of being other classes to start become null and void, for example if he gets 25% weapon damage, he can basically be a swat with more DR and utility, while still being able to apply number 1 on this list...
In short, one thing can EASILY get blown out of proportion with him like THAT.

Upvote 0
Aleflippy;n2330817 said:
I'm definitely with you with the "identity" that the survivalist need... They are obviously making him a "real" perk, since he got unique weapons (which are not "off-perk"), so it's definitely a good idea.

-I find his stats to be quite simple yet effective. It would greatly improve the survivalist to be able to choose which road he aims to take FROM THE GET GO. Picking your T1 is a nice step-forward (that should be then applied to all perks... we need more lower-tiered guns!)

-Lvl 5 : I don't know if "vanguard" is that effective, regarding the fact that the survivalist only has "two" weapons...Which happen to be more tools than real primaries. In the end, you might end up never using your skill. Juggernaut on the other hand, feels mighty superior.

-Lvl 10 : As another member pointed out in another post, I don't know if it's the right path to take to split up the tactical reloadS... After all, you want to spice your arsenal, to encourage combos and allow people to experiment.

-Lvl 15 : I guess both skills could work! I totally see both being useful anyway. Having zeds fleeing might be a bit annoying sometimes (if you snipe a scrake from afar for example), but after getting mauled by a FP... I'm sure that'd be nice to get a few extra seconds to heal ! Neato.

-Lvl 20 : I'm totally pumped for Lazarus, which is an idea I (and multiple members) already suggested before (as a defibrillator item rather than a skill). I'm a bit more skeptical for elemental aptitude as it's again, quite situational... But while KF doesn't have many elemental weapons, the few available would be made INSANELY FUNNIER

Ok going down the list real quick to explain my thought process
  1. Vangaurd: the key to vanguard is the fact that it has no cool down, it is a superior block including range attacks like a patriarch missile. Also do not forget the "Exclusive weapon damage" for the survivalist I added, which means his perk weapons are WAY more powerful in his hands than any other classes reacieving that on top of the 15% from "weapon damage"
  2. Lvl 10 I just talked about above.
  3. The key word is "Nearby" any teammate would like that small reprieve when being swarmed. (so basically what you said)
  4. Think about what elements do in this game, fire causes zeds to run around, freeze holds them still, and electricity stops their abilities, dealing this damage causes this effect to start to build up. Creating a chain reaction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
KillerGerbil;n2330880 said:
  1. He has access to EVERY gun, this means he can easily counter any zed, and remove any weaknesses of perk standard weapons (like explosives) by being able to take a gun from ANYWHERE ELSE (like a shotgun)...to fix it...that alone is the tits....
  2. Giving him literally everything would make the argument of being other classes to start become null and void, for example if he gets 25% weapon damage, he can basically be a swat with more DR and utility, while still being able to apply number 1 on this list...
In short, one thing can EASILY get blown out of proportion with him like THAT.

Point #1, a nice contrast of weapons in your loadout can be a major strength, but everyone has access to offperk weapons, with an extra click in the shop. Combining nicely contrasting weapons while having a perk majorly benefit your person (like defense, speed, carry capacity) is something berserker/medic/support can do, while also having their perk fully benefit one of their weapons. So contrasting weapon loadouts score points specifically in survivalist's favor only when he has notable benefits to those weapons, while letting them be contrasting.

Point #2, continuing your SWAT example, your suggestion of adding +10% SMG damage with small arms expert while keeping +15% passive damage would give survivalist the reloads and the damage for SMGs that SWAT is capable of, while encouraging his other weapons to not be too different from SMGs. My suggestion of unified reloads vs modest global damage, while also keeping +15% passive damage, would give him only the reloads or the damage that SWAT is capable of, while supporting contrasting other weapons in the loadout, keeping concerns of redundancy/replacement being blown out of proportion further away.

Upvote 0
Azukki;n2330898 said:
Point #1, a nice contrast of weapons in your loadout can be a major strength, but everyone has access to offperk weapons, with an extra click in the shop. Combining nicely contrasting weapons while having a perk majorly benefit your person (like defense, speed, carry capacity) is something berserker/medic/support can do, while also having their perk fully benefit one of their weapons. So contrasting weapon loadouts score points specifically in survivalist's favor only when he has notable benefits to those weapons, while letting them be contrasting.

Point #2, continuing your SWAT example, your suggestion of adding +10% SMG damage with small arms expert while keeping +15% passive damage would give survivalist the reloads and the damage for SMGs that SWAT is capable of, while encouraging his other weapons to not be too different from SMGs. My suggestion of unified reloads vs modest global damage, while also keeping +15% passive damage, would give him only the reloads or the damage that SWAT is capable of, while supporting contrasting other weapons in the loadout, keeping concerns of redundancy/replacement being blown out of proportion further away.

Off perks within context similar to their own weapons...Commando can use the m16 but not a m79....

A survivalist may use both but not nearly as effective as the owner classes. if they could...what would be the point of other classes...

Upvote 0