• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Something I thought of for support

KillerGerbil

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2011
So something real quick about the support tree kinda bugged me, and that was Fortitude VS Salvo....or as I like to call it, IDK vs DO your JOB...

Anyway the extra heath I think does belong to support since they always have to get close to get the most out of their guns, and since they have the carry weight to max out their guns upgrades. Salvo holds a lot of weight....that was a pun...that wasn't meant to be a pun ._.

So, anyway....here

[Perk per levels]

Max health +2% per level (Possibly)

[Perk Tree]

Tier 2 (level 10)

Left side: Gatekeeper
Description - Replaces your grenade with a portable wall. When an ally passes through it for the first time, grants a shield that blocks one attack within 5 seconds. Increases wielder rate by 20%​

In game notes:
  • Allies can pass through and shoot through this wall
  • Zeds cannot shoot though nor pass this wall
  • Wall can be wielded and turned into a Door Trap (Demo)
  • Wall does not have a high max health threshold (The damage dealt to a door before it automatically breaks.)
I feel like this is an arguable alternative to Salvo, Salvo massively increases your ability to dispatch while Gatekeeper gives you more utility.

Some ways this can be used in game
  1. See a large group of tier 4 zeds (Scrakes, Fleshpounds, Etc.) approaching a door, drop one in front of it and make it a door bomb as a "double buffer"
  2. Door breaks, through one past the door, demo makes it a bomb while you repair the door.
  3. See a large group coming while your team is scattering, block the door way to get some breathing room.
When it comes to balance that can be easily messed with, but I think a trees left and right should always have a strong argument against each other. and I think this does it well.

Actually interesting idea.
Only questions remain is:
-How long will shield last?
-How wide will it be?

The idea can also have a different design of having portable turrets.
when deployed have limited ammo and do enough dmg to kill trash zeds (25 dmg per shot?)
Also can works as a decoy (like how zeds can attack the cart but its a turret)
When ran out of ammo/destroyed, blows up and releases and emp charge.

Another passive that will make playing support less painful with him being such a money pit, and the suggestion i gave like a year ago.

Receive 20% ammo from your resupply when a teammate interacts with you.
With that you can somewhat compensate for your ammo on the next trader refill (paying 740 dosh just to refill aa12 is a lot)

Upvote 0
To the first part, talking about that now would just be silly, and should be established in the testing sphere.
I thought about the portable turret idea a long time ago, and my biggest problem with it was the player has no control over it.

This is game where the smallest step can take you the rest of the mile. adding something that automates removes good smarts and teamwork....that and it would either have to be bull**** or trash...
(On that note, maybe a class having the option to have portable mounted turret they can place and shoot instead of a grenade would be interesting....actually for commando tier 20 right...that be very interesting...hmmm)

As for the passive your brought up, I understand the reason. It can make selfish supports unbearable on HOE when they aren't carry that extra ammo for the team. However, having it does make some balance to the class and it's effectiveness with the team. Gaining certain strengths while losing others.

I think the offset of having 2 options that are very team oriented (Gatekeeper - resupply pack) as long as they take one or the other, they are very helpful to the team as a whole. Both just sweetens it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0