• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Berserker: Reducing the perk's skill dependency + Massacre buff

flashn00b

Grizzled Veteran
  • Feb 1, 2011
    Copy/paste from the Steam forums, but this will DEFINITELY come off as an unpopular opinion: I think the Berserker is actually underpowered. The reason I say that is that he really only becomes useful at Level 25 when he has all his skills. Without said skills, the only thing he really has is Perk Weapon Damage, while every other perk (including the Survivalist) have some amount of meaningful passives. Perhaps these changes would be welcome?

Passives

Perk Weapon Damage: 1% * Level
    Damage Resistance: 15% + (0.8% * Level)
    Damage Bonus on Parry: 15% * (1% * Level) (Parry is now a passive)
    Melee Attack Speed: 0.6% * Level
    Clots can't grab you
    Night Vision

Level 10
    Vampire: No longer has a melee attack speed bonus
    Butcher: Attack speed bonus reduced to 15%. (Total attack speed of 30% at level 25)

Level 15

Because the neutral damage resistance and the Parry skill have been moved over to passives, this one will be more or less of a rework

Natural Immunity: Gain 20% damage resistance vs. poison, sonic and fire damage

Frenzy: Gain a 5% Damage Bonus for every 6 HP lost. This DOES NOT stack with Dreadnought.

Natural immunity could be seen as a soft counter against Husks with the addition of fire resistance, though i think it would be more meaningful against the fireballs rather than the flamethrower.

Frenzy from my experience with the game back when there were only 4 perks really helped a lot against scrakes because you will botch your parries. Rather than "reward bad gameplay", it's more of a "claw your way out of a bad situation", because bad gameplay will still get you killed regardless if you have Frenzy or not.

Level 20

This is more about me being bothered by Massacre more than anything, but since we are talking about skill adjustments, might as well get this one out of the way

Massacre: Increase damage with light melee attacks and ranged perk weapons by 30% and 15% respectively. Also gain Tactical Reload on perk weapons

Because Smash is always better in most situations. The adjustments to Massacre would at least give the VLAD some amount of utility.

TODO

Level 5 skills. I really don't know how you'd adjust these to make room for better passives.