• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

possibility of steamless release?

Why such a need for a non-steam version? Many people ask for non-steam versions of games, but why won't you use steam?

Why would you use Steam? :p First of all theres the thing that you need to install a third-party program on your computer, you also need to run the 3rd party program when you want to play the game. Also the game is only accessible through the 3rd party platform and you dont really own the game, theres a lot of problems Steam can cause.

I myself think that Steam is hurting the market, maybe not yet, but you just wait, it will and I understand people that want to refrain from using it.

E.g. The Ball was available through other shops and completely w/o DRM too! That would be nice!

Upvote 0
It's possible they might release a retail version, but it'll basically just be an install disc with a key code you enter on Steam to register it with your account. I highly doubt that they will release a completely Steam-free version though; Tripwire's games have always been Steam only, and I don't see them starting with Dwarfs.

Upvote 0
Why such a need for a non-steam version? Many people ask for non-steam versions of games, but why won't you use steam?

I like steam and use it for all my games, and are at a point I do not buy games that aren't on steam.

But steam got a monopoly nearly in on-line distribution some do not want to support that. And finally in case of bad internet steam's drm is horrible, and its offline mode often doesn't do what its supposed to do.

Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
Upvote 0
While it would be fun to have a Steamless release, and even a Mac / Linux release, we have to put things against each other! Both these things would require a lot of work. It's not that we don't want to do that work, it's just, what could we do in that time?

At the moment we feel that making those who have bought it on Steam happy with free additional content, quick fixes and so forth is of higher priority than making ports!

I wish I could just clone myself but from what I found on google that technology doesn't seem to be quite ready yet :(

Upvote 0
Thats not up to Gabe, e.g. Tripwire hasnt got a straight conversion, its up to the publisher and voluntary.

But it would be really nice to see Dwarfs!? sold somewhere else too and without DRM would be great!

Well one of the hard parts of being a 2 man studio with only 1 programmer is that you can't do everything you want (at least not at once). If there are lots of people requesting this who knows :)

Upvote 0
While it would be fun to have a Steamless release, and even a Mac / Linux release, we have to put things against each other! Both these things would require a lot of work. It's not that we don't want to do that work, it's just, what could we do in that time?

At the moment we feel that making those who have bought it on Steam happy with free additional content, quick fixes and so forth is of higher priority than making ports!

I wish I could just clone myself but from what I found on google that technology doesn't seem to be quite ready yet :(

ok. thanks for the answer. oh well, guess I'll play some more Avadon The Black Fortress instead. good luck with your game.

what? I could ask this same question to you, why such a need to force steam down peoples' throat?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I'm sure you know what happens to DRM-free games these days.

what happens to drm free games these days? I am sure pirates are duplicating copies of dwards!? as I am typing this as well, so what? steam doesn't stop piracy any more than no drm doesn't stop piracy. this thread was only made with the intention of spending money in mind, piracy doesn't enter into it at any point.

edit: weird, what happened to my previous post?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I registered here solely to express interest in a non-Steam version of this game.
There are plenty of games where I go "Steam only? Oh well." and move on, but I'm interested enough in this game to actually go to the bother of registering here.

I was happy to see the game appear at GamersGate at first, until I realised they were just selling a Steam key.

._.

Unfortunately, I'm sure you know what happens to DRM-free games these days.

The same thing as happens to games with DRM?

It took me longer to take the screenshot than it did to find this torrent:

dwarfs.png

Sure I could just pirate it, but I don't do that. If I was just going to pirate it, I wouldn't have gone to the effort of asking you to release without requiring Steam.

So... please let me give you my money in exchange for the game. None of this 'subscription' crap that Steam forces on me.

Upvote 0
It has nothing to do with pirates. The hard thing is that we developed the game with steam support. Ripping it out will disable leader boards and other features. We felt that selling a less worthy copy is sort of a crime. But there is a version in production that might give the game a version without steam and mac support. But we don't want to talk to much about it before we know if it will work out and make it to the market. But there is somthing coming and I will have this in mind :)

Upvote 0
(possibility)... is zero, i'm afraid.

There are games that have a steam version and a disk version, where players of each can co-exist on servers - arma 2 and Borderlands come to mind.
This has to be the best option cos it offers choice whatever you think of steam.

Why such a need for a non-steam version?

Steam connection problems often messing up my perks in KF and preventing me from joining servers in RO.
Inability to play RO while another family member plays TF. I paid for both games, but can't use them concurrently.
Frequently having to 'activate steam on new pc', even though that pc hasn't changed. Going through the bother of looking up the code they sent and still finding it doesn't work - and having to try later.
My password often being not recognized, having to retrieve the account and reset again.

For me this cancels out the advantages of games being updated, nocd and a friends system.

These are practical issues i encounter - never mind my natural disdain for whats become a distribution monopoly, from a company i'm associating more and more with selling cosmetic items than producing quality games like i did before.
I will always be somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of someone controlling my use of something I've already bought, and with steam it's at it's most blatant.

Upvote 0
It has nothing to do with pirates. The hard thing is that we developed the game with steam support. Ripping it out will disable leader boards and other features. We felt that selling a less worthy copy is sort of a crime. But there is a version in production that might give the game a version without steam and mac support. But we don't want to talk to much about it before we know if it will work out and make it to the market. But there is somthing coming and I will have this in mind :)

Thanks for the honest and informative reply! It's really nice when devs do that, you've made me feel all warm inside. :)
I don't mind so much about leaderboards but I can see how you wouldn't want to have less features in one version. If there's a steam-less version in the future then I'll definitely buy it (as long as it doesn't have any online activation), if not oh well. I promise not to complain about it any more. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0