• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Multiplayer Story?

NumberZero

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2013
I've been tinkering with the SDK a bit, and I've come across something (to my knowledge) that hasn't been done in Killing Floor yet. With the original KF mod release, there was a story map. The retail release of Killing Floor didn't even have a story mode in it, but now we have objective mode :D

I have created a map where you (and hopefully your team-mates) are placed in the underground Horzine laboratories. But the catch is that you're all split up. The map itself is huge and features loads of custom content. I tried to give it the ol-classic KF feel by using mostly stock textures and static meshes, although new sounds, textures, and zeds are present in the map. The map I'm working on is a loosely-based story map, where the players are given the opportunity to roam the halls of the labs.

Does anyone think that this is a good idea, or has it been done before, or just boring? The map already has about 25 hours put into it, and could use another 25 to release a beta. Should I continue?

The retail release of Killing Floor didn't even have a story mode in it, but now we have objective mode :D
Thats because the mod didnt have a story mode either, it was removed. The coding was left in the game...which is why we had Mission maps in TWI's KF since 2009...TWI is just REALLY LATE and need something new in their game (Cause the same event, a new map, new weapons, a DLC skin, and weapon related achievements is getting really old now).

Alex_KF did make Story Mode (Which isnt even played unless its the edited Doom version.) which counts as the beta verison of Objective Mode (Which also isnt played at all).

Will your map be anything like this?
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41204
Anyways good luck, we need more Objective maps we got only like 5 in total (not counting TWI's maps)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thats not true, Hillbilly Horror was a small map and has to be one of the most frame issue maps ever.

Even Steamland (Objective) runs better.

Hillbilly Horror is HORRIBLE. A large map that's well-optimized will consistently run with much higher frames than that map. I've actually taken to removing it from my servers unless players specifically ask for it.

Upvote 0
Sounds like we are going to have terrible frame rates... :(

Huge maps usually cause many performance issues.

The way I've set the map up is much different than any other KF map! Currently, the FPS drops only when you're observing the entire map in the SDK, which is fine with me because you'll never do that in regular KF. The intro sequence has fire and explosions mixed with AI bots and alarms, and it runs 30fps on graphics at full.

Note that I'm running an Integrated Intel Graphics card with 4gb of RAM, stock :D

But the map is coming along great! So far, it's reminding me of KF-TheHive, only because it has the same underground-lab feel. Don't worry, it won't be a rip-off of the Hive ;)

Upvote 0
30fps on graphics at full.

This is very bad for an FPS game.
It is not that bad for strategy games, but in FPS you have two variables. The frame rate, and the speed of the camera that the layer moves around.

Anything less than 60 FPS is not good for FPS games.

So i hope that this only happens in intro, because in movies, 30 FPS are fine.

Upvote 0