• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Tips for starting out?

I'm brand new to the franchise, and got RS because I'm tired of BF4, and that style of shooter.

I'm slowly getting used to dying a lot, and never really knowing from where I'm getting killed... but I'm also concerned that I'm doing something wrong! I team kill 2-3 times a match, and have a hard time figuring out where I am, and where I should be expecting the enemies to come from, and get confused when I don't get any form of feedback when I think I've shot somebody. I've only played 5 or 6 matches so far, and am starting to get better at distinguishing between Axis/Allies, but I haven't really felt useful yet.

Any tips for a beginning player? Are there any tutorials? What game-types should I focus on? I've only been playing hardcore territory so far. Should I try something else?

Thanks!

Start with bolt action rifles first... Once you are good with them, the other stuff is a piece of cake..Plus, you are less likely to be yelled at for others thinking you are not using it correctly. You can always pick up a dead persons weapon and use it. If you have time before you shoot, quickly pull up your map. If you are aiming at a blue or green dot, then dont pull the trigger.

Welcome to the Game! We all started where you are now. You will just get better.

Upvote 0
There is a training thing you can do.
Yeah as far as dying alot goes, this game isn't so much about KDR so it's good to not get into the mentality of trying to keep people from killing you, not that you should charge blindly, but you are a disposable asset to your team.
And tk is just something that everyone seems to do. Everyone on the servers I play is always talking about how different axis and allies look but I still do it plenty.
I also occasionally have a problem where I thought I hit someone and they don't respond, though this only happens in RS for me. Don't really know what to tell you about that.

First thing I would do, personally, is remap tab to your map. Your map is incredibly useful, your map can tell you where to expect enemies from and where you can make yourself useful; plus score shouldn't be important to you mid-game anyway (though you can always bind the scoreboard to something out-of-the-way like F1 or \.)
You should also map and get used to using spotting. If you played Battlefield you know largely how spotting works and it's a huge asset to your team.
Other than that I would just say do your best to do what your TL an SL say and stay with your squad and other team members and provide fire with them; out-shooting your opponent isn't exactly a reliable way of progressing, so you need your team and
THEY NEED YOU :O
Then you'll be useful, because it's the co-operation of everyone that wins the match.

Upvote 0
Get to know your overhead map and use cover as if your real life depended upon it. Be still when necessary as movement makes it easier for the enemy to spot you.

Learn to recognize the uniforms of your friendlies, when in doubt don't shoot (but don't stay vulnerable just in case). If you can, use VOIP or at least text chat. If you TK, remember to apologize and if it happens to you and they apologize, type NP in chat to forgive them.

This game usually plays better when you try to be part of your team and work together towards a common objective.

As you get the basics, everything else will just come to you and Welcome! :)

Upvote 0
Don't expose your self. Don't rush ahead blindly. Aim before you shoot (when possible). Camp, don't forget to crouch/prone. Never stand when you stop. Flank the enemy, don't set yourself up in their path and wait for them to come, it is too obvious.

Germans/Americans = Grey/Green

Russians/Japanese = Khaki/Brown

I have found that when defending, if you set up in a concealed position slightly ahead and adjacent to a cap zone, you can rack up the kills even with a bolt action as the enemy tend to charge directly toward cap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just follow along behind everybody else on your team. You're the new recruit for the squad and a little green behind the ears. Let the rest of the team lead the way and stick behind and close to them. Watch what they do and learn. Cover them when you can and provide support. Once you learn a few things and feel more comfortable you can start leading the charge in some areas.

But the main thing every new and old player needs to do is to learn the maps. Each map is different, there are specific areas that help you with cover or good vantage points.... And other areas that will end up getting you killed quickly.

At the main menu of the game go into the Workshop and setup a match with whatever map you want, mode, player count/bots, difficulty, etc. This will allow you to figure the maps out better without dying as much. They will also allow you to get familiar with the common areas of the map to expect the enemy.... As well as where objectives are.

As soon as you know a map inside and out, your confidence and abilities on that map increase a tonne and you will know when you can take chances and when to stay put and keep your head down.

Some new players get frustrated and quit because they start to figure things out and do well on one map, then it changes the map and they're right back to square one. They feel the learning curve is too steep and what they did before should work the same every time. Map familiarity is key. Even though I have played for a long time and played three different RO's, whenever I start playing a map I never tried before, I'm suddenly right back to being a rookie and dying a lot because I don't know the area very well. I could see the enemies in one spot and take cover behind a pile of sandbags.... Suddenly I'm killed because I left myself completely exposed to a building to the left of me that the enemy commonly holds.

And than I learn not to go there next time.

I then die again and learn what not to do again.... And again and again until I know how to keep myself alive for a decent amount of time.

So long as I can average 2-3 kills per life, I've had a good run.... But that's me being a level 99 and on a map I know well. Sometimes I can have a good streak and drop several players before dying.

If I was starting all over again and on a map I never played.... 1 kill every 2 lives would be a good run. Even to this day that run still happens. You have bad days, good days and epic ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All of the above as well as

- Think before you throw a grenade
- Use the sounds of enemy weapons to gauge where and how far away they are
- If you are moving across the battlefield, try move through gullies and not over hills
- If you are running through the battlefield, always try and keep a piece of cover between you and where you suspect enemies are

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I did the basic training. Still getting used to the controls, but I think I'm going to remap a few things..

Was just playing on Winterwald and racked up quite a few kills. Felt good. It's really nice to be able to play a game that actually caters to my senses; stay low, find cover are my natural instincts, and it's nice to play a game that rewards those tendencies (for the most part).

Something I'm having trouble with: staying behind cover. When I press LCTRL, sometimes I don't actually get down into cover, and instead pop up like a whack-a-mole, and get mowed down every time it happens

Upvote 0
I'll tackle friendly fire, since it's a common problem and one you mentioned. Between hero skins/map specific skins/lighting, uniform colour can be very misleading. Go by the silhouette/sprint run animation and above all.. their body language/position.

If someone is stationary and placed in such a position that they are in cover from the enemy positions but exposed to friendly ones... you can be almost certain they are a friend. This sounds obvious, but so many people are tked in such a situation. Think about what they're doing, what they're armed with. If they aren't aiming a gun at you don't feel you need to rush your judgement. Better to let an enemy by in the short term than needlessly tk someone.

Above all, accept that sometimes tks will happen, especially close quarter combat. That classic scenario in which you both turn a corner and you have to instantly react, that will always be heavy in tks. You just have to go with experience and reflexes in such a situation.

Upvote 0
- Use the sounds of enemy weapons to gauge where and how far away they are
Don't rely just on the sound. In many cases you will see allies and enemies using the counterpart weapon. Many high level machine gunners prefer the german MG for the 200 rounds belt. If you are german you will prolly see assault class players to use the ppsh for its high rate of fire. So, use the sound just as gauge that there is somebody somewhere, but you can't be sure if its friend or foe.

Upvote 0
:D

I'm going to share one of the most carefully guarded secrets of RO2. I've been employing this research to great advantage since 2006.

Get ready to take notes.

(raises a pointing finger in the air in a gesture of idiot profundity)

(He bellows loud enough to have his voice bounce off the rear wall of the hall)

"Ninety percent of the bullet stream at any given moment is about at waist level!"

(waits a pregnant moment for impact and for the echos to recede)

"Yup!"

(murmurs from the audience; the word crack-pot is clearly heard from somewhere)

"It's TRUE! SO..."

"STOP CHARGING FORWARD AT FULL HEIGHT!"

(waits another pregnant moment for impact, there are some nods of agreement)

"Stay BELOW the waist level bullet stream!"

"I do this by spending much of my time crawling."

"When moving out of spawn, be no HIGHER than a running crouch."

"If you are anywhere near the cap-zone you are approaching, (you have heard about the relevance of cap-zones, have you not?) you had better be flat on your belly and hopefully behind cover."

"PLEASE take the time to learn about a thing called COVER, It is almost as important as the discovery of the waist-high bullet stream!"

"Once in a cap zone, exert a mighty effort to refrain from peeking over stuff to shoot at someone. WAIT until some damn fool running at full-height through the bullet stream becomes visible. THEN you may shoot."

"REMAIN... (again waits for echos to subside) ...in the cap-zone until you see the message indicating your side controls it. Only then do you move forward BELOW full-height."

"IF you are defending, DON"T wander around outside the cap zone SEEKING the bullet stream. It will find YOU in due course." You will server your team far better by dying in the cap-zone than outside of it.

"THAT my friends is how to excell at RO2."

(Takes a sharp bow to the audience and is rewarded by hearing a rip from the seat of his pants)

"OH!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't rely just on the sound. In many cases you will see allies and enemies using the counterpart weapon. Many high level machine gunners prefer the german MG for the 200 rounds belt. If you are german you will prolly see assault class players to use the ppsh for its high rate of fire. So, use the sound just as gauge that there is somebody somewhere, but you can't be sure if its friend or foe.
Of course, but you only get what like 5 heroes per team? Still pretty good odds that the person shooting is an enemy. What I should have said was watch the kill feed in conjunction with hearing enemy weapons.

Upvote 0
Of course, but you only get what like 5 heroes per team? Still pretty good odds that the person shooting is an enemy. What I should have said was watch the kill feed in conjunction with hearing enemy weapons.

Don't forget everybody can pick up any weapon off the ground, so anybody could be using an enemy weapon.... But it is still wise to know the sounds each makes.

Upvote 0