• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suppression = Fumbling reload

bangalores

Dec 7, 2011
Not sure if it would even be possible to code this into the game at this point, but I was thinking the other night how cool it would be if the suppression effect actually modified reload times.

The mechanics of such a system don't have to be all that complicated; the heavier the incoming fire i.e. your level of suppression, the greater the amount of time it takes to reload your weapon. Considering many soldiers in WWII (and any war, for that matter) likely found themselves shaking when under heavy fire, I think a fumbling reload mechanic - complete with animations for shaky hands, of course - based on suppression would be a wonderful addition to a game as realistic as RO2/RS.

Last edited:
That does sound fantastic.
I suppose some could make the arguement that the soldiers would have reloading down to second nature or something.
But I'm not making that arguement, I will let other people argue and see where it goes :T

It occurs to me this should probably be in suggestions.

I thought of this too, but I think the whole point of a game like RO/RS is to focus on the experience of your average infantryman, not all of whom have nerves of steel.

Also, and this might be making it a bit complicated, but perhaps the fumbling effect could be gradually reduced (but never entirely eliminated) as the player climbs in rank. This would simulate the "second-nature" and experience arguments that could be made against such a system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, and this might be making it a bit complicated, but perhaps the fumbling effect could be gradually reduced (but never entirely eliminated) as the player climbs in rank. This would simulate the "second-nature" and experience arguments that could be made against such a system.
Oooo yeah I hadn't thought of that; something else to gain with rank.

Yeah that is neat. Since a honor 1 rifleman may be well trained in operating his rifle, his lack of combat experience may reduce him to fumbling with clips and loose bullets while trying not to soil himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm mayhaps, although since it would be difficult to make animations for each level of panicy reloadyness (aside from just slowing down the regular animation), mayhaps it could just be reserved for total suppression.
I mean, at that level of suppresion, the poor guy is seeing black and white, clearly he is seriously freaking out, and they don't make men manly enough to resist that amount of suppression; no on with any sense of reality can perform at all under that kind of pressure.

Upvote 0
mayhaps it could just be reserved for total suppression.

Having it activate for everyone only at full suppression would definitely simplify things.

it would be difficult to make animations for each level of panicy reloadyness (aside from just slowing down the regular animation)

Personally, I think it would be impressive enough to have just one fumbling animation and a slight slowdown for the intended effect, as you mentioned. After all, we're only talking a period of a couple seconds at most here - not enough time to warrant multiple unique stages of animation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am 100% for this idea. It would also give more purpose to the bayonet. Reloading is a tricky business especially with stripper clips, even more so when you are under fire. That's why the bayonet was invented. Banzai Charges already have a suppressing effect, it would only make sense that they also make reloading longer because of the surprise effect it caused in the Pacific War. Machine gunners would have another incitation to do suppressive fire, and close combat would be more interesting.

Upvote 0
I don't think new animations are needed. You can simply slow the animation (like TWI devs made with the animation of the soldier that gets hit and continues running, but in slow motion).
But if you slow the entire animation the final result would be a s***t ,it would be better with a slowing on the "difficult" parts of the reloading, like pushing down bullets, clips, attaching a belt or taking the ammo from your uniform, and with a "boost" on the "easy" parts, for example bringing the clip to your rifle should be more fast when suppressed, beacuse the soldier isn't in cover, he can' t reload quietly, there are bullets flying above your head, so, trying to reload ASAP, he reloads slower swearing against your clip/bullet that doesn't enter in the magazine at the first attempt.

Hope i was helpful, and sorry for my raped english.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I like the progression bonus since experience makes you more smoothlier with things like that.
You see people shooting and you can tell they've never used the firearm they're holding because the don't quite no how much pressure to apply to releases and buttons and they look like they are afraid they are going to break it.
So I think experience matters.

Upvote 0
This makes sense. It would give more purpose to the bayonet. Reloading a weapon in combat is a tricky business, especially with stripper clips. That's why the bayonet was retained in use. It also makes sense in regard to the Banzai charge suppressive effect because of the shock it caused to the Americans during the Pacific War. Plus this would another incitation for japanese players to do banzai charges.

Upvote 0
Brilliant idea! But. And its a huge but..... how are we going to make TWI code this? I mean, they wont punch in numbers to do the basic like fix PTRS/PZB penetration, fix flamer speed (they just gave us a rediculous excuse) etc... and you guys want them to code ? OH man, the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Other better ides suggested a pretty long time ago havent seen any reality. Until maybe when they finally release the vehicles, we will be able to see some hardcord fixing by twi.

Last edited:
Upvote 0