• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game stuttering (and other various issues)

LSD

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2009
Lincoln, England
Started up KF the other day, and remembered why i stopped playing: the stuttering's gone out of control for me. Haven't played in almost a year now, and i'm hoping i can get it resolved so i can start playing again.

The stuttering is the same stuttering that a lot of people have previously (and sometimes still do) report, only i don't just get it at the start of the wave -- i get it at random intervals throughout the wave, too.

I remember when Wyre was released being told to disable pre-caching in order to prevent the game crashing on map change (which worked). I'd like to try reverting back to the default game settings to see if this might have some effect, but i'm just curious as to whether that was ever addressed (so like, if i did re-enable pre-caching, would i face crashes? or was the crashing addressed in later patches?).

Also, does anyone know if changing the game's cache size has any effect on stuttering? I specifically remember following this thread, and increasing CacheSizeMegs to 256. Problem is, i can't remember the default setting. Would deleting killingfloor.ini give me a fresh copy of the .ini file?

The last thing i'm curious about is my KF folder: any ideas as to why i've got 14 copies of the same files in my KF\System directory?
default.ini
defuser.ini
gui2k4.int
KF-EvilSantasLair.int
KFGui.int
KFMod.int
There's 14 copies of each of those. Any ideas why?

Cheers!