• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Connection issue

Demonio_666

Oct 24, 2013
From the day of halloween update so some friends and I e have had the following problem when we try to go to multiplayer / Host game / profile and achievements we skip the message `` Steam must be running and you must have an active Internet connection to access this'' one of my friends just puts you download any map from the server to enter. e have tried to reinstall the game, check cache, restart both router as the pc delete all documents in the root folder of steam.

Guys check inside your KF/System folder for KillingFloor.log. It is a .txt file and inside there, you hopefully will find this next part but with a different file name at the end
Log: STEAMSTATS: SECURITY CHECK FAILED - ../System/KFPortalTurret.u

If you do, delete or move that file out of KF's folders. This stops your whitelisting from allowing your client to have any form of that. Not sure if that will help.

Upvote 0
Good evening,

This is happening to me as well, after the rollback update. Checked game files.

Searched "Log: STEAMSTATS: SECURITY CHECK FAILED" in the killingfloor.log, there's no line like that.

On the first launch I've been able to see the Profile & Achievements menu, then I clicked on Multiplayer; Now, can't play online nor see the page above. Joining through Steam gives an error.

Edit: Changing the Steam download location from "France - Paris" to "Spain & Portugal" seems to have fixed it, as suggested there:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1275077&postcount=3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am on a windows client and I too have the issue. the popup box isn't very descriptive and it doesn't throw an error other than;

steam must be running and you must have an active internet connection to access this

NOTE: Windows patching wasn't working on this box, so I did a refresh on the workstation and it ended up wiping out all games. I reloaded evry game back on same workstation and Steam thought this machine was an additional box, and had me do the code thing to verify and add this box to the list. I refreshed the box back in mid November....KF was working fine, until about 5-10 days ago.

I got it to stop for 1-2 game starts.

THEN, from the Profile and achievement submenu, I choose another character skin rather than the default one and I get the error once again. So, I can choose a new skin....I use the medic Alfred or whatever and save my selection.

I can then close the game out completely, so I am on the desktop.

I start up KF, and it goes into a windowed-mode, and I cannot do anything but click the "X" to close the game out to the top right. I close the game out, and I am on the desktop.

I restart the game once again, and it throws the error "steam must be running and you must have an active internet connection to access this".

I have repeated this issue several times using the steps above. I am on a fully patched win 8.1 machine.

The log file;

Log: Log file open, 12/01/14 22:50:45
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2 (Build: 9200)
Init: Version: 3339 (128.29)
Init: RO_VERSION: 1093
Init: KF_VERSION: 1063
Init: Compiled: Oct 31 2014 10:12:11
Init: Command line:
Init: Character set: Unicode
Init: Base directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\KillingFloor\System\
Init: Ini:KillingFloor.ini UserIni:User.ini
Init: Build label: Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Localization: No localization: KillingFloor.General.Start (int)
Log: STEAMAUTH : SteamAPI_Init failed
Log: nvd3dum.dll/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Log: nvd3dum.dll/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Log: Game class is 'KFCinematicGame'
Log: Bringing Level Entry.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 1.705000...
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Log: Browse: KFIntro.rom?Name=KFPlayer?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Corporal_Lewis?team=1?Sex=M
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Garbage: objects: 27588->27588; refs: 283115
Log: Game class is 'KFCinematicGame'
Log: Bringing Level KFIntro.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 2.211000...
Log: (Karma): Autodetecting CPU for SSE
Log: (Karma): Using SSE Optimizations
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Log: ALAudio: Using ALC_EXT_capture to record audio.
Warning: Failed to load 'NULL': Can't resolve package name
Warning: Failed to load 'Class None.': Can't resolve package name
Warning: Failed to load 'NULL': Can't resolve package name
Warning: Failed to load 'Class None.': Can't resolve package name
Log: STEAMSTATS: Steam not Ready
ScriptLog: New Player KFPlayer id=20b3###############
Localization: No localization: KillingFloor.General.Product (int)
Log: Opened viewport
Log: Enter SetRes: 1920x1080 Fullscreen 1
Log: Using back-buffer format 22(32-bit)
Log: Using depth-buffer format 77(32-bit)
Log: Creating device
Log: xD3D9Helper::Init (QuadEmulation)
Log: POSTFX - TripPostFX::Init successful
Log: MultiSampling trying to use "0" samples-per-pixel, using "0" samples-per-pixel.
Log: Quality Levels, attempting to use "0", using a quality level of "0".
Log: Trying for 1 anisotropy, max is 16. Using 1.
Log: Enter SetRes: 1920x1080 Fullscreen 0
Log: Using back-buffer format 22(32-bit)
Log: Using depth-buffer format 77(32-bit)
Log: Creating device
Log: xD3D9Helper::Init (QuadEmulation)
Log: POSTFX - TripPostFX::Init successful
Log: MultiSampling trying to use "0" samples-per-pixel, using "0" samples-per-pixel.
Log: Quality Levels, attempting to use "0", using a quali

Hummm not sure why the log cut off, unless posts have a maximum line limit. I am at a remote site right now, not at the workstation in question. If logs are needed, I will attach, or point to an alternate url for downloading later this evening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0