• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suggested Changes to the Artillery system

As we all know, if you call mortars or artillery, it fires a number of strikes (or barrages, or whatever you want to call them), then there's a cooldown timer until you are able to call fire support again.

WHAT IF, instead of doing it that way, the commander could call mortars or arty, and then choose how many strikes he wants. That way you could have just one quick strike to clear out a pesky MG nest or sniper, and you're not wasting barrages by having arty continuing to fall when there is no longer any enemy in the area. Or you could still choose a long barrage for more of an area denial purpose.

So for example, you'd start with however many strikes occur in a regular barrage (I think it's 5). When you call arty, you select the arty mark, then choose the number of strikes (from 1 - 5), then call it. Only once you've called all 5 strikes does the cooldown timer then come into play.

As we all know, if you call mortars or artillery, it fires a number of strikes (or barrages, or whatever you want to call them), then there's a cooldown timer until you are able to call fire support again.

WHAT IF, instead of doing it that way, the commander could call mortars or arty, and then choose how many strikes he wants. That way you could have just one quick strike to clear out a pesky MG nest or sniper, and you're not wasting barrages by having arty continuing to fall when there is no longer any enemy in the area. Or you could still choose a long barrage for more of an area denial purpose.

So for example, you'd start with however many strikes occur in a regular barrage (I think it's 5). When you call arty, you select the arty mark, then choose the number of strikes (from 1 - 5), then call it. Only once you've called all 5 strikes does the cooldown timer then come into play.

Rabid Penguin, Interresting point.

My two questions are :
-And we can ask recon airplane, and decide how many time we will use it ?

-Or then can we do multiple strike ?

exemple of i mean : with standard arty fire we have 5 strikes.

So TL use :
1 here in objective A
1 here in objective B
2 in objective C

He keeps the last one (arty strike n 5), and it give him a ammo supply more quickly effective. (time of doing strike is convert in time of ammo supply). More he keeps number of strike in reserver, more arty guns are quickly loaded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that's getting a bit too complicated.

Being able to call down simultaneous strikes on different marks would be highly useful, but it might make arty a bit too powerful. It would more be the case that you could call 1 strike on A, THEN one strike on B - in succession, though, not simultaneously, because it's still the same number of guns firing, you just select how many times they fire. Make sense?

Upvote 0
I think that's getting a bit too complicated.

Being able to call down simultaneous strikes on different marks would be highly useful, but it might make arty a bit too powerful. It would more be the case that you could call 1 strike on A, THEN one strike on B - in succession, though, not simultaneously, because it's still the same number of guns firing, you just select how many times they fire. Make sense?

No. I mean TL just use arty fire in different way in ONE call of arty :

He divides his own five strike arty (the one 5 five arty strike is not regrouped in same place of shooting) in ONE call of arty.

But now TL can strike 5 place maximun in ONE call of arty. Or 2 place with 2 and 3 arty strike in ONE call of arty.
or 2 place with 1 strike and 4 strike in ONE call of arty.

And he can keep arty strike in reserve to have more quickly ammo supply for his arty guns. (1 arty strike in reserve make more quick the loading of guns, but more arty strike he keeps in reserve more the guns are quick loaded.)

By this way TL can give position for each arty strike...An arty strike will become...an Hell of arty strike.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand what you meant, I just don't agree. As it is now, when you call in arty or mortars, there are about 5 or 6 guns/mortars that fire about 5 times each. So you get 5 waves of 5 or 6 shells striking at once. My suggested change is to change the number of times the guns/mortars fire. You couldn't have simultaenous strikes happening in different locations, beause the guns/mortars cannot fire at more than one location at once. Besides, having arty coming down all over the map would just be too powerful and negatively affect gameplay. And the suggestion that keeping a strike in reserve helps the guns "load quicker" is, quite frankly, ridiculous. In the real world, do you really think that how fast the gunners can load is determined by how much ammo they have left? No way.

Upvote 0
You couldn't have simultaenous strikes happening in different locations, beause the guns/mortars cannot fire at more than one location at once.
ok, Rabbid.

And the suggestion that keeping a strike in reserve helps the guns "load quicker" is, quite frankly, ridiculous. In the real world, do you really think that how fast the gunners can load is determined by how much ammo they have left? No way.

I don't think so. i don't think gunners "load quicker"...
but it's symbolize the fact gunner are already loading again the guns.

Upvote 0
I think this may be a little too complicated for current game mechanics to allow. However, I would like to arty and mortars do a walking barrage rather than just landing in 1 spot. Start at point A and arty walks to point C or D for example.

same idea here :

TL divides his own five strike arty (the one 5 five arty strike is not regrouped in same place of shooting) in ONE call of arty.

But now TL can strike 5 place maximun in ONE call of arty. Or 2 place with 2 and 3 arty strike in ONE call of arty.
or 2 place with 1 strike and 4 strike in ONE call of arty.

And he can keep arty strike in reserve to have more quickly ammo supply for his arty guns. (1 arty strike in reserve make more quick the loading of guns, but more arty strike he keeps in reserve more the guns are quick loaded.)

Upvote 0
OP's idea is interesting, but IMO it would only truly work if you have a fixed set of arty rounds in a game round, instead of unlimited and a cooldown.

Yeah, that would be awesome.

It would definitely make the Commander role a lot more interesting too, because they actually have to think about how many arty rounds they're wasting.

You could put this in the campaign too. Your respective team over the entire campaign has a fixed amount of arty rounds. If you're too liberal with your arty and mortar rounds early on, you might find yourself in tough position.

Imagine if this system was put in place with small munitions as well... It will definitely do justice to maps like Univermag and Red October factory where the 6th Army were on their last leg.

Last edited:
Upvote 0