Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Off Topic > History

History Historical And Arms Technology Related Discussions

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.  
Old 09-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerlied View Post
Give it a rest dude. Yeah some minor side note interesting history, but seriously, move on.
I posted that for anybody that actually cares to listen to a professional internet warrior. Hopefully other people will appreciate the information.

Last edited by THunter; 09-03-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:35 PM

Default 1915 SMLE and Romanian AK-47

The SMLE is a fun rifle to shoot and is damn accurate.

The AK is also fun to shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMLE.jpg (84.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SMLE2.jpg (96.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SMLE3.jpg (43.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg AK.jpg (72.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg AK2.jpg (26.0 KB, 16 views)

Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM

Default Walther P-1

Post war Walther was the 7th made in 1977.

The magazine was produced in 1956, Nato designation code 1005-12-120-0892 as visible (partially) in pic 4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walther P-1.jpg (74.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Walther P-1 (2).jpg (44.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Walther P-1 (3).jpg (60.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Walther P-1 (4).jpg (40.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Walther P-1 (5).jpg (29.1 KB, 6 views)

Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Walther pics part 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walther P-1 (6).jpg (42.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Walther P-1 (7).jpg (68.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Walther P-1 (8).jpg (96.7 KB, 5 views)

Old 09-03-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
The way I see this rifle, everything matches
No, they don't match. Etched-in serial numbers by Russian's doesn't make it matched. Don't go around saying stuff like, "The way I see it, it's matched." No. Just no. It's not all matching. At all.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THunter View Post
I posted that for anybody that actually cares to listen to a professional internet warrior. Hopefully other people will appreciate the information.
I do. Thanks.

I fell for a "matching serial numbers", blah, blah advertisement scam from a "respected" importer a few years back. Yeah, the numbers matched but were written in with an electric engraving tool...... One couldn't help but, lol. I always wondered how many were too embarassed to go to the trouble of getting their money back.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I do. Thanks.

I fell for a "matching serial numbers", blah, blah advertisement scam from a "respected" importer a few years back. Yeah, the numbers matched but were written in with an electric engraving tool...... One couldn't help but, lol. I always wondered how many were too embarassed to go to the trouble of getting their money back.
Your welcome Flyod,

Im sorry to hear that. Was the company that screwed you Mitchell's Mausers? If it was, what Mitchell's Mausers does is borderline Fraud. They advertise and mislead customers with their fancy ads, wording and "free accessories". They even go as far as to adding an extra line to the the Russian "X" marking to cover the true orgins of the rifle just incase somebody tried to sue them in court. In court they would say "Thats not a Russian capture marking, thats the marking we apply to designate the firearm from coming from us." They grind down the existing serial numbers on the parts, restamp the serial numbers, reblue the action, polish the bolts and sand the stocks. The condition the rifles came in straight from Russia were in more original condition and worth more in parts than after mitchells mausers did their "magic". If you like something pretty and nice to look at, rifles with fake stamps and shiney metal, crap like michells is right up your alley.

In the K98 section on gunboards.com we have people that go in there all the time posting about how proud and nice and pretty their new rifle is. But when we tell them what they have is a fake and really isnt worth nearly what they paid for it, they go into denial and flip out. Happens all the time there, thats why i wasnt surprised to see somebody go into denial here. Theres a few bad apples, but every once in awhile we get people that actually apreciate being told what they have, getting educated and appreciate the fact somebody is looking out for them. We always start off by telling them politely what they have isnt the real deal just so their feelings dont get hurt. But once they start giving us that "Youre wrong and you dont know what youre talking about" attitude then its game on.

If anybody has truely spent any amount of time collecting K98s youd know how dangerous it can be getting into collecting them without getting screwed. There are some really bad fakes out there that are pretty obvious, but there are fakes out there that even the best collectors have to scratch their head at. In the word of K98s, people that knowingly sell fake rifles are highly looked down upon (put lightly) and collectors make it a point to expose them, and tarnish their reputation for taking advantage of people's hard earned money.

I highly sugguest anybody thats looking to purchase a K98 or have any doubts about the authenticity of a K98 they already own to post in the K98 section of Gunboards.com. Those guys will tell you exactly what you have or what you might buy. We dont beat around the bush or sugarcoat stuff. Sometimes the truth hurts.

I wonder if Panzerlied thinks these are "overstampings" too:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Ducky; 09-04-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Added spoilers
Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM

Those are just fake period, I've seen the manufacturer marks for the K98, and those "runes" that people somehow see on the rifle I have, are overstamps.

I don't see the point in you continuing this I. Kant, just move on. Sure other people appreciate your input, and that's dandy, but there was no need to call me out on another post. I have what could be considered a "fake" rifle, and I honestly don't care, the other weapons I have however, are not fake.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Those are just fake period, I've seen the manufacturer marks for the K98, and those "runes" that people somehow see on the rifle I have, are overstamps.

I don't see the point in you continuing this I. Kant, just move on. Sure other people appreciate your input, and that's dandy, but there was no need to call me out on another post. I have what could be considered a "fake" rifle, and I honestly don't care, the other weapons I have however, are not fake.
Youre fueling your own fire man. Nobodys forcing you to reply. If you dont care. Dont reply. Its pretty simple.

Last edited by THunter; 09-03-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:34 PM

I respond when I'm mentioned, you mentioned me and I responded.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 PM

"Mitchells Mausers". i threw up in my mouth a little.

Support your custom mappers! Only play servers willing to run custom maps!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Hi guys

Does anyone know a manufacturer or site who sells reproduction equipment? I want for my M1917 Enfield a repro ammo bandoleer and a sling.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:49 PM

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/re-enactor
http://www.atthefront.com/
http://www.ima-usa.com/
Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reise View Post
Quit attacking the guy because his K98 has an extra rune on it.

You've got better things to waste your time getting angry about, I'm sure.
He's not attacking him, he's trying to do him a favour.

Anyway, to get this thread on track again, my great grandfather's BSA Sportsman Fifteen:

Beautifully made little rifle, and very accurate. Serial places it in 1954/1955 production.

Current name ingame - killallmkb42s.exe
Old 09-09-2012, 12:07 AM

that's a neat little .22, ross. i like the parker-hale peep sight.

Support your custom mappers! Only play servers willing to run custom maps!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
He's not attacking him, he's trying to do him a favour.
The only favour he did was offer 20/20 hindsight and try to make him feel bad about his purchase. It would've been helpful if he hadn't already bought the rifle or if he actually bought it after being advertised as a super rare "SS" K98, which he already said he didn't do. THunter just got flustered because somebody had a rifle with two SS runes and claimed it was all matching, then went all armchair historian on us all.

Pic is the collection my buddies and I brought shooting about a year ago. P38, Glock 32, Two MNs (one early model with hex reciever and one with round), Yugo underfolder AK, Wasr 10/63, and Nodak Spud AK74.

Last edited by Reise; 09-09-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
The only favour he did was offer 20/20 hindsight and try to make him feel bad about his purchase. It would've been helpful if he hadn't already bought the rifle or if he actually bought it after being advertised as a super rare "SS" K98, which he already said he didn't do. THunter just got flustered because somebody had a rifle with two SS runes and claimed it was all matching, then went all armchair historian on us all.

Pic is the collection my buddies and I brought shooting about a year ago. P38, Glock 32, Two MNs (one early model with hex reciever and one with round), Yugo underfolder AK, Wasr 10/63, and Nodak Spud AK74.

That's a nice collection of AK's and Mosins. Out of curiosity, the WASR you have, have you tried replacing the buttstock? I've got one and wanted to put a folding stock on, but from what I've read they're lacquered into the rifle which makes them almost impossible to remove.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Yeah I've had different stocks on it. The ones that come with them aren't finished, they're basically raw laminated wood.

They come apart like any other AK stock, just take the screws out and it's free.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah I've had different stocks on it. The ones that come with them aren't finished, they're basically raw laminated wood.

They come apart like any other AK stock, just take the screws out and it's free.
Hmm, well I've taken the screws out of mine, but the stock couldn't come out. I might have to hammer it out, which I don't really want to do, but I would like a folding stock on it so sacrifices I guess

Also, I've got a Walther, though it's a P-1. There're some pics of it and my Luger a few posts back before they were drowned out.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Yeah they're pretty snug, mine took a couple taps and some wiggling to get it at first. It's easier to get a flat head screwdriver and lever the thing out where the rear trunion is.

It's more that they're not cut thin enough or swelled into place rather than that they were laquered or soaked with oils/grease. Just takes a little bit of effort.