• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What can i expect from the community?

PrinceOfCola

May 31, 2013
Hi. In a few days i will be getting the gold edition of this game. I ordered it on impulse and i don't regret it, but after reading on the forums i am a little scared. What am i talking about? Well, i have yet to even play the game, but i'm going to do a little judging anyway:D I am afraid the community here is a little rough against beginners, something that basically was hell for me in L4D2.

In L4D2 i was banned for simply being new.....BANNED. For being a newcomer....:( Before the matches began i always said "I'm new, but i will try my best" etc...yet i was banned almost every time. And note it was always on normal...i would never play on a higher difficulty.

So what do i want with this thread? Well...i want you guys to be honest with me...are newcomers annoying? Is it ok that i ask what this gun does and what that knife does and why is that zombie running towards me?

Will i be accepted?? I must know.

I hate when people new to KF always bring up L4D, srsly.

Newcomers are in fact annoying and a waste of space. BUT depends on the player, if you want to learn and corporate with the team, you will live. I suggest playing solo first so you can get the hang of things. Look up how to or watch a video.

Besides, we all start of new dont we? Be it life or a game.

Upvote 0
Pay attention to the filters in the server browser and start on a difficulty like normal. If you are completely new to first person shooters, I recommend beginner just to get a hang of the WSAD controls and how the mouse guides movement and aiming. Pay attention to your perks and the weapons that are most appropriate for them. I recommend beginning with sharpshooter and using the sharpshooter weapons which will include pistols, rifles, and the crossbow. This is because it is a very easy perk to level up for beginners.

There's no need to announce your noobiness. Your level 0 and playing will probably announce it for you :p and as long as you aren't in suicidal or hell on earth difficulties on your first day you won't have tryhards complaining about you being there or initiating kick votes.

Just go have fun. You'll learn as you play.

Upvote 0
hi there

hi there

well as a newcomer i would recommend playing on normal or beginner servers since it's easier and the chances of getting kicked are lower but as for the higher level servers such as hard to hell on earth if you go in as lvl 0-2 the chances of being kicked will be higher. But no I don't think new comers are annoying as long as they are respectful and willing to learn. But yea no need to introduce yourself as a newbie as one poster earlier has said above they can just tell by your rank

Upvote 0
Don't play on anything above normal. Stick to your perk weapons. Don't go for M4 as Sharpshooter or for LAR if you are Support. That's it. The rest is just following the simple rules - follow the high level players (if they are not zerk lol), don't try to be "the boss" and you should do fine.

Btw in the current state of KF the high level does NOT always mean that the player is good. Every 0lvl noob can farm the leveling maps and get all his perks to lvl 6 pretty fast and easy. So keep your eye out for such players.

Upvote 0
In L4D2 i was banned for simply being new.....BANNED. For being a newcomer....:( Before the matches began i always said "I'm new, but i will try my best" etc...yet i was banned almost every time. And note it was always on normal...i would never play on a higher difficulty.

So what do i want with this thread? Well...i want you guys to be honest with me...are newcomers annoying? Is it ok that i ask what this gun does and what that knife does and why is that zombie running towards me?

Will i be accepted?? I must know.

Actually, that whiny attitude is annoying.

Upvote 0
Just make sure you use the server filter and join Normal difficulty servers first. This is where most newcommers play and you will have no problem to be accepted. Try to improve your gameplay and if you are interested there are many guides and videos out there that will be helpfull.

Enjoy the game. :)

Upvote 0
I'm playing kf for about six months now and know how you feel... I'm not that bad in playing FPS but in the first days I got raped even on normal difficulty, as soon as I reached wave 3. I even got kicked / banned a few times in the beginning, for playing like a one man army and outing myself as a noob. I then watched a few "Lets play" videos on youtube and started playing only with two good buddys (by that time they were kf noobs as well :D ) to get more used to the game and the mechanics. A few weeks later I played on some public servers on difficulty "Hard", just because I felt that the extra challenge would get me a bit better. I met some very skilled and helpful players there that taught so much about how I can deal with the "big guys", which loadouts to use, how to be a good kf teamplayer etc.

If you do not have buddys that own the game (it's on sale right now ;) ) and you can do some practice sessions with... Play a few rounds solo to get used to the controls and how the different weapons handle. Also I suggest that you download a testmap were you can spawn all the Zeds (that's how the "zombies" are called in kf...) one by one and try out how to kill them. Als always, youtube is a great source and the kf wiki is worth a look as well :)

To cut a long story short: Out of my experience I feel, that the community is awesome. So much skilled and helpful players and as long as you are willing to learn, I think you will have an awesome time with all the crazy people out there :D

Upvote 0
Just make sure you use the server filter and join Normal difficulty servers first. This is where most newcommers play and you will have no problem to be accepted. Try to improve your gameplay and if you are interested there are many guides and videos out there that will be helpfull.

Enjoy the game. :)

Absolutely, unequivocally, undoubtedly... Q.F.T. Welcome to the party pal. :)

Upvote 0
In L4D2 i was banned for simply being new.....BANNED.

Honestly, I found it pretty hard to play L4D2 in general. Seemed everyone wanted to play in groups, and I was in the way of their fourth player.

Just don't act like a noob, play as part of the team and don't constantly beg for money. You'll be fine. I would also recommend playing on normal servers until you get a few perks to a decent level. BUT, pay attention to server titles... some servers have a mutator which specifically kicks players with low perk levels.

Upvote 0
Play normal difficulty, aim for the head when you use your pistol, heal your teamates and stay with them, don't spam "I need some money" all the time, don't steal weapons and cash if people didn't intentionally drop them to you. That's all you need to do to be an exemplary beginner. If people still complain after that, it's because they are complainers anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's because Killing Floor is co-operative; L4D is competitive where everyone just happens to be on the same team.

That makes no sense. If anything it's the other way around, with players in KF trying to get as many kills as possible, and not a lot of team work needed as long as you keep killing.

Newcomers are in fact annoying and a waste of space.

Unfortunately a lot of people seem to forget that they were new once.

Upvote 0
Read these guides and you will be set to start.

[Guide] Beginner Player Guide

Tips & Tactics + Perk info

*IMPORTANT* - Do stay on Beginner or Normal until you've gotten used to the game and you have leveled up 1-2 levels. I guarantee that KF veterans WILL rage at level 0 newbies who join Suicidal or Hell on Earth difficulties. Then slowly progress to the next difficulty level. It's important that you do since the Specimens will have different AI behavior and HP & Damage Modifiers scaled accordingly to the difficulty level.

Difficulty Level Scale (From Easy to Hardest)
1. Normal -> 2. Hard -> 3. Suicidal -> 4. Hell on Earth

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In general: KF is (at first) a very challenging fps. Even if you are an experienced fps player, beginner and normal are the difficulties to go. (when i started i joined hard and was killed in the first or second wave)
Beginner is nice, zeds are slower, weaker, less damage and trader time is longer (which is nice if you want to really look at the weapons)

Aim for the heads!!!, bodyshots are compareably useless.

Stick to weapons that go with your perk (some offperk weapons are fine, but youll find out yourself later). I would recommend starting the wave as a sharpshooter (you get a bonus on your starting gun) then change after the first wave to another class (since sharpshooter levels very fast with the 9mm, you don't really need to actively level it). I recommend support, commando (and firebug) for beginners.

Asking other players how to kill zeds or how they behave is good! It shows that you want to do it right (look up the wiki or guides). Don't attack scrakes and fleshpounds on your own if you cannot kill them on your own.

If you run out of ammo, tell your team and don't do anything suicidal. Stay back and heal your teammates (and keep an eye out for ammo boxes)

Upvote 0
Welcome to this glorious community and game!! Listen to everything everyone has said above me, they all seem to know what they're talking about. :p

Idk if it was mentioned but don't shoot at Fleshpounds or Scrakes if a higher level player is fighting them (unless they're about to die...), it will make it easier on them to kill it.

Upvote 0