• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Type 38 vs Type 99

Which do you prefer? I had yet to find a favourite, although I find that the Type 99's sights are easier to see, especially on the night map (Guadacanal?). I like the 38 for the fact that the sights are more open, but like I said, I find it hard to use them on some maps. The 99 hits harder (from what I've heard), but the 38 is supposedly more accurate. They're both nice rifles, but I still haven't adjusted from having no hood to judge how far ahead of a moving target I should aim (I always use the sight hood on the 98k and the M91/30).
So, which rifle do you prefer and why?

I use the 99. I chose the 99 largely due to its increased power, as I found that the 38 has a tendency to '2 shot' enemies while the 99 only needs to 1 shot them. It can be a decisive difference.

As far as accuracy goes, my 99 is at level 33 and the accuracy is high enough for general use and pretty much indistinguishable.

Upvote 0
go the type 99 to level 50 and even use it when playing american rifleman. Just started to use the 38 alot more due to learning the art of useing the mortar :D

As of now...the 38 has a much quicker rebolt cycle wich i like. I dont mind the sights on booth. I try to go for the head more with the 38, i feel.

All in all they suit my trained ro1 rifleman habbits rather well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My favourite Japanese class is the light mortar, so it's a Type 38 for me, but I'll sometimes select a Type 99 when SL (this is also the first game I've played where using a bolt action can be quite enjoyable instead of being a total pain)

The Type 99 was meant to be an improved design, but due to scarce resources during the war, a lot of the later Type 99's were made of inferior components causing all sorts of problems to the user. Thankfully, we don't have exploding rifles in the game :D

Quite funny, ended up in a duel with a Springfield 1903 (probably 20-30 feet apart, just too far to risk charging him) - both our first shots missed or lightly clipped - the bolt action on my Type 38 outperformed it nicely, but I was probably also levelled higher than his Springfield.

Upvote 0
Type 99 = 115
Type 38 = 105

So limb hits will be a little bit less effective for the Type 38, and at range, the bullet may lose enough power to be just short of lethal in some very exceptional cases.
Do different weapons have a higher predisposition to their stopping power dropping at long ranges? Or does every weapon have their power drop relatively at the same range intervals ie every 50m they all drop X damage.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I thought the differential was higher, though as I had 'tested' out both the 38 and 99 in-game (just to see which one I should use on a regular basis) and the 99 won.

The sights on the 99 help me track targets better than the 38's tiny, nearly submerged sights.

It's too bad that the mortar doesn't come with a 99.

Upvote 0
I thought that the T38 was used more and that the T99 never fully replaced it. Is that not the case?

It's not the case in the pacific, units sent to the pacific got mostly type 99's, the type 38's were mostly used by naval infantry and infantry sent to china.

Also does anyone knwo the exact difference in RPM between the type 38 and type 99 (level 50 or lvl 1 i dont mind)

Upvote 0