• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Support Mappers and Modders!!

General_Lechna

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2013
I love Ro2, but i hate to see that most of the servers dont support the awesome work of the mappers. Only a few servers run custom maps and the rest runs the overplayed stockmaps. In over 600 hours i havent played not one single minute on TE-Zhukovka or other fantastic maps. Most of the time i check the serverbrowser and i see only apartments, barracks etc. If serveradmins dont host any of those wonderful epic custom maps the player base will drop again under 1000 players.

This has been a problem from the start. The Steam Workshop did not help much as different versions of new maps screwed up the game and you needed to manually delete files which were for some not easy to find.

I love the custom maps and am happy that TWI included some in the latest patch but many good maps fail to become popular because people are too lazy and impatient to download them or they cause conflicts hence empty servers will follow.

So I would like to see TWI make more of the community maps available asap.

Upvote 0
I agree.

I have recently come back to RO2 after an extended (over a year) absence. Partly because of the new maps and also (of course) the general game improvements. And I have been so struck with how awesome the new maps are -- and big!!! -- that I spend my entire nights bouncing from one server to the other that happens to be running a custom map. Alas, many times it is near impossible to find one with players in it.

I have even toyed with starting a server running nothing but custom maps but am fearful that it will waste clan money because so many seem fixated with the stock maps. Don't get me wrong, some of the stock maps are still quite enjoyable, but new maps are a must to maintain long-term interest. I wish I had some sense that a 100% custom map server would thrive...

Upvote 0
Look around.

There are several stateside servers running custom maps only.

RGN and [50pc.] come to mind

=TaT= runs servers with custom maps within the mapcycle (maybe even a custom only)

Clowns33, irrc

That's just off the top of my head........

All of those have a redirect that is as fast as you'll find anywhere.

imo, its the player based that can't be arsed enough to wait a couple of minutes for the map to download. I've got a pitiful low-end DSL connection (6.0Mpbs max) and about the longest it takes me is about 4 minutes for some of the largest maps.

A simple and quick edit to one's rogame.ini file will prevent the cache from being purged. That way you only redownload the file from the redirect if the map changes..

Upvote 0
...imo, its the player based that can't be arsed enough to wait a couple of minutes for the map to download. I've got a pitiful low-end DSL connection (6.0Mpbs max) and about the longest it takes me is about 4 minutes for some of the largest maps.

I don't have to wait around. I aggressively pursue maps in these forums and self install. So it's a matter of finding servers that run only custom. I have seen the RGN one but I do believe I've seen Mike state that they also run stocks interspersed. And plus, his server is often full so it's hard for me (plus between 1-5/6 clan members) to get in always.

Upvote 0
I don't have to wait around. I aggressively pursue maps in these forums and self install. So it's a matter of finding servers that run only custom. I have seen the RGN one but I do believe I've seen Mike state that they also run stocks interspersed. And plus, his server is often full so it's hard for me (plus between 1-5/6 clan members) to get in always.
not true. the custom map server only runs mod maps. no stock maps at all and it's not always full. you just have bad timing. maybe your confused and talking about the rgn campaign server? it's full a lot and has stock maps.

Upvote 0
not true. the custom map server only runs mod maps. no stock maps at all and it's not always full. you just have bad timing. maybe your confused and talking about the rgn campaign server? it's full a lot and has stock maps.

Could be r5cya. I just know that I typically spend the night jumping from one server to another as it seems that on almost all votes in many servers the population votes for either Apartments or Spartanovka. I don't recall seeing the RGN all custom server. I'll have to look and make sure it's showing in my browser tonight. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Most of the servers mentioned in here are from the states, im an Euro player and cant wait till the servers are half populated.
I like the RNG Server and appreciate their work for the community, but most of the time its to late to jump on their server.
Most of the EU Servers run only stockmaps and nothing else.
Biggest gamebraker in this game are the overplayed stockmaps.

Upvote 0
Map voting sort of works for all maps. Admins need to set the vote threshold a little higher and it works. There is also a map voter weight that admins should reduce.

However the map repeat limit does not work. So the same map can get voted in over and over and over. Fix map repeat and the map voting becomes workable.

As for running more custom maps, I wish TWI would release a custom map pack with two or three custom maps each month.

I am still finding the player base mostly unwilling wait around for a 200 MB download, so for the Aussie / NZ sever I slowly add new custom maps, maybe one a month. Also I only add customs that are at a development stage when they won't be updated ever week, otherwise players that use SteamWorks get screwed over if I dont keep up the pace.

In the past I was updating the maps at the pace of mappers but was losing too many players to other servers just running stock maps.

At the moment of the 16 maps in the sever rotation, only four require download.

I suggest people keep getting on TWI's back askign them to continue with what they are doing with the map comp winners by delivering their maps through the RO2 update. This is definitely one of the best things TWI have done this year and I cant it as anything but a win win win situation for TWI, mappers and players.

Upvote 0
Map voting sort of works for all maps. Admins need to set the vote threshold a little higher and it works. There is also a map voter weight that admins should reduce.

However the map repeat limit does not work. So the same map can get voted in over and over and over. Fix map repeat and the map voting becomes workable.

As for running more custom maps, I wish TWI would release a custom map pack with two or three custom maps each month.

I am still finding the player base mostly unwilling wait around for a 200 MB download, so for the Aussie / NZ sever I slowly add new custom maps, maybe one a month. Also I only add customs that are at a development stage when they won't be updated ever week, otherwise players that use SteamWorks get screwed over if I dont keep up the pace.

In the past I was updating the maps at the pace of mappers but was losing too many players to other servers just running stock maps.

I suggest people keep getting on TWI's back askign them to continue with what they are doing with the map comp winners by delivering their maps through the RO2 update. This is definitely one of the best things TWI have done this year and I cant it as anything but a win win win situation for TWI, mappers and players.

Hey Cat, I've noticed recently the Aus/NZ server has been running almost no custom maps, is there any reason for this? In my opinion we should be running as many as we can, some of them I haven't even been able to try out due to them not being run.

Upvote 0

For me it wasn't the wait that was the issue, it was the size of the download. RO2's maps, in comparison with Killing Floor's, are huge. I only had 8 gigs a month in downloads, and I wasn't too keen to use over a gig on maps to play on your server. I've upped my downloads now, so I don't really have that issue anymore, but the size of the download could be a big turnoff for a lot of other people :/
Love the server btw Cat :D

Upvote 0