• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Melee suggestion

bier

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Considering the widespread use of spades in WW2 close combat, i would suggest the adding of the spade as a melee weapon. Of course adding in the advantages of a spade would be out of the scope of the game. So it would be nice if a class which has an pistol avaiable would be abled to take a spade into his right hand and the pistol into his left, which of course would make the pistol harder to use. I think it would be a nice option to play with, while still beeing possible IRL.

Opinions?

I'd be for this as I'd love to see Spade Only maps... :D

On the other hand, we still don't have an option to simply fix/unfix a bayonet, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

still spades only would be a hilarious mode.

The binoculars are still a hilarious melee weapon to use. it has insult to injury. it just needs a custom kill icon for the binoculars. There is nothing more satisfying then sneaking up behind some jerries, then brutally murdering them with your binoculars

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd be for this as I'd love to see Spade Only maps... :D

On the other hand, we still don't have an option to simply fix/unfix a bayonet, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Of course the lack of this option is simply stupid. As well a thing which should be added as soon as possible.

There should also be shovels,broken bottles,and many kinds of knives.

To be honest this is an bad attempt to be funny. Spades were in wide use during WW2, just as bayonets were. But maybe we can remove the bayonet, too. There are enough of texts from WW2 that the bayonet is obsolete and melee combat should be done with direct shot or hand grenades.

Upvote 0
I still don't get why people are so fascinated by this idea. It seems everybody wants it just because it was in RO1, but it was pointless (From a mechanics standpoint) there, too.
The main problem with the bayonet is that it sticks out so far, it's highly likely to give away your position when you're firing from a window or taking cover in open areas behind small objects like carts, crates, and automobiles. On the flip side, in many instances it makes sense to have it ready on the off chance you get into CQB. The pros and cons are so well matched and so situational, that you are likely to really want it on one moment and really want it off the next.

Given that it's the one FPS weapon attachment (unlike CS's quick-screw suppressors) specifically designed and intended to be quickly attached and removed mid-combat, it's very frustrating to be stuck with a "one size fits all" implementation where we have to commit to one option or the other for the entire battle. It really sucks to swallow a grenade or get shot through cover knowing that if you could have detached your bayonet, you would have gone unseen, and it really sucks losing a CQB scuffle cause you weren't "allowed" to bring your bayonet that time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main problem with the bayonet is that it sticks out so far, it's highly likely to give away your position when you're firing from a window or taking cover in open areas behind small objects like carts, crates, and automobiles. On the flip side, in many instances it makes sense to have it ready on the off chance you get into CQB. The pros and cons are so well matched and so situational, that you are likely to really want it on one moment and really want it off the next.

You're really exaggerating the downside. I have rarely seen cases where someone is visible only because of their bayonet. Rarely, as in probably single-digits over the entire time I've played.

Upvote 0
You're really exaggerating the downside. I have rarely seen cases where someone is visible only because of their bayonet. Rarely, as in probably single-digits over the entire time I've played.
Actually, before they gave the option to remove upgrades, The sniper would get a bayonet, and let me tell you.... that was something you hated. Please tell me you can at least see the downside of the sniper with a bayonet.

The other issue is "realism". That is to say that the gun was balanced without the bayonet. Then if you put it on, it was front-heavy and a little harder to hold still. Now, this "realism" wasn't put into Ro2, but most of us REALLY liked the idea. This was because Defenders, who were shooting, did NOT have bayonets attached so they had better aim. Attackers, who were charging in, planned for close combat and had the advantage of preparing their bayonet. Now, a defender could worry, and put a bayonet on, but then they sacrificed their aim on killing soldiers before they reached close combat.

On a side note, an unlockable separate melee weapon would be awesome for the sniper, to replace the bayonet unlock... but it would be weird to see some classes with bayonets and another melee weapon... I mean, really, how often do you need a melee weapon on a class that doesn't already have a bayonet... and if you need to melee on a SMG, you're doing it wrong or you don't have enough time to switch.

Upvote 0
Actually, before they gave the option to remove upgrades, The sniper would get a bayonet, and let me tell you.... that was something you hated. Please tell me you can at least see the downside of the sniper with a bayonet.

I can see the concept. At 100 meters, though, I doubt I could see the bayonet, which is a bit more important. It's not that the bayonet can't give away your position, it's that the difference it makes is so small that it hardly makes a difference. Plenty of people have complained that it gave them away and resulted in them being killed, but that's confirmation bias of the worst sort (They don't know how the enemy actually saw them, so they assume it was because of their bayonet).

My comment you quoted about how rarely I've seen people because of their bayonet is including those snipers you mention. It's not generally been an issue. In fact, most of the times I've seen someone because of their bayonet, it's because they're less than 50 meters away (And a large number of them under 10!), and at just that perfect distance where their bayonet pokes out the window but their barrel doesn't. And just as a preemptive note, this is still far, far less than the people who actually had the muzzle stuck out the window.

The other issue is "realism". That is to say that the gun was balanced without the bayonet. Then if you put it on, it was front-heavy and a little harder to hold still. Now, this "realism" wasn't put into Ro2, but most of us REALLY liked the idea. This was because Defenders, who were shooting, did NOT have bayonets attached so they had better aim. Attackers, who were charging in, planned for close combat and had the advantage of preparing their bayonet. Now, a defender could worry, and put a bayonet on, but then they sacrificed their aim on killing soldiers before they reached close combat.

The Mosin Nagant was actually zeroed with the bayonet attached, as the soldiers were expected to always fight with it attached. Detaching the bayonet would actually decrease accuracy, giving even less reason to do so.

Not that any of that is in the game.

Although I will agree with you on one thing; having a separate melee weapon doesn't make much sense. You can't get more powerful than a bayonet, and it doesn't take much to make the butt-strikes do max damage, so I'm not really seeing any use for it...

Upvote 0
I agree with adding a knife, as in sneeking up on unwitting ruskies in stealth mode (crouched walk).

But a trench shovel? Yea, they were used when pressed, just not as a weapon of choice I would imagine. Still would be fun with the appropriate sound FX :D

What needs fixing is bots melee attacking prone humans, they can't hit them! Now give em a shovel, there's six feet of russia!

Upvote 0
I would like to see a CQC overhaul. Long weapons like rifles would be quite impractical without a bayonet at least since they're not easy to maneuver in tight spots. Also some kind of hand-to-hand minigame with 3 button presses or something, whoever presses them faster wins? Shouldn't take too long with 1-3 random buttons.

Upvote 0
I would like to see a CQC overhaul. Long weapons like rifles would be quite impractical without a bayonet at least since they're not easy to maneuver in tight spots. Also some kind of hand-to-hand minigame with 3 button presses or something, whoever presses them faster wins? Shouldn't take too long with 1-3 random buttons.

That's actually a good idea... I hate the current CQC combat system (though i win 90% when it gets to it). Your idea of really fast 'mini-game' has something to it...

Upvote 0