• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Game Type Suggestion

I propose a new game type: a mixture of aspects of Territory and Countdown. I haven't thought of a name for it yet.

Key features:
- Single life per objective as in CD
- Maps flow continuously as in TE (no CD-style stop/start between objectives)
- Linear play style: only one objective active at any one time; all others locked.
- Attack/Defend only: all maps start with one team holding all objectives (the defenders) and one team attacking. No neutral objectives (maps like FallenFighters or Barracks can be modified to be Attack/Defend).
- Tanks still incorporated - NOT infantry only like CD.

Playing:
You play as you would a normal Territory Match, however dead players (on both teams) are only respawned when an objective is captured.

If the entire attacking team is wiped out without before the current objective is captured, they get ONE respawn wave to try again. If the attacking team is wiped out without capping a second time, OR if an objective is not captured within 5 minutes, the round restarts with the teams switched sides, as in CD.

No force respawns, and spawn on Squad Leader would be irrelevant. Recon available. Fire support works as normal.

What does everyone think? In theory, this would make people play more tactically as respawns are fewer and farther between, without the break in flow of CD, and still retaining more aspects of TE.

I always like the idea of single life per objective, and I like the idea of respawning after each objective, but I don't like a single objective at a time, it'll eliminate opportunities for varying strategies. It'll play out the same each round, with everyone facing each other in a grand shootout.

Like S&D, I'd rather have two or three objectives so the attackers can choose which one(s) to target, set up diversions and try to keep the defenders guessing. And the defenders then have to respond. Much more epic.

If a round played out with a series of attacks like that, it'd be great. You could either have it necessary for the attackers to make a cap to advance, or just run through the series of caps and tally up who won the most caps at the end.

Upvote 0
I always like the idea of single life per objective, and I like the idea of respawning after each objective, but I don't like a single objective at a time, it'll eliminate opportunities for varying strategies. It'll play out the same each round, with everyone facing each other in a grand shootout.

Like S&D, I'd rather have two or three objectives so the attackers can choose which one(s) to target, set up diversions and try to keep the defenders guessing. And the defenders then have to respond. Much more epic.

If a round played out with a series of attacks like that, it'd be great. You could either have it necessary for the attackers to make a cap to advance, or just run through the series of caps and tally up who won the most caps at the end.

My concern was that it would just be impossible for the attackers with multiple objectives - but it might possible be able to work.

Upvote 0
Just to be clear, I meant multiples in the same latitude as the singles. For example, on any given map, instead of everyone fighting over A, have two or three objectives spread across the map at about the same distance out from the opposing spawns as A. Either have caps like now, or the classic plant-the bomb/defuse-the-bomb scenario from S&D.

I'm a sucker for the ticking bomb.... *kaboom!* :p

Imagine Bridges like this? Whee!

Upvote 0
I propose a new game type: a mixture of aspects of Territory and Countdown. I haven't thought of a name for it yet.

Key features:
- Single life per objective as in CD
- Maps flow continuously as in TE (no CD-style stop/start between objectives)
- Linear play style: only one objective active at any one time; all others locked.
- Attack/Defend only: all maps start with one team holding all objectives (the defenders) and one team attacking. No neutral objectives (maps like FallenFighters or Barracks can be modified to be Attack/Defend).
- Tanks still incorporated - NOT infantry only like CD.

Playing:
You play as you would a normal Territory Match, however dead players (on both teams) are only respawned when an objective is captured.

If the entire attacking team is wiped out without before the current objective is captured, they get ONE respawn wave to try again. If the attacking team is wiped out without capping a second time, OR if an objective is not captured within 5 minutes, the round restarts with the teams switched sides, as in CD.

No force respawns, and spawn on Squad Leader would be irrelevant. Recon available. Fire support works as normal.

What does everyone think? In theory, this would make people play more tactically as respawns are fewer and farther between, without the break in flow of CD, and still retaining more aspects of TE.

This is almost exactly how I had WISHED that Countdown always WOULD have been!

Upvote 0