• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Far Cry 3

Seeing as there are no current threads on this game (surprisingly), I thought I would make one. This is one of those games that was never really on my radar, as I just assumed it would feature the same mistakes that made Far Cry 2 a generally "meh" experience. Recently, however, things have definitely changed.

Over the last few weeks I've been watching gameplay videos (not just super-scripted story trailers that have been pumped out over the last year) and have been impressed with what I've seen so far. It really looks like the developers are taking what made FC2 fun while totally revamping the stuff that made it boring and routine.

Also, it's getting some very good reviews from some of my most trusted reviewing sources. Gametrailers (not always a good choice, but I generally like their reviews) gave it an 8.6, but more significantly, both PC Gamer and Rock Paper Shotgun have said very good things about the game. I particularly love RPS, and pretty much trust everything they say, so this is big. Here are some links:

Footage:

PS3 Gameplay
Far Cry 3 gameplay & review recap - YouTube

Developer gameplay (probably shown on PC)
Far Cry 3 - 14 minutes Gameplay Walkthrough (HD 1080p) - YouTube

PC gameplay on max settings (SPOILERS):
Far Cry 3 - First 45 minutes (HD) - YouTube

GT Review:
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/dyxtjr/far-cry-3-review

PC Gamer review:
http://www.pcgamer.com/review/far-cry-3-review/

RPS review (best one of them all):
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/21/wot-i-think-far-cry-3-single-player/

There are some things I'm not crazy about, like the ability to see tagged enemies through objects, but I'm hoping that's a feature that can be toggled off. Also, there's no dedicated servers for MP, but honestly who plays a FC game for the multiplayer? The graphics look nice, but I also hope the game is well optimized for my SLI system.

There is a reasonably well done coop campaign in addition to the huge SP campaign. Also an easy to use map editor is included, like FC2, but this time you are able to populate them with enemy AI and animals for use in singleplayer which sounds awesome and is the biggest thing that FC2's editor lacked.

Last edited:
Far Cry 2 was (or at least COULD) have been a great game. I had this love-and-hate relationship to FC2. What really made me dislike the game was the extremely repetetive missions, gaurds posts, randomly spawning enemies, stupid AI, the incredibly stupid malaria, and a little poor shootouts.

More over, the game was great. I will buy and play this game as soon as my new computer is repaired.

To be honest I havent researched so much about FC3 but what bugs me off a little bit is the XP popping up on the screen... not the whole XP idea, but the fact that it pops up when you kill someone.

EDIT: I read in the PCgamer review that the game was far more open to stealth. Awesome. This is exactly what I liked about FC2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking a lot better than 2.

Had to force myself to finish that abomination. Hopefully there's some kind of co-op mode for multiplayer.
Yes there is a coop campaign. It's more linear than the SP campaign but it's better than nothing!

FC2 was indeed close to being a great game, but there were several HUGE things that prevented that:
1) The game world was pretty much 100% static and didn't change dynamically to the player's actions. All major changes were scripted. And those damn checkpoints! You'd clear it out and 5 minutes later everyone magically comes back... stupid.

2) All big "choices" in the game were only illusions -- you never really had any choice what faction you sided with in the end, as the game always made those decisions for you. The only story decisions you did get to make were boring and had little impact on later events.

3) There was supposedly a WAR going on between to factions, but the only person anyone shot at was you. You never saw the factions fighting amongst themselves EVER and the game always came up with the stupid excuse "oh yeah you're a lone wolf out there so even our guys can't recognize you, so just shoot every person you see" which really killed any sense of belief that you really were in the middle of a civil war, or fighting on someone's side.

Though I don't yet know what real story choices the player has in FC3, it's definitely true that the world is much more dynamic. NPCs from various factions will fight each other independent of your actions if they come across one another, checkpoints and such stay cleared of enemies, the world is much more open (not as many restricted canyons and such), weapon customization is ALOT more varied (you can buy attachments for weapons now), and animals are no longer just window dressing -- you hunt them to craft containers and other items (a bit silly but who cares) and they can kill you.

So, all in all, I'd say it's already a big improvement on FC2, and that shows in the reviews.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What killed Far Cry 2 for me was how every single crossroad had an outpost full of people that HATED me as if I had raped, flayed, killed and eaten the entire family of each one of them. They were always DESPERATE to kill me every time they saw me, chasing me with their magical jeeps that accelerate from full stop in a milisecond. It really, really annoyed me.

Upvote 0
What killed Far Cry 2 for me was how every single crossroad had an outpost full of people that HATED me as if I had raped, flayed, killed and eaten the entire family of each one of them. They were always DESPERATE to kill me every time they saw me, chasing me with their magical jeeps that accelerate from full stop in a milisecond. It really, really annoyed me.

This, pretty much this. Looking forward to the new one, dunno if ill pick it up soon, but we will see.

Upvote 0
I enjoyed Far Cry 2 a lot. Some issues with it as others pointed out, but it was one of the better games I've played. I don't like the theme change FC3 has taken but it looks like they have improved the gameplay.

If the map editor can be used to make offline missions then that would be very nice and add a lot of replayability.

Upvote 0
ive been going over the reviews and videos coming out so far, I already dropped a pre order on farcry 3 as it looks to be decently improved.

I do have to say though, i hope the setting a lot of these reviewers are playing it on is called 'retard easy'

Far Cry 3 gameplay & review recap - YouTube

~22 mins in the guys is talking about how he's such a stealth badass while standing 20 feet in front of an oblivious enemy who is looking right at him. I'm just crossing my fingers that stealth requires some brainwork and isn't the result of retarded ai.

Actually I should watch the cynical brit review again, he scrolled through most of the menu's before hand....

annndd damnit the one he didn't click is gameplay...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, TB mentions several times that for him by far the biggest flaw of the game is that it's too easy. You are supposed to be this "average guy" who gets into a bad situation, yet 5 minutes into the game you are firing heavy machine-guns as if you were Rambo.

He basically wanted the game to be a bit more "Stalkerish" and definitely recommended people to play it on the highest difficulty setting (he played on medium I think).

Upvote 0
The game actually looks fun, not perfect, but it looks like a good buy.

But.. this is an UBI published title, and i haven't touched anything they have released for years because of DRM and other crap they have used, so i gotta ask: What's going on with the buisness model?

Any horrendous DRM that needs to be considdered? Any stupid 3'rd party bloatware accounts you need to sign up for? How are they screwing us over this time, or have they actually wisened up a bit of late?

Upvote 0
Yeah, TB mentions several times that for him by far the biggest flaw of the game is that it's too easy. You are supposed to be this "average guy" who gets into a bad situation, yet 5 minutes into the game you are firing heavy machine-guns as if you were Rambo.

He basically wanted the game to be a bit more "Stalkerish" and definitely recommended people to play it on the highest difficulty setting (he played on medium I think).

Yeah I watched his review, probably one of the only semi prepared and cogent ( AND HD! ) reviews out there.

Heh yeah if there was more of a learning curve and you had to 'unlock'/learn the ability to use rifles/ar's/mg's that might add a nice touch. I did find it funny watching the video transition of "omg my bro just killed somone " to rambo shanking people from behind ...

Upvote 0
The game actually looks fun, not perfect, but it looks like a good buy.

But.. this is an UBI published title, and i haven't touched anything they have released for years because of DRM and other crap they have used, so i gotta ask: What's going on with the buisness model?

Any horrendous DRM that needs to be considdered? Any stupid 3'rd party bloatware accounts you need to sign up for? How are they screwing us over this time, or have they actually wisened up a bit of late?
Ubisoft has since dropped completely their draconian DRM systems due to massive amounts of complaints. See this article:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/06/why-might-ubisoft-have-changed-their-minds-on-drm/

The only thing that is required is a Uplay account for a 1 time activation during installation. After that you are free to play in offline mode.

Upvote 0
The only thing that is required is a Uplay account for a 1 time activation during installation. After that you are free to play in offline mode.

Yeah, no, not liking that one single bit to tell you the truth.

Bloody hell, guess i'll have to go look into what this uPlay nonsense is, and if it's a deal-breaker for me or not.

Upvote 0
I don't find Uplay intrusive at all. After installing it you only need to let it go online once to verify your account. Then you can set it to "start in offline mode" and it basically functions as a game launcher.

Sure, I'd rather not have another extra program to go through in order to launch my games, but it's really not that bad.

Upvote 0