• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Difficulties populating RO2 servers

Omar The Insurgent

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006
EDIT: Name of thread should be: "Difficulties populating RO2 servers"

Let me first explain that I am type of person that does not like to join that one full server which everyone joins. I like to start up a server with 1-2 people in it so there would be at least two playable servers.

However, I find it almost impossible to do so because there are always people joining AXIS side(I don't know why) in ratio almost 5:1. I ask for some of AXIS guys to join ALLIES and balance out teams, but there is never a response (are they bots also?).

Anyways, whole experience turns into trying to plug holes in a sinking ship. I find myself on allies side commanding the bots to defend/attack objectives while I try to cut off axis side with artillery or as MG class, but just as you capture one objective, my bots lose another one.

Most servers are like this and I do not understand if it has something to do with autobalance or not.

Also, I've said this countless times: Me and many other people are put off by nothing else but bots in RO2. I think most people would not mind playing 2 vs 2 with no bots while trying to start a server up.

I love this game and I think it is best FPS ever to be made, but these, simple to solve problems, are getting in the way of enjoying this beautiful game. I know that there is bot mutator that deals with these problems, but, in the end, you have to ask each admin to implement it, and even then the settings may vary.

What can I do?

Last edited:
I see often that for example russian side have 10 players and the german side 2.
So i want to join the german side and that is impossible.

It`s foolish..:rolleyes:

You missed the point. Whichever team has too many players on one side will make other team constantly quit and server will never fill up. Many take path of least resistance:

Why should they fight more intelligent opponent when they can all just farm xp together against bots?

Autobalance is not working and bots are just providing confusion for people because not everybody can see how outnumbered they are when they check scoreboard.

This leads to people quitting and thus reducing chances of server filling up.

Maybe. You can recognize a bot by them having a ping of 0.

I know that, I was just joking :)

Upvote 0
If autobalance isn't working for you, then either its a bug and should be reported in the bug section, or you have a server setting wrong.

That said, I could understand the frustration trying to get your own server going.

No... It is not my server, I am trying to populate ANY server up and it usually ends up like that.

I have edited OP with what name of the thread should really be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The the OP -- at this point, it's really just the way the game is, and yes, it is a shame.

Try to add some players to your list that you've played with, whose company you enjoy and then try to join them off steam or message them and see if they'll help you seed a server. I know that there are only a few servers that run low number client counts without using bots -- but those are the servers I frequent, otherwise I just don't play the game (more and more often). I feel the same way you do, and I'm sure we're not alone.

I know that RGN, when it's active, never has this particular problem -- they don't run bots. Most of their players are fairly cognizant of the balance in the teams too, and will actually switch if there is an imbalance that persists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am type of person that does not like to join that one full server which everyone joins.

Me and many other people are put off by nothing else but bots in RO2.
If you're avoiding all the servers where the players are, you're going to be playing with bots. If there really were enough people waiting around to populate another server - then there'd be another server populated.

Upvote 0
If you're avoiding all the servers where the players are, you're going to be playing with bots. If there really were enough people waiting around to populate another server - then there'd be another server populated.

I think you got this all wrong. You call avoiding human players when someone tries to populate 2nd server? I guess we should all just stack on the only full server, waiting for a slot to free up.

All I am saying is that bots and autobalance are making thinks harder for people to stay on servers. Bots create complete confusion and when you see all the AI frenzy with nobody saying at least "hi" on server, people start feeling like they are actually playing a singleplayer game.

Add to that the fact that each map lasts around 2 minutes because team stackers make other teams lose fast and you got magic formula for current state of the playerbase.

Upvote 0
Well then, I can only suggest joining an empty server with a very low setting of bots, and have your friends join you as well. This way you avoid the situation or at least minimize it. Either that or start your own server and make all the settings to your liking.

While I did ask "What can I do" in my original post, I am talking about a bigger issue here than just "joining an empty server with a very low setting of bots".

Take a look at following image taken few minutes ago:

sNMwm.jpg

There you can clearly see which kind of servers to people prefer.

There is also another problem that will confuse people using the steam server browser which shows falsely populated players. This image was taken about at same time as the first image:

5HKBt.jpg

As you can see in this image, only way to find out how many real players there are in server is to right click on it and click on "View server info".

In conclusion: Bots are cancer that are harming this community. I do not know about single person who enjoys to share server with AI players while there are 2-4 other human players on server.

Need more proof? Look at how many kills you can rack up in 2 rounds against bots:

3.jpg

I am trying really hard to enjoy RO2(which would be no problem normally), but zombies suicide rushing while trying to bash my head in with their weapon, time after time, really put me off. I shoot wave after wave after wave and they just keep coming. I would not mind it if it was a special game mode, but looks like most of the servers is infested with this problem. I guess I will just have to join that one server without bots and with players on it...

Oh wait, I can't.

4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know where you are located, but in Europe there is usually a lot more than just one populated server. Sure, the 40-1 server is always full (there is the Steam server browser option where you can queue up to join, however you usually have to wait a full game round until you are let in), but there is always some other server alternatives, alte junge, AKA, and especially the Russian servers, they always have 3 or 4 with a good well sized population and you can even switch around if the map on one of them is not to your liking. And then of course during prime time there seem to occur spontaneous populations of other random servers like the BOH server and others.

I haven't experienced the problem you describe lately, but then again it also depends on your geographical location.

And this is only realism servers, I haven't checked the classic or action situation in a long time.

Upvote 0
While the OP is getting a little whiny about it now... that doesn't mean he's wrong. A lot of us have been warning about this for months -- but it's almost like a political debate -- some see no reason for bots on ranked servers and others (most admins included) maintain that bots allow them to play the game when they want, etc., help populate servers, etc.

The reason it's like a political debate is that both sides of the issue won't budge on their position. End result -- steep decline of player numbers = we all lose.

Sigh.

Upvote 0
I see theres still the same problem with bots. the last time I played (about 4 months ago) the situation was, either join a full 64 player server (some good rounds, often really a cluster**** because of small maps) or join a server with 5-10 players farming bots. I it still the same??

Upvote 0
Then don't join a server with bots. The browser already tells you if there are bots on it.

And no, its not the same. There are plenty of populated servers with various amounts of players. Some have all human players and are full. Some are partially full with only human players. Some have mostly human players with a few remaining bots filling up the rest of the slots. Then there are the few servers with a couple of players and a few bots (and a few other miscellaneous configurations).

Upvote 0
I see theres still the same problem with bots. the last time I played (about 4 months ago) the situation was, either join a full 64 player server (some good rounds, often really a cluster**** because of small maps) or join a server with 5-10 players farming bots. I it still the same??
sounds to me like you might want to invest more time in the game. you've come back at another lull in the playerbase. steam needed to do something for the anniversary, yet didn't. :confused:
if you played more, you'd find a server with guys you get along with, that meets your gaming needs. then when you sign on, you'd know when and where to go for a good game. i find myself guilty of this as well. but i feel guilty after a week not playing. not four months. if i stayed away for four months, i wouldn't be surprised if there was no one there when i got back. i sure wouldn't blame the game for being absent that long.
you missed some good times while away. have you tried all the new maps since you got back?

Upvote 0