• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Two questions about my server

krakah

Sep 15, 2011
Hello All! I have two quick questions regarding my server.

First, is that I only have the menu options: Current Game, Player list, Server Console, Mutators, and Restart map in the Web Admin.

Is this normal? I've seen screen shots with more menus. I'm logged in using the username/password I specified in the AdminName, and AdminPassword switches in the server startup. Is there something else I have to do? Or is this it?

Second question. Do the servers produce logs? Is it possible to get the output in the console written to a file?

I have a server monitoring program PRTG (good stuff btw) and one of its "sensors" has the ability to monitor a text file for certain strings. For instance I could set it to monitor the text file for the word "error" or whatever the server says when someone joins, etc... lots of things it could keep track of for reporting.

Any help with these two items would be highly appreciated.

THANKS!

Hello All! I have two quick questions regarding my server.

First, is that I only have the menu options: Current Game, Player list, Server Console, Mutators, and Restart map in the Web Admin.

Is this normal? I've seen screen shots with more menus. I'm logged in using the username/password I specified in the AdminName, and AdminPassword switches in the server startup. Is there something else I have to do? Or is this it?

Click the "Defaults" button towards the top and middle of the page. It will give you move options.

Second question. Do the servers produce logs? Is it possible to get the output in the console written to a file?

I have a server monitoring program PRTG (good stuff btw) and one of its "sensors" has the ability to monitor a text file for certain strings. For instance I could set it to monitor the text file for the word "error" or whatever the server says when someone joins, etc... lots of things it could keep track of for reporting.

Any help with these two items would be highly appreciated.

THANKS!

You'll have to setup an output log with the startup script you are using, whether it's for Windows or Linux. Do a search on these forums for scripts of your platform, plenty have been written. One should suit your needs.

Upvote 0
Click the "Defaults" button towards the top and middle of the page. It will give you move options.

That was it. Thanks.

You'll have to setup an output log with the startup script you are using, whether it's for Windows or Linux. Do a search on these forums for scripts of your platform, plenty have been written. One should suit your needs.

Gonna look into this.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, its a Windows server.

Not too worried about the log size. Every morning at 4am I have a script that kills the server, runs an update, and starts it back up. Log file gets replaced each time.

That being said. Its not so much that the log STOPS. What happens is that it doesnt write to the log in realtime. Seems to dump a boat load of lines at a time. So for instance I'll open the log, see it got to say... line 500. Close it and reopen and it will still be at line 500. Come back 20 mintues later and it will be at line 1200. Weird. The UT3 server I run does this too, but in evern LARGER chunks.

Upvote 0
I host all my own stuff. I own the connection and the machines they run on. I'm directly on the machine opening it with notepad. I should try log expert.
however the monitoring software I have is set to scan the file every 30 seconds yet it too doesn't update but every couple hours. No big deal. Was hoping for real-time but ill take what I van get.

Upvote 0