• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why am I such a failure?

YoYoBatty

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2009
Canada
I see myself as a failure when it comes to modding Killing Floor. I know UScript works, but whenever I go to write code, I always have to reference other code to know what I should input, I try to implent ideas into my mod, and nothing comes, I don't know what I'm doing, and if I try to to do it and actually type something, it never works. Lets talk about my stupid ****ty mod that I have been fooling around with for the past 2 years or so. It's basically one and a half maps. The first one is called Outskirts, basically a road with stopped cargo trains blocking the ends and an abandoned one next to the road, on the other side of the road is a forest. There are a few cars on the road, and dry grass line the outside of the road, there is also a makeshift barricade set up next to the truck made up of metal sheets, wood, fences, etc... I know that what I've created is actually decent, but I don't really think it meets my standards. It's missing meshes like railway crossing signs, variety in train cars, transmission towers, messy power lines with the cable support surrounded by a yellow tube, dead bushes, terrain, all the stuff you would see in real life. I would make my own custom things and replace all the KF crap with my own stuff so I'm not stuck with the 50+ resources the game only has, but there is really no choice at the moment. I am actually expecting the previously listed things from my friend but he's been off steam for about a week now and it's really pissing me off. The_Sorrow managed to create this other half map in like no time at all, pretty much all by himself, it's called Mines, and it looks so much better than much ****ty work, and he wasn't even that experienced with UnrealEd at the time. By is this? Why is that I've been dicking around with my stupid *** lame work for almost 3 years and got like nothing done, and he is able to make this awesome map in a week or two? Why can't I grab a concept? Why can't I actually just make something that is worth my time? I hate my work with a passion. I've showed it off to so many people and they seem to love it, except me! I want to just smash my harddrive right now because I realized that my only passion and reason I feel happy is turning out to be a big waste of time. Everytime I try to create a map, I toss it away, I've seen new people come to the forums, give a go at mapping and then completely wipe my off the face of the earth, meanwhile here I am dragging my mouse around the Unreal Editor interface rebuilding the level every 2 seconds because the only thing I do is play around with the sunlight actor. I don't want my work, I want somebody else to have it, I'll just end up destroying it, it's going nowhere, it never has, there is no storyline, the maps are unplayable for gameplay purposes. If I knew I would have wasted all this time ****ing around on this stupid *** program for the past 3 years and then come to realize my only passion and thing that I've ever created that was "good" turned out to be the failure it currently is, I would have swallowed that entire bottle of tylenol without thinking twice.
I'll upload the mod, feel free to download it and laugh at my ****ty work that isn't even worth any bit of my time anymore because I hate it so much.

Last edited:
The struggles and pains of a perfectionist.

At the end of the day bro, it's down to you to take pride in your work, regardless of what everyone else thinks the only opinion that matters is your own. If you want it to be better, you have to make it better, and the only way to do that is to try new things, even if they fail.

You can't really start comparing your work to other peoples work. Take inspiration from it for sure, but don't put your own stuff down because someone else did a good job. Use what they have done to improve your own work, learn some new skills, look up as many tutorials and guides as you can and practise them. You may know it all already, in which case its a fresh recap, or you may not and you will automatically have gotten better.

However if you don't have the passion for it anymore then you do the right thing by dropping it. If you aren't enjoying what you are doing you will never do a job justice.

Its your call bro.

Upvote 0
11alcohol.jpeg

the solution is drink more trust me

Upvote 0
Maybe its just not your thing. There are some things you can just never be as skilled as you would like to be. Move on to something else. Seriously, if its been 3 years and you can't quite grasp it, you need to try something else. Perhaps you should try mapping for source? Your work would definitely be seen by a much larger audience.

If not, find a different computer related hobby. Game development (in any aspect) just isn't for you.

Upvote 0
Maybe its just not your thing. There are some things you can just never be as skilled as you would like to be. Move on to something else. Seriously, if its been 3 years and you can't quite grasp it, you need to try something else. Perhaps you should try mapping for source? Your work would definitely be seen by a much larger audience.

If not, find a different computer related hobby. Game development (in any aspect) just isn't for you.

I don't plan to ever switch to source in my lifetime, too much to learn, I don't like the engine in general, and I will never comprehend c++. I'll stick with UnrealEngine and UDK

Upvote 0
I love your work. Really.

I mean, it doesnt have to be perfect, you do have a lot of potential. Every modder has some imperfections. You do have some unfinished projects that i remember and with all honesty i was pissed that the KF 1.0 Port didnt have a final boss, or that the Geiger Counter never saw the light of day, but i know how hard it is to make something for a game that the community will enjoy. Take your time to perfect your work and release mods one by one when they are done. Dont try to follow release dates or give false promises. Just look at Black Mesa:Source. Sure, it took them a millenium, but still we got a great mod.

Also weed > Alcoholic Beverages.

Upvote 0