• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Refinement of the spawn on SL functionality

Refinement of the spawn on SL functionality

• The way it currently is (Spawn Leader and his brood demand it!)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • SL gets a server-configurable number of reinforcements every life to spawn

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Spawn only works after the SL uses the Force Respawn ability and FR is on a cool-down

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

I. Kant

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2007
I'll start with some context on this. For the pith of the suggestion, scroll down to below the :IS2:

Let me start by saying that recently I have had the mixed pleasure of playing me some realism mode again after a period on classic-only. Now, before that certain guy comes in decrying my foul attempts at meddling in "other people's" modes, let me clarify that I am okay with realism and while no longer as pivotal for me as classic, it is still "my" mode as well. It is only certain aspects of it that I feel could use with a dose of tweaking.

Which brings me to currently the most irksome aspect of that mode for me: spawn on SL.

I am a believer in spawn on SL, I really am, have been since the second week after RO2 was published (which is when I got the game). However, it's current implementation works not — at least not to my (and I understand some other people's) satisfaction. These reservations about it I have also had from the very moment I experienced the feature, but I never mentioned it on the forum, as I did not want to pour oil into TWI's fire at that time.

Now that Classic has been out for some time, I'd like to bring this up, however (and I know spawn on SL has been extensively discussed).

:IS2:

The suggestions:

Option A: current system of Spawn Leader

The current implementation is ridiculous. While it rewards the SL for staying alive by spawning friendlies nearby (ideally: in or near the capzone, thus bringing victory closer), it does nothing but promote a zerg rush mentality in the spawnees, bringing to my mind this certain YT vid I've recently seen (I mean specifically the first 2 minutes):

Call 2 Action (Call of Duty spoof) - YouTube

(So ridiculous is the current implementation, that in the heat of battle I sometimes accidentally did in fact refer to the SL as the Spawn Leader, for he is nothing short of that.)

Hell, were it even the way it is in that video, but it's not even that as experienced on the servers I frequent. What you get is an infiltrating SLer who spawns his offspring while zipping around the capzone, or somewhere near enemy spawn (think Grain Elevator and Germans taking over floors before B is actually capped).

Like I stated: the SL may be rewarded for staying alive (like he rightfully should), but his offspring are not and thus having little incentive to stay alive they become cannon fodder who seize capzones not by virtue of tactics, but by virtue of nadespam and autospam.

And all this because the SL is a viable spawnzone as long as he remains alive, meaning he can be spawning his brood every reinforcement wave. That's it, all sense of progress and achievement won by team-effort thrown away. A no-no to me. (I get it that it can simulate the Rattenkrieg confusion of Stalingrad, but takes from gameplay more than it brings.)

Option B: SLer with a limited amount of spawnable reinforcements

Not my preferred option yet, but this would be a system akin to what PR has: a SLer has a server-side configurable number of reinforcements that can spawn on him before his ability is depleted.

The downside to this system is that it penalises the SLer for staying alive after he depletes his allotted reinforcement count, which is again something that disqualifies it to me. I am only including this option because I, perhaps misguidedly, wanted to be constructive and offer more than just a polar choice.

Option C: SLer with Force Spawn functionality akin to TLer

By far my preferred choice, as it ties in with the Force Spawn functionality (meaning it's on a 2:30, or whatever the timer is, cooldown period) for the TLer and also because, more importantly, puts a cap on the SLers breeding frequency. Thus, staying alive is incentivised both for the SLer and his squad, as dying prematurely may mean they won't be around the action until the SLers Force Spawn is off cool-down (or they have to take the hike from a regular spawn).

It puts a bit more responsibility on the SLer, as the decision to spawn is on him and could be prone to exploits, as in when a SL sneaks into a pivotal area and suddenly spawns a full squad (who'd been waiting for this) all around him; or as in when a dunce SLer simply refuses to use the function, despite repeated entreaties. However, squad mates would retain their ability to choose a spawn point, allowing them to avoid that. And as for the problem of a full squad appearing out of thin air: have a limit of perhaps two or three spawn waves (meaning the full 20-odd second periods it takes to spawn) you can wait for a SLer to use his Force Spawn ability. More than that, and you are reverted to a regular spawn. This should serve to encourage the SLer to only use this ability where relevant: i.e. when squadmates need to be reunited with their squad.

Now the TLers Force Spawn would override the SLers Force Spawn, instantly removing the cool-down on that. (Just an idea, I'm all ears for improvements on this) This would again encourage more cooperation along the TL-SLs axis, hopefully lending itself to greater tactical interactions between the teams.

The way I see it, the feature wouldn't even need a hell of a lot of work, save for the indefinitely deferred spawn limitations that ought to be put in place.

---------------------------------

Now, as it seem no suggestions board thread would be replete without a mandatory poll these days, I'm including one as well.

I realise this may be seen as a drastic change to what some may feel is an already well-grounded game-play feature and that people are naturally resistant to change, but I honestly feel it would be to Realism's benefit were it reworked in the fashion proposed.

Comments, questions, dirty jokes?

Last edited:
Hi,

for me, the solution would be very simple: remove the whole "spawn on SL" feature! (should've added this to the poll maybe?)
I dislike it so much that it makes me stay far away from realism mode.
I've read some other ideas in the suggestion forums that I like more. Like having a reduced spawn time when dying near your SL. (spawning at a spawn point, not on SL off course).

I don't get the reasoning behind the feature. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'd rather remove completely this function that does nothing but remove completely any kind of punishment for death. I think most people who want that function just want to die as many times as they like without being punished for it. So I voted for restricting it to a force respawn wave. At least it would be used more rarely and be much less exploitable.

Upvote 0
I agree with you that the spawn on SL system could use work. But I like the feature, and it certainly should not just be removed, as it's practically the only possible way to get people in pubs working as squads.

I love option C. I think it could use a cap on how many get spawned, though.

An interesting idea is to allow people the ability to vote for a force respawn. This would take the form of, if, say, 50% of the squad is dead (arbitrary number) then voting is allowed. This is simply done by squad members pressing the force respawn button, which signals to the other members (and the SL) that force respawn is being voted. If a majority of those dead squad members votes for it, then the force respawn occurs. This will mitigate the problem of unattentive or new SLs.

If the SL doesn't want them doing that, well... they can just as well ask them not to. But I don't think it's too egregious to put some of the SL's power into the squad members' hands.

Upvote 0
I agree with you that the spawn on SL system could use work. But I like the feature, and it certainly should not just be removed, as it's practically the only possible way to get people in pubs working as squads.

Well, it's a wrong way imo. (I even doubt the spawning people act as a squad, but more like individuals in a raiding party).
Other ways are needed to enhance squad and teamplay in general. Not this deus ex machina feature.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I should make it clear that I am fine with Classic not having this option. I could be fine with Realism not having this option either, but why simply remove things, when you can rework and improve them?

This was a thread for the people who want this feature to stay (and I realise there are opponents and acknowledge their existence and their wishes). So, I'm all ears to what the people that would like the feature to stay have to say about it, but I'm also thankful for the opponents' of spawn on SL voice on this.

Option C that I proposed here would be a perfect thing for a squad that maintains cohesion and is unfortunate enough to be visited with a nade or a rampaging SMGer/MGer (soon to be less moronic, hopefully, the MGers that is). What the SLer then does is he uses his FR ability and BAM, squad is back to full and carries on maintaining its cohesion, fighting their way through the caps in a more meaningful way than currently.

Because there would be the cool-down period, silly lone-wolfs who bugger off far from their squad would only be respawned on the SL by accident and not in any meaningful way, so the harm caused by the current system would be lessened. It's as close to win-win as we can get, the way I see it. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I guess I wasn't explicitly clear on this. I left out the poll option pertaining to leaving out the spawn on SL in Realism because I meant this discussion to focus on how to make it work while leaving it in. I don't know how much clearer can I get, but I trust some of you to make me try me hand at elucidating on the matter one more time purty soon.

It's not about whether it's in or out. It's about how to make it work better. KA-CHING.

Upvote 0
I voted to leave it in (As is). I don't think it promotes some sort of zerg-rush mentality when it is so easy to die and respawn can take 1/3 of a minute (20 Secs).

It can be annoying, but it is a 'use at your own risk' feature. Spawning on SL can kill you very quickly. While it can occasionally cause some sort of brood affect which can be annoying, you gotta remember that the SL usually doesn't survive that long and gets stamped out pretty quickly.

To say that the people that spawn on SL have zero incentive to stay alive and just rush is pretty moot when you die so quickly with the time until respawn being so long. No one wants to just spawn, kill one person and repeat. They want to push an objective.
I have also stated before that it does promote Teamwork in most situations, especially close quarters where the SL takes front with an SMG, or in the open the squad follows for smoke.

I honestly would prefer if Realism was just left alone. Classic already removed spawn on SL, as well as many other features which the community(Forum) asked for. Why must Realism be invaded? Some of us prefer it the way it is, and it seems we don't get any consideration from these kinds of threads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it can be disabled, it just unranks the server, so if you dont like class/weapon progression, and dont like spawn-on-squad-leader, then it's the option for you.
Yeah, especially for the ones that don't want anyone to join their server. Nobody plays on unranked servers anyway, so the server would be always empty.

I voted to leave it in (As is). I don't think it promotes some sort of zerg-rush mentality when it is so easy to die and respawn can take 1/3 of a minute (20 Secs).

It can be annoying, but it is a 'use at your own risk' feature. Spawning on SL can kill you very quickly. While it can occasionally cause some sort of brood affect which can be annoying, you gotta remember that the SL usually doesn't survive that long and gets stamped out pretty quickly.

To say that the people that spawn on SL have zero incentive to stay alive and just rush is pretty moot when you die so quickly with the time until respawn being so long. No one wants to just spawn, kill one person and repeat. They want to push an objective.
I have also stated before that it does promote Teamwork in most situations, especially close quarters where the SL takes front with an SMG, or in the open the squad follows for smoke.

I honestly would prefer if Realism was just left alone. Classic already removed spawn on SL, as well as many other features which the community(Forum) asked for. Why must Realism be invaded? Some of us prefer it the way it is, and it seems we don't get any consideration from these kinds of threads.
But you also have to look on the long run. It's not that big of an issue on the tiny sotck maps we have now, but what about large maps that will eventually come out? What use will transport vehicles have when people can just spawn anywhere in the map? And what would be the point of making a large map if everyone can spawn 10m away from the capzone? SL spawn is a feature that can only work on small maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, especially for the ones that don't want anyone to join their server. Nobody plays on unranked servers anyway, so the server would be always empty.

But you also have to look on the long run. It's not that big of an issue on the tiny sotck maps we have now, but what about large maps that will eventually come out? What use will transport vehicles have when people can just spawn anywhere in the map? And what would be the point of making a large map if everyone can spawn 10m away from the capzone? SL spawn is a feature that can only work on small maps.

I'm almost positive the map maker can limit the area where SL spawn is permitted. I see your point, but I believe there are better ways of working around it than just defaulting to removal or further restricting the feature.

My 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I'm almost positive the map maker can limit the area where SL spawn is permitted. I see your point, but I believe there are better ways of working around it than just defaulting to removal or further restricting the feature.

My 2 cents.
Not anymore. SL spawn now behaves the same way in all maps. It is no longer up to the mapper. If they just were given the option to disable it once again, I'd be completely happy about it.

Upvote 0