• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Running speed related to suppression level?

Neuromante

Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2006
You are moving from cover to cover, when suddenly a machinegun burst flies past your head: Wouldn't that truly put wings to your feet?
So, I was thinking: Could the maximum running speed become bound to the suppression level? For example, a 0% amount of suppression would let you run at 80% of the maximum speed your character can run at, 50% suppression would let you run at 90% and 100% at maximum speed.

Now, this isn't just for the cool factor or the war movie feel. The way adrenaline changes human abilities is a very real and documented fact. In the game you can see it as a tradeoff of sorts, maybe returning fire is not an option but getting to cover just might be. I don't think such a game mechanic exists in other FPS games either, so it could be an interesting first.

Thoughts?

Personally, I do not like this. It creates a negative incentive for suppressive fire.

Everything in life has pros and cons ;)

but I'm not a big fan of allowing players to run even faster than they already do, regardless of the game mode.

You're right in the middle of a bloody, merciless battle.... I would hope my character was already running as fast as he could. I'm not just paranoid of mg fire and surpression, but every second you're out from cover is enough time for a marksman or a lucky shot to take you out, so I'd already be running like hell.

Upvote 0
Personally, I do not like this. It creates a negative incentive for suppressive fire.
I don't really foresee people thinking "I'll shoot less, he might become faster". :D

Everything in life has pros and cons ;)
Exactly my thinking. I like games with complex consequences to actions.

but I'm not a big fan of allowing players to run even faster than they already do, regardless of the game mode.
Actually I envisioned players running a bit slower by default, at least in Realism, their "true potential" unlocking through suppression. Of course the sprint should then last less, the total distance covered by a suppressed and an unsuppressed sprinting player becoming the same.

You're right in the middle of a bloody, merciless battle.... I would hope my character was already running as fast as he could. I'm not just paranoid of mg fire and surpression, but every second you're out from cover is enough time for a marksman or a lucky shot to take you out, so I'd already be running like hell.
I'd think you can get used to the possibility of getting shot, much less to being under fire and helpless. Generally I would be against features that take away some control from the player, but we all got used to the stuff our characters yell randomly, right? :D

Short documentary about how a quick release of adrenaline can affect your running ability below:

Adrenaline: Fight or Flight Response - YouTube

Upvote 0