• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Update Error BugsLayerUtil.DLL not found

Same issue

Same issue

I too have the same problem. I restarted my machine which is all I could think of doing as I have been able to update my servers in the past.
From doing some research the IPC client is used in Perl scripting.

I tried starting from scartch by downloading steamcmd with the same error when trying to download the server files.

Upvote 0
I attempted updating the SteamCMD tonight, and updating my server , still fails with same error.
My server has been down for a long time now, myself and other server admins need some help to get games back online.

The error started after the update last week, I have been unable to update my server since the. I had changed to the new SteamCMD when the prior update came out, wrote my update scripts , and everything worked fine.
now the error persists.

Nothing logs as a error

my Steam.log
CsComm Session Jul-27-2012 16:05:18.016 [4340] ReconnectThread (4340) Starting

CsComm Session Jul-27-2012 16:05:33.557 [3820] ReconnectThread (3820) Starting

CsComm Session Jul-27-2012 16:06:38.380 [4896] ReconnectThread (4896) Starting

CsComm Session Jul-27-2012 16:08:09.204 [3540] ReconnectThread (3540) Starting

CsComm Session Jul-27-2012 16:09:45.531 [4728] ReconnectThread (4728) Starting

CsComm Session Jul-27-2012 16:10:46.383 [3000] ReconnectThread (3000) Starting
CsComm Session Jul-27-2012 16:11:17.219 [3000] ReconnectThread (3000) Told to exit

CsComm Session Jul-29-2012 20:36:10.545 [3528] ReconnectThread (3528) Starting

CsComm Session Jul-29-2012 20:36:38.244 [3544] ReconnectThread (3544) Starting

CsComm Session Jul-29-2012 20:37:23.103 [3344] ReconnectThread (3344) Starting

CsComm Session Jul-30-2012 22:00:55.112 [2592] ReconnectThread (2592) Starting

CsComm Session Jul-30-2012 22:01:35.866 [1556] ReconnectThread (1556) Starting
Is it possible to roll back to the former HL Updater until Valve gets the new system debugged and working correctly?

What files exactly do I need to pull or change from a client PC to the server to set my server as "UPDATED"
a manual solution would be fine for now to at least get servers back online.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am afraid there may not be an easy fix to this one, well it may be for the steam developers. I doubt there is any going back to the HL Updater. My servers were finally working correctly too until the summer event ended. I hibernate my Steam PC so my Steam was running when this occured while my servers became outdated. Without my Steam getting updated, I could connect and play on my servers, but when I restarted steam (it updated) I could no longer connect and have been unable to update my server.
I do not see any way currently to download the updated server files manually.
Fortunately, there are servers out there hosting KF games still.
Gotta look for the positives =]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Long Term Server FAIL to Update

Long Term Server FAIL to Update

This issue is still persisting

Tripwire Staff: is there any resolution being worked on for this ?
Can we expect a resolution,or are those of us effected by this to
no longer run servers.

What is different for servers that are able to update, can we replicate
whatever is different.

Can you host a updated files that we can download the files that were effected from update so that we can manually update our servers.

Can the server files be updated from a client install, if so what files would need transfered to the server to complete a update and be able to run our server once again.

Please help, I once ran a very active Killing Floor server , and it has been down for a long time now.

Upvote 0
Still the same

Still the same

[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[ 0%] Download complete.
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam_: BugslayerUtil.DLL not found
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam3...IPC client is in my process, could/should be using an in-proces
s pipe.IPC server is in my process - could/should be using an in process pipe
OK.
Loading Steam2...OK.
Logging in user 'loginname' to Steam Public...IPC client is in my process, could
/should be using an in-process pipe.IPC server is in my process - could/should b
e using an in process pipe

Upvote 0
My server still will not update,
Error exactly the same
see image
[url]http://dmmclan.net/KF-steamupdateerror8-6-2012.PNG[/URL]

KF-steamupdateerror8-6-2012.PNG

Upvote 0
CrossFire, the issue is fixed. You can see in your screen grab that the error lines are there as before BUT you can now log in successfully (as you have done) and continue to update the server(s).
Type the following command at the prompt at the end of your screen capture to begin the update.
app_update 215350 validate

The update process does not take more than 3-5 seconds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
my server was not updating, would not run, I deleted the entire directory structure in attempt to install fresh , it failed in error , over and over and over,
I did not have the sucess that other did

my batch script is

run D:\Steamcmd\SteamCmd.exe +login ------- ------ mvh2b +force_install_dir D:\Game Installs\KillingFloor\ app_update 215350 validate

I downloaded a new from Steam steamcmd, I ran it , and logged in, it doesnt remember how many times I have set the steam guard code, ran steam cmd again to set steam guard code, got the bugs---dll error, had to delete the steam cmd folder content except for the steamcmd.exe and start over,
from command line I set steam guard code , logged in,(got errors- continued on) set force install , set app_update, installed into a new directory, downloaded fine,copied all files into my existing KF server folder , updated in INI's and server is now running.

The entire SteamCMD update process is incredibly bugged, and should have been tested further before rolling out, this is supposed to be a faster more efficient method to update, my server has been down for 2 weeks, so I beg to differ on that point. I am upset that I received absolutely ZERO help from the developers, and Valve/Steam could care less , they do not respond at all to problem submissions. Those of us that have Kept the Killing Floor community active and viable, should have a channel for assistance, These forums are absolutely NOT that. My server is now up, but I am walking away from this thread with absolute disgust... until next time that I post a problem that will not get assisted with, us server admins are on our own to hope we can muddle our way through......

peace out

Upvote 0
Cross, I can sort of understand your frustration. I was there myself, but as long as there is nothing going on with the updating, 'muddling my way through' I find fun.
Glad you got your server(s) going.

The new SteamCMD server are a bit of a change but it seems that it is more stable in my experience as my servers rarely crash now.

Upvote 0