• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why don't tracers bounce around?

Krane65

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2012
One of my favorite features of RO1 was how MG tracers bounced around the map randomly. I don't know how realistic it was, but either way I don't care and it was a cool feature. Why wasn't this included in RO2? Or have they just not gotten around to including it yet?

One of my favorite features of RO1 was how MG tracers bounced around the map randomly. I don't know how realistic it was, but either way I don't care and it was a cool feature. Why wasn't this included in RO2? Or have they just not gotten around to including it yet?

Interesting question.

I have never noticed this myself anyway. Bullet ricochet is realistic though even if it depends on the surface. Can't help to post this video. It was the first thing that came up in my mind. :D

.50 BMG Ricochets and Hits Guy in Head - YouTube

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
FALSE! I've seen them.

FALSE! I've seen them.

I have witnessed the ricochet of MG tracers. Admittedly I have only seen this happen on one map and only with the fixed Maxim. I did not record visual proof but I have seen tracers ricochet on TE-Station when firing the fixed Maxim at the frame of a wrecked train car. Try it yourself. They weren't sparks, they were green. The specific MG location was on the 3rd floor where the side of the building juts out and there's one window looking towards the axis spawn. It happened on the current patch.

Upvote 0
Tracers can't bounce. You're seeing the traces off the fragmenting shatter effect when they hit an obstacle.

It's understandable why they don't. If you have tracer ricochets, it raises the inevitable tendency for people to expect bullet ricochets as well. It's misleading to do just one and not the other.

Upvote 0
I saw them occur just yesterday actually. Playing on the new map Maganay'urin KruggerMallencamp'Expidalioucious or whatever you call it.

I was Russian MG defending and had setup a few feet behind and slightly above some sandbags picking germans off as they came over the ridge and through some road blocks..... I unloaded on a couple and the way I was aiming, many of my green tracers hit the edges of the sandbags and ricocheted off the sandbags, upward on about a 15 degree angle, flung a bit beyond the sandbags and then flopped to the ground.

It's not as often or as excessive as what existed in RO1, but it exists none the less in RO2.

And I like that they're not as excessive as they were in RO1..... often in RO1 it kind of felt like there was a Klingon Bird of Prey flying around the map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hm, I don't think so. Is there a video that can proof this, because I haven't seen it happen.

I'm not about to waste my time setting up a game, recording it and uploading it to YouTube to prove a claim others in here have also confirmed in witnessing.

Play some more and eventually you'll see them as well.

Better yet, setup an MG sometime near some sandbags and aim along the top edges of the sandbags & unload (SP Campaign or Offline Match perhaps)..... I'm sure you'll eventually see them bounce around and go off on different directions.

It all depends on what they're hitting and at what angle. The video you provided appears as though they're purposely trying to make the tracers bounce, thus they're bouncing quite often & dramatically.

Upvote 0
Tracers can't bounce. You're seeing the traces off the fragmenting shatter effect when they hit an obstacle.

It's understandable why they don't. If you have tracer ricochets, it raises the inevitable tendency for people to expect bullet ricochets as well. It's misleading to do just one and not the other.

All I remember is watching them bounce all over irl. Weather it's fragments of the round or not ins't the point I don't think. I would think fragments wouldn't follow a direct path as they do irl when rounds are deflected from the ground, branches of trees or whatever.

Upvote 0