• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why all the hate on the Claymore Sword?

pie1055

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Bedlam
Sometimes I wonder if Claymore haters just never used it enough, but whats with all the beef? Slow swing speed? Is that the reason? There must be something that makes people think this weapon is underpowered, but I just don't get it. It's not like because the Claymore costs a little more and is 3rd tier it should be a complete upgrade in every regard, but it does have its own unique good aspects.

Maybe people just don't realize the good points about it? For starters, there's range.
Weapon Range!
Spoiler!

Due to the chainsaw's apparently unused range modifier, The claymore has the longest reach out of any melee weapon (even the bat if you're counting that ;)). While that may be by only around 10, it makes a world of a difference in practice. You can hit anything that attacks by melee without any fear of retaliation, and crawlers can be taken down in air much easier than with a katana.

Next +point: Utility value. Much like the axe, the claymore's alt does enough damage to stun a scrake while also doing little enough to avoid raging a fleshpound with a single hit. Unlike the axe, husks and sirens can be killed with a single primary swing to the head on 6man hoe. Similar foes would only be decapped by the axe's primary for what it's worth.

Last +point: Ease of loadout. Typically, if a zerk chooses to use the axe they complement it with the katana. This complicates things as you have three weapons tied to the melee button (default: 1). Claymore zerks usually dont bring along a katana, so only two weapons on the 1 key. However I will concede that this is a more subjective thing.

So what are your negative points about the claymore that keep you from using it? All I can see is;

Slower swing speed/damage timing (legitimate)
1 additional weight block than Axe (does this make THAT big a difference?)
Price (its not what, dirt cheap?)
Not British enough/visually unappealing (I'm really searching for reasons now)

Last edited:
1. It doesn't fit in a LAR loadout (Katana, Fire Axe, LAR 1+3+5+6 = 15/15) It would work with M79 set-up though because the M79 only needs 4 weight blocks.

2. It's more expensive so lower level players get used to the Katana/Axe as they can't afford it as easily, as well older players are trained up on the timings of Katana/Axe.

3. The Alt-fire of the Fire Axe does slightly more damage then Claymore Alt-fire (640 vs 688 (550 x 1.25)).

Generally in my experience it's better to just LAR/9MM/M79/'nade a group of crawlers then trying to claymore them, it takes too long and once in a while you'll get swarmed from behind. It's not that hard to quickly 9MM single crawler either.

Lastly ancient players stuck in their ways :p. Not many people care as much about "Side-grades".

Upvote 0
I used to play with Katana+Claymore+DualHC. But I changed over to the axe loadout because the HCs need two shots to kill one crawler.
Furthermore, I cannot use the LAR (one-hits crawlers) with that loadout and I can stun Husks with the LAR.
Moreover, you need nine head hits with the claymore and the axe for an 6-man HoE fleshpound, so there is no real benefit is using it.
Using the claymore instead of the katana is very hard to handle as the claymore has nearly the same swing speed as the axe (1.07-1.0). Also you cannot chain zed times.
All in all, the claymore is good against the patriarch due to its range.

Upvote 0
You've made some good points.

HERE is why we think the Claymore is underpowered:

The Katana is Overpowerd...

Thats it. What would be great is the following MINOR changes:

Increase Katana weight to 4 blocks. (Katanas weigh almost 4 lb in rl)
Decrease Claymore weight to 5 blocks. (Claymores weigh about 5.5 lb)
Switch the prices of the Katana and Claymore. (Katanas are more valuable)
Add it to slot 4 (like the Chainsaw) for ease of use.

The Claymore would then be worth using. Even though you can't chain zed time, it has a good range and dps and can stun Scrakes. Weight matters a LOT more than people think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just think the normal axe/katana/LAR works the best. Claymore is slow and barely better than axe imo. and handcannons i hate them xD LAR is best for killing crawlers and stunning husks and you can headshot/corner kill fps if you cant get near them when kiteing (to many husks and sirens right behind him) handcannons are just meh.

Upvote 0
I just think the normal axe/katana/LAR works the best. Claymore is slow and barely better than axe imo. and handcannons i hate them xD LAR is best for killing crawlers and stunning husks and you can headshot/corner kill fps if you cant get near them when kiteing (to many husks and sirens right behind him) handcannons are just meh.

Im the opposite. I love handcanons. They have minor pentration force, so if you line your shots up, you can take out two crawlers in one shot, plus they look cool ;)

As for the claymore, I just dont like how its Alt fire does work as well as the axe, or maybe its because it isnt as fast as the axe. Either way, I do play with the claymore, and I like it higher damage, but its longer range, doesnt seem to be a lot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The thing I dislike about the claymore is that there's a mini-delay before attacking.

When you M1 with katana or axe (or dagger or machete) you'll immediately attack, even if you have a slight 'cooldown' afterwards (axe).
However, the claymore attack has a slight pause before it, and a slight pause after, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but takes some getting used to compared to the other melee weapons which I'm more used to.

And I don't play much zerker, so never saw the point of adapting.

Upvote 0
my beef with the claymore is that its larger size and slower swinging speed don't correlate to its damage output. Also, I get this nagging feeling like a sword that large should be able to strike multiple targets in a single swing. I know the KF melee code doesn't really work like that, but the claymore kinda makes me wish it did ;)

Upvote 0
my beef with the claymore is that its larger size and slower swinging speed don't correlate to its damage output. Also, I get this nagging feeling like a sword that large should be able to strike multiple targets in a single swing. I know the KF melee code doesn't really work like that, but the claymore kinda makes me wish it did ;)

Agree, with such a long sword, and a wide and broad swing, it should deal damage to multiple targets. Now, if that was added to the claymore sword, then I would definitly use it a LOT more

Upvote 0
1. Lower Claymore's weight to 5 blocks
2. Put it to slot 4 or lower its priority, so it will be switched after katana (like Axe) wren pressing "1".
Then Claymore would be way more useful.
Problem is, Claymore can be used to be a single weapon and not need a second weapon. I personally use Claymore on it's own (melee wise) as it really doesn't need any other help. I like this as you have less weight + more damage + No need to swap weapons. I think maybe a weight change is enough but nothing else should change personally. It's the "elite" weapon compared to Katana and that is how I think it should stay.

Upvote 0
I think the claymore was designed to be used as an alternative to both axe and katana, and so should weigh more than either of them, but not more than both of them combined.

I do however think that it should be placed after a katana in priority, because if someone were to use the claymore and katana, they'd use the katana for clearing trash, so it should be top priority.

I also think a tiny speed buff to it would be nice. Base fire rates of primary fires are: katana: 0.67s, claymore: 1.05s, axe: 1.1s, which makes it better than the axe, but not really that much better IMHO.
I'd prefer to see it around the 0.9 second mark, to clearly mark it as a middle-man between the two weapons. At the moment (assuming you only hit heads) it's not significantly better than the axe.

IMHO, it needs to find it's ground as half-way house between katana and axe, not being quite as good as either at their given aspect, but meaning the user doesn't need to carry two weapons or swap between them during fighting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Problem is, Claymore can be used to be a single weapon and not need a second weapon. I personally use Claymore on it's own (melee wise) as it really doesn't need any other help. I like this as you have less weight + more damage + No need to swap weapons. I think maybe a weight change is enough but nothing else should change personally. It's the "elite" weapon compared to Katana and that is how I think it should stay.

What about weight change plus price switch with Katana. I think we can ALL agree that the katana is more useful in general.

So:
Claymore: 1000 dosh
Katana: 1250 dosh

It wouldn't hurt to make the Katana weigh 4 blocks, but I'm not sure if a lot of people would support that.

Upvote 0