• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Randomly designate place to hole up

gomgom

Jul 4, 2009
Mostly,once discovered place which is best to hole up,players never use anywhere else.Notable example is BiotecLab in which team never move away start point that make it extremely boring and noobish map.Most maps suffered this problem,veteran players are boring to hole up same place every time.

This suggestion to force or recommend players to hole up randomly designated area,such as room,floor,tunnel,house,building,rooftop,underground or anywhere.

I thought some method

Object - Place some valuable object,such as safe,hostage which players have to guard.

Reward - Spawn ammo box,vest,money and weapons each wave there.

Requirement - Players needs to kill most specimens from there.

Punishment - If players holed up without designated place that cut bonus money which given survivor when every wave is over.

How do you think it,and are there any other good method?

Make it a mutator, and some combination of your reward and punishment, so that survivors are encouraged to hold up there, but if they don't want to then they CAN hold up elsewhere instead, if they knowof a much better spot.

You'd also need some kind of pointing device to get you there. Something like the trader red mist, but maybe blue and the mist appears on a keypress instead, allowing you to find your way to there when you want.

But yea, it would be cool. :)

Upvote 0
Idk, one of the cool things about KF is that you're able to go wherever you fancy or play however you like. Outright forcing players to play how the game wants them to and punishing them for no doing that will take that away, what a shame. One of the reasons KFers prefer KF over L4D is that L4D forces a method of playing straight down your throat.

But what would work, is encouraging players to go there like you said in one place. KF encourages people to co-operate and mix and use perks and weapons correctly. I suppose the reward method would be by far the best.

But what will they be rewarded with? A pile of ammo doesn't mean much at all at the beginning of the wave. Weapons won't work, as people generally have all the weapons they need anyway and rewarding them their weapons (or dosh, for that matter) is potentially overpowering. Faster perk levelling is a no-go, too.

Upvote 0
agreed with gibby, that is the beauty of KF, you have the freedom of choice, whether its a good spot, or a bad spot, there are is nothing stopping you from holding where ever you want. Me and my buds actually like finding new and unconventional places to hold, heres a game from last night where we held near spawn on foundry, a tough and challenging spot, quite a nice change from third floor or the basement

Killing Floor: Foundry 6 man HoE Wave 10 + Pat - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
agreed with gibby, that is the beauty of KF, you have the freedom of choice, whether its a good spot, or a bad spot, there are is nothing stopping you from holding where ever you want.

I assumed that'd be the point of the mutator. At the moment, people tend to hold up in the same spots, over and over, whereas with this mutator, it'd pick, say, 5-10 points on the map, and every wave randomly designate one which was the place to hold up at. Of course, people could still hold up on the third floor anyways, but they wouldn't receive the bonuses that holding up at the designated spot would offer.

At the moment, we have the freedom to hold up at any spot we want, but the crucial point IMHO is that we don't use it. Almost every map has one specific holdup point that always gets used when people play that map. Anything that encourages people to use a bit of variety in their spots is good by my book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I assumed that'd be the point of the mutator. At the moment, people tend to hold up in the same spots, over and over, whereas with this mutator, it'd pick, say, 5-10 points on the map, and every wave randomly designate one which was the place to hold up at. Of course, people could still hold up on the third floor anyways, but they wouldn't receive the bonuses that holding up at the designated spot would offer.

At the moment, we have the freedom to hold up at any spot we want, but the crucial point IMHO is that we don't use it. Almost every map has one specific holdup point that always gets used when people play that map. Anything that encourages people to use a bit of variety in their spots is good by my book.

well the only fault there is the players, not the game, it gets boring camping the easiest spot on the map every time you play it, i would think that is encouragement enough to try out new spots. i dont think you should receive any type of bonus for choosing a different spot, wouldn't that just make it as easy as camping the traditional safe spot?

Upvote 0
Oh aye, it is the player's fault. And yes, giving people bonuses for camping alternate spots will in theory make it as easy to camp there as to camp at the normal spot (otherwise if it were harder, people would probably ignore the mutator after the initial "COOL NEW STUFF" spark).

However, despite all that, the problem remains, and I doubt the playerbase will change anytime soon, since on a pub game, you'll have probably at best 1-2 players who want to try something new, and 4-5 players who want to stay in the boring spot. Hence, a change in the game might be a way to encourage them to try new things.

Upvote 0
I've always wanted to write a mutator that forces people to move about, and now that I have the knowledge I might just give it a try when I've cleared out some existing projects.

One of the reasons KFers prefer KF over L4D is that L4D forces a method of playing straight down your throat.

How so? Survival (the closest game mode to KF's) doesn't force you to play in any particular style. You can chose where you want to camp, or (if the map is big enough) run around kiting.

Upvote 0
So you don't deny that your argument made no sense? :rolleyes:

Well you could b*tch out everyone else who makes a similar comment.

Anyways

Example

L4D outright forces people to co-operate. If you go off on your own, the AI director rapes you on the spot. It renders the player unable to do anything, and he has to rely on his friends. The co-op is forced.

Killing Floor does not do that. The co-op is not forced.

Amongst other minor things.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
I think this would be a terrific mutator. I can picture a server with 20 people or so trying to mob to the designated zone while getting picked off one by one getting there. Of course if you are not into playing a match where the game is telling you where to hold up you can always leave.

Anything that encourages people to not use the exact same camping spots that have been used for years is fine by me. Hope to see this get made and used.

@Ben or whoever works on it, I'd help test this a bit. Msg me for steam name.

Upvote 0
IT IS SAD
people go to spots like water- to path of least resitsnace down stream into easy spots. They think of survival like Darwin and finches who were like "I need to evolve, bros, and eat nuts and live like God wants" and so he grew a new moyth. So is like evolving water, taking shape of container for living.

But they need to become men by becoming pros by sheding need to survive by becoming camping everywhere and not camping sometimes. It is growth from animal to man, like water becoming ice, firm and sink titanic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IT IS SAD
people go to spots like water- to path of least resitsnace down stream into easy spots. They think of survival like Darwin and finches who were like "I need to evolve, bros, and eat nuts and live like God wants" and so he grew a new moyth. So is like evolving water, taking shape of container for living.

But they need to become men by becoming pros by sheding need to survive by becoming camping everywhere and not camping sometimes. It is growth from animal to man, like water becoming ice, firm and sink titanic.

First off hahahaha. Second of all yes. Thirdly this mutator would be a great tool to assist people in evolving from "animal to man" as you put it. As things are you will be hard pressed to find players that choose to hold a difficult area. I'm not saying there aren't any, I just don't think there are a lot of them. If you are playing a difficulty that challenges you while holding a good spot why would you got to a bad spot? This mutator is the catalyst to push people into that scenario and I think it would be a blast : )

Upvote 0
If I do decide to give this a try I'll give this thread a bump. :)

Well you could b*tch out everyone else who makes a similar comment.

Except you made the comment, not someone else. I do agree that the game 'forces' a particular way of playing (playing as a team), but that's to the benefit of the game (it being a team game and all). Though I don't agree that the survival mode is half-arsed, since given the context of the standard game mode I don't see a lot that could be changed.

Upvote 0
I do agree that the game 'forces' a particular way of playing (playing as a team), but that's to the benefit of the game (it being a team game and all). Though I don't agree that the survival mode is half-arsed, since given the context of the standard game mode I don't see a lot that could be changed.

I also don't think that forcing players to play as a team on a team-based Co-op is a bad thing. If you want to solo, get a singleplayer game? It's a bit like saying driving a car REQUIRES you to be able to see, or FORCES you to have some form of motor control (hurrhurr jokes). Yes, but I'd kinda take that for granted and have no objections on it?

I do agree that L4D survival is a joke though. I have only ever played it to get achievements, and have probably played L4D survival like 5 times beyond that (bearing in mind I have combined 600+ L4D hours and every achievement). IMHO, KF is basically what L4D survival should have been like.

Upvote 0