• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] Game Unplayable since May Patch:

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
Well I finally downloaded everything, confirmed game cache, updated my Nvidia drivers, reset my video settings to the way they were prior to the patch, reset my controls back to the way they were before the patch..... and:

Prior to the patch, I was getting a steady 15-16 fps..... now I am getting 8 fps.

I dropped all my video settings down to medium / low, dropped my resolution down to the lowest 16:9, took a bunch of stuff off to help my system out a bit, dropped my audio channels from 64 down to 32..... and now I'm getting about 20fps.

That's a good thing...... The bad thing is that when I try out the training mission to test things out before I go online, I can't move properly.

I can look around decently, everything seems smooth in that regard, but the problem is when I try to move around, let alone run, everything acts like I'm playing online with a horrible ping, in that I'm jittering all over the damn screen, I can't time my movements properly to jump over the pits and everything reminds me of what I was experiencing with the "Speed Hack Detected" issues when I played using my Wi-Fi connection.

^ But it's single player / training mode and offline, so wtf is with that?

I could play just fine before this patch, even though my FPS were pretty low, but now just to get the FPS I had before or that + an extra 5 fps, I had to drop everything down in quality & resolution, which I didn't have to do before..... and now I have this movement problem on top of that.

Hopefully there's a solution to this issue because right now I have no possible way of playing this game, either offline or online now.

Specs:
Intel Core i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz
8GB of RAM
Windows 7 64-Bit Operating System
Nvidia GeForce 210 - 4GB of RAM
1TB Internal HD
Hi-Speed Telstra (Aus) Internet, Hard Wired (not Wi-Fi)

Since the patch things been difficult for me also.

Mainly just Speed hack Detection, and session ban that follows it, I have WI-FI, but it never did this before. Some rare time it happend before...Now it happens every 5 minutes of playing in ANY posible server.

Does the game run ok offline in the SP Campaign for you?

Upvote 0
Does the game run ok offline in the SP Campaign for you?
Yeah I tried single player, ( only the training ) and it works fine. But....you know...Single player RO2 is not what I want to play ;)

Yesterday night it worked a bit better. I didnt et session ban for 30 min. A huge improvement but still...At the end I got session ban.

Today I tried something new, I put my computer right beside my internet connection, ( meaning my internet connection br were at maximum ( 5 bar ) and I still get session ban.

PS : I have WI-FI... But Like I mention in other post, my wif-i never got in the way of playing RO2 before ( few months ago )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Silly question, you have defragged the files after downloading them right? That may account for the sluggishness in the first few minutes of the game, then smoother afterwards...

I'll check that out.... thanks.... forgot about that one, even though I verified Cache.

Though I don't know if it'd be fragmented since I re-downloaded the entire game from scratch when the patch came out (I removed it a while ago when I wasn't playing it for a few months)

Yeah I tried single player, ( only the training ) and it works fine. But....you know...Single player RO2 is not what I want to play ;)

Yesterday night it worked a bit better. I didnt et session ban for 30 min. A huge improvement but still...At the end I got session ban.

Today I tried something new, I put my computer right beside my internet connection, ( meaning my internet connection br were at maximum ( 5 bar ) and I still get session ban.

PS : I have WI-FI... But Like I mention in other post, my wif-i never got in the way of playing RO2 before ( few months ago )

Hmmmm.... I used to play RO2 on WiFi when it first came out, and most times it was ok, but more often than not, I'd get the Speed Hack Detected issue and get banned.

When this occurred the most, I later found out that my wife was on the laptop downloading stuff, or uploading videos to facebook, or something else that would take up the bandwidth.

Eventually I got everything sorted out for when I played and when she used the net, but eventually it got worse to the point it was happening all the time even if I was just the only one using our net.

By the end of it, I just dropped the whole WiFi thing, moved my computer into the living room where the modem is and wired it into the system...... no more problems.

But what you may want to do for your problem is the following:

• Check & make sure nobody is using your internet at the same time you are.
• Check nobody is piggybacking off your internet
• Check your Task Manager to see if there are any hidden programs running in the background that could be taking some of your internet.
• Run a Spyware Checker and/or Registry Scanner (I use Registry Mechanic and Ad-Adware) to clean up your system from spyware that could be using your internet and bogging things down..... and to get rid of any issues in your Registry that could be slowing your system down with processing various operations.
• Hard Wire your system into your modem & don't use Wi-Fi if possible.

^ Just my suggestions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you considered upgrading the video card? That really seems to be a bottleneck.

Yes, I have been told that plenty of times ;) But the game runs, I can play well, I end up usually in the top 5 on my team most days, so it works good enough for now.

Back in December I think, I was looking to get a new video card to upgrade, and posted a thread to get some suggestions, but then my son was born prematurely..... and I walk off my job due to the BS they were putting me through, so that money had to go to more important things.

But my video card works fine for now. It even runs Skyrim pretty well too.... it meets the minimum requirements for RO2. When I get some money down the road, it will be one of the first things I get for myself.

The problem noted in the original post of this thread seemed to have resolved itself, so who knows?

Upvote 0
Just as an update to this thread.... Multiplayer play is perfectly fine for me, but I just got back from trying the SP Campaign Training Mode and Spartanovka for the Germans' side and on both maps the same thing occurred with movement.

• Panning my view around the screen is perfectly fine.
• Aiming and Shooting is perfectly fine
• Where my original FPS prior to the patch was about 14-15fps, I'm getting a steady 20fps

It's only when I am moving my character that my movement gets all jerky and screwed up.

And no... it's not because of the video card, before anybody else suggests that, because again, online play works just fine and I never had a problem with my video card before the patch and my video card isn't giving me issues online.

Something's going on with the SP Campaign where moving my character is all jerky and stuttering.

All the bots run smoothly, all the animations, movements, models, textures, me aiming, me shooting, me switching weapons.... everything is fine except for when I try to move / run.

And as noted in my previous post, even when I am moving and all jittery, operating my weapon, panning my view and everything else is perfectly fine while I am moving.... it's just the movement itself.

It's as though my character is "Rubber-Banding" while he moves..... and even if my FPS was 2, it wouldn't be causing that.

If I was playing online with a crappy connection, I'd get the rubber banding effect.... but it's in Single Player where it is happening and my internet connection is perfectly fine for online.

So I'm stumped on what's causing this problem for me. I went through both SP Campaigns just fine before the last patch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I also noticed last night a few posts in the Steam Forums from members complaining about the SP Campaign doing similar things:

Unstable SP after GOTY patch
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2720410

...... Same here. I played through the german campaign already when the achievements didn't work for it, and almost finished the russian campaign, so I'd like to play them through again sometime to get the achievements, but this makes it literally unplayable. Multiplayer works fine.

Singleplayer is like as if the game wanted to work on two speed settings at the same time - speeding up, then step into the brake, and it keeps doing this for a while.....

There was another thread but I can't find it at the moment. Most in the above thread are complaining about unstable FPS, but for me my FPS are stable and everything is fine.... it's just the above that's happening where it seems my character is "Stopping / Going" all the time when I move.

Upvote 0
As one more update, over the weekend I tried playing a console loaded match using the:

open te-apartments?maxplayer=32?minplayer=32?difficulty=0

command, and the same thing occurred as in the single player campaign in regards to movement.

Again, MP is perfectly fine (though I have also come across a number of other issues since the patch, but I think most of those have been noted by other members in other threads in here) it's just occurring in the offline/sp playing.

Upvote 0
I hope TW still reads the bug forum as it's been quiet from their part for a while now.
In the final beta stages, the game ran very smooth for me. But since the GOTY patch went live, I do have increased FPS, but the game stutters and doesn't play as smooth as the Beta. There are also more bugs reintroduced that were fixed in the beta. I really hope they adress this as I don't play as often as during the beta because of this!

Cheers

Upvote 0
Add me to the list of people with SP problems:

Since release til pre-Classic update the SP was fine (It used to run smoother than MP), now it stutters like hell (every 5 seconds)!

ps.: It only stutters when I walk/run, if I stand still it stay normal even while moving my mouse and looking/shooting around.

:(

Silly question, you have defragged the files after downloading them right? That may account for the sluggishness in the first few minutes of the game, then smoother afterwards...

My PC is defragged but where is the steam defrag option for RO2?
It's working fine for other games.
Perhaps there is no cache fragmentation for games using the new steam file system...

--------------------------------------------------

AMD 64 X2 4200+ (2200 MHz)
Sapphire HD 5750 Vapor-X
4x Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400 (1 GB DDR2-800)
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 (1 TB)
Asus M2N-E SLI
C-Media CM6501 Onboard Audio
Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

pss.: I know that my PC is lame but the game is working fine on MP with everything on High, the problem is SP Campaign only!

Last edited:
Upvote 0