• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[ Question ] Change the name of a weapon

DerET

Aug 27, 2011
I downloaded some Russian Weapons (PKM, VAL, VSS) but in Killing Floor they are shown as "~~~" so I think the Russian letters are missing and replaced by "~".
How can I change the name of a weapon?

(My Russian is not good enough to ask there and it would be nice if you could explain it in simple English, because my English isn't either.)

Greetings, DerET.

Edit: I found the source code and will try to change it now.

Last edited:
Simplest thing will be to make a mutator to replace all the names in that one file. There is no point recompiling all of them files just for that.

hmm be carefull though...some files reference the pickupclass of the original mutator eg :

BlaAssaultRifle
PickupClass=Class'BlaAssaultRifleMut.BlaAssaultRiflePickup'

so if you extend only the pickupclass, the original gun class still references the original mutators pickupclass....mixing them up and youll end up with a gun thats 600 in the shops but actually costs 4000.

just a little warning in advance :)

Upvote 0
It's only the weapon names that are in Cyrillic that by default the unreal engine can't display.

A mutator like;

class MutRUSWeapNames extends Mutator;

simulated function PostBeginPlay()
{

//Weap1
class'Weap1'.default.ItemName = "ENGWeap1";
class'Weap1Pickup'.default.ItemName = "ENGWeap1";
class'Weap1Pickup'.default.ItemShortName = "ENGWeap1";

//Weap2
class'Weap2'.default.ItemName = "ENGWeap2";
class'Weap2Pickup'.default.ItemName = "ENGWeap2";
class'Weap2Pickup'.default.ItemShortName = "ENGWeap2";

}

defaultproperties
{
bAddToServerPackages=True
GroupName="KF-RUSWeapNames"
FriendlyName="RUSSIAN Weapon Rename"
Description="Renames the Russian weapons into English. "

Role=ROLE_Authority
RemoteRole=ROLE_SimulatedProxy
bAlwaysRelevant=true
}

Bish bash bosh, job's done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In part this is done to change attitudes to Cyrillic in the digital world. Because now it looks like discrimination .... :(
And for the same reason, we will continue to upload files to Russian file-sharing sites. :cool:
I haveno problem with the text not being shown due to you being Russian as that is the purpose of what you made them originally for but the sites...depends on which ones as one gives me such a headache that it takes forever trying to click the Save as/Run before it changes the web page.

Upvote 0
Well... Russian file sharing sites are great and Russian modders do good work, but as KF is not able to show those letters we Europeans can not really use their files.
we don't europeans... yes of course. :mad:

I haveno problem with the text not being shown due to you being Russian as that is the purpose of what you made them originally for but the sites...depends on which ones as one gives me such a headache that it takes forever trying to click the Save as/Run before it changes the web page.

Try to use other browsers. Or turn off ad blocking.

Upvote 0
There was no implication of discrimination, someone was just pointing out that due to your weapons using Cyrillic characters that most Europeans who only have a Roman Alphabet installed can't see the names. Thus the game displays all weapons names as "~~~~~~". I don't think anyone here is suggesting you should use the Roman alphabet.

And as language packs are not free (at least on anything under ultimate on win7) Someone was just doing a work around.

Upvote 0