• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ummm....you should play the RO Classic beta

I can't try it out right now. My computer doesn't work atm. Hopefully I will be able to fix it. :(

I do wonder....how much more slowpaced is classic compared to ro2? Is the lockdown timer still there? Is it possible to spawn at the squad leader? Is it possible to use ninja bandaging? I reckon all upgrades is removed along with unlocks? One of the most off-putting things that really made me put ro2 on the shelf was the incredible fast paced gameplay (AND if the server was full it became a total kill, die, respawn fest) and the fact that there was unlocks and skillpoints.

Still, I can't believe people who say its almost perfect.... because that would mean its like playing a spiritual sequel to ro ost. A game that was improved upon the first. :eek:

EDIT: Is there any particular changes that really improves the experience in ro classic beta? What may be missing?
Im really curious!!!!111oneone

Last edited:
Reactions: I. Kant
Upvote 0
Today I played the Beta on Classic mode. HOLY **** ITS GREAT!!!! So much fun and the feeling of the game is perfect! Even I saw Mr. Moe in the server :p The only problem was some hacker or it was the AI I dunno. Every time I show 1 inch of my head out of the wall/house/the cover and there is a tank I am instant dead. This just can't be regular player. How on earth he saw me for less than 1 second god dammit!?

Upvote 0
Today I played the Beta on Classic mode. HOLY **** ITS GREAT!!!! So much fun and the feeling of the game is perfect! Even I saw Mr. Moe in the server :p The only problem was some hacker or it was the AI I dunno. Every time I show 1 inch of my head out of the wall/house/the cover and there is a tank I am instant dead. This just can't be regular player. How on earth he saw me for less than 1 second god dammit!?

The AI machine gunner from a tank is a bit overpowered atm. But the game is great, I've played more of the beta past days than I've played the normal game since its release.

Upvote 0
I do wonder....how much more slowpaced is classic compared to ro2? Is the lockdown timer still there? Is it possible to spawn at the squad leader? Is it possible to use ninja bandaging? I reckon all upgrades is removed along with unlocks? One of the most off-putting things that really made me put ro2 on the shelf was the incredible fast paced gameplay (AND if the server was full it became a total kill, die, respawn fest) and the fact that there was unlocks and skillpoints.

Still, I can't believe people who say its almost perfect.... because that would mean its like playing a spiritual sequel to ro ost. A game that was improved upon the first. :eek:

EDIT: Is there any particular changes that really improves the experience in ro classic beta? What may be missing?
Im really curious!!!!111oneone

This info is available: The features you wonder about are all specifically mentioned in beta notes here:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=76827
and the rest here:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123

in brief:

• Lockdown, not in Classic, but in other modes it is now with no visible timer until it is "triggered," so it works very differently with much more leniency on attacking teams who are at least trying.
  • SL spawn, NO.
  • Bandaging, NO.
  • You can earn xp for progress in the other modes, but in classic mode weapons are at a set level; you cannot access upgrades and unlocks other than total weapon unlocks like Mkb and AVT.
  • As for the resultant pace, it is slower; in fact often on attack defend maps, attackers are losing on round time ironically because they took too much time on the early objectives with no lockdown timer breathing down their necks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Past couple nights I have played ROClassic have been great. It really does feel similar to RO1 Gameplay with the addition of RO2 refinements(Mantling, etc). It still needs some more refinement(TWI already stated it is still a WIP) but it is a good step in the "Right" direction.

Deployed machine gunners are now a thing to fear and not just another easy target, Rambo MG is less effective do to the slower movement and weight penalty of running with the MG. SMGs are still deadly however rifleman now has his place in mid to long range fights. Also suppression has much more effect on your enemy. It results in less incidents of Hose a rifleman with lead and have him do a 180/nail you in the face. Facing a deployed machine gun is now very risky unless you flank or see him first.

+1 good

Upvote 0
I played a few rounds last night and was very impressed. For the record i was fairly happy with RO2 in its current state and managed to have regular long and enjoyable play sessions on the Aussie servers. There were a lot of annoyances that cropped up though (mainly the shoot a guy and he turns and kills you then runs off to bandage variety). This mode seemed so much more tactical and methodical and teamwork was (thankfully) forced upon us. Countdown on Mamayev with an organically developed team-based defence was a joy and the desperate moments trying to get out of a LMG's field of fire was a fun new thrill. Also as an Aussie i joined up with a ping of ~300 just wanting to try the stamina and IS mechanics and found that i actually could play an effective match even at that ping, something that has never happened in standard RO2, even made 170m+ perp. running bolt kill which i was quite happy with considering ping and the lack of zoom (something i was initially skeptical of but really enjoyed!). Thanks TWI, i enjoyed your game before but i can see myself getting obsessed with the variety of modes on offer, something for every mood!

Upvote 0
lastman said:
The first hours I had almost no chance. Each time I come close to a capzone I got killed, mostly by a headshot. I made the same movements as in RO1, along housewalls, from object to object (e.g tree, bush, ...), using shadows to be no lamp in the moon/sun. No chance, seems that snipers were around with wrong weapons. It must be the zoom-in feature for every weapon, that obviously stimulated a lot of discussions here in the last month.
In vanilla you could shoot a man up to 300 meters and sometimes even above (provided the map was long enough and no obstacles blocked your view), now longest shoots are around 100-150 using IS which seems to be pretty reasonable when combined with other changes (slower sprint, less stamina, more sway, no shift-zoom, non-instant ADS after sprinting and so on). What distance wouldn't be considered sniping and not CQC?

When I first came to RO2 I had no idea what killed me, so my first goal was to stay alive, use smart movement, pay attention to my surrounding and generally use of tactics. This is no different in classic - you need to use tactics EVEN MORE here, because the defenders has many advantages and it is much easier to shoot running people. The attackers seem to know it and play as a squads a lot more (or it's the Old Guard that plays classics and they stick to other players in game, not sure). Now being a lone wolf is not as good as being a part of the team. Due to the shift-zoom removal and other changes different weapons are now showing their edge; while rifles still can dominate medium-long range, MG is now a weapon to be feared, sniper with the scope can pick up enemy shooters and high value targets (like said MG'ers) without the fear of being killed by IS users as easily as it occured in vanilla.

Most of the people who played RO1 and then vanilla RO2 seems to agree that classic plays great and I have to admit that effect for the gameplay is unexpectedly good and I enjoy classic version more than vanilla, even though I was defending the realism part.

You can give your feedback for the classic here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
there's even more zoom and less sway in the non-classic modes. i think it was put in to give the players the ability to detect and engage enemies at realistic ranges, but it collided with the rather "small" maps . i think getting rid of the excess zoom was a good compromise. in realism mode shooting a stationary target at 200 meters usually took me one to three shots with a bolt action rifle, in classic it's more like 4-6 if i'm lucky.
i wouldn't like it if the zoom was removed completely, especially for bolt action, because then all firefights beyond 100 meters would become too much of a gamble.
just hang in there and familiarize yourself with the maps, then you'll have an easier time avoiding popular enemy lines of fire. imo that was the hardest part of vanilla ro2, once i knew good routes to objectives i started playing more successful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0