• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

my ultimate rant

tixhal

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2011
Neuschwabenland
parental advisory: explicit lyrics
Spoiler!

i didn't mean to offend anybody with this post, i just wanted to summarize my view on pc gaming in general, the sad path the customers have chosen for it and to vent a little.

cheers, tixhal

hope to see you on the battlefields of stalingrad!

Reactions: Nylle
We are writing the year 2012 and user tixhal just figured out that PC-gaming is on the decline. Better late than never, I would say and I am not meaning to offend you.

Thanks to the herds of fans that are willing to by iPhones and follow game series like CoD, people are willing to jump into a kind of jail that they actually don't want to be in anyways.

Since the last CoD I played (United Offensive that was), I hear the fans complaining about the lack of innovation. The same bunch of morons are always pre-ordering the next version of it, because "Hey, have you seen the graphics?". People crying about mappacks being too expensive often are the same ones that were complaining about lack of quality in Alpha-maps created by modders. Plus, of course they are willing to buy mappacks because their friends/clans are playing them.

Then EA figured out that with series like Fifa, it's profitable to actually just update the rosters and create 3-4 new animations this year, because soccer fans prefer to play with the latest squads. Another EUR 50 in their pockets. Going further, shutting down gameservers approx. 18 months after release will force (yes, force, because junkies are addicted) players to buy the Fifa (what is it? 24430?) the year after.

Name me one popular game that has not gone this way. Anno-series? Total War-series?

Arma 2 still offers the advantage of it's editor and it still keeps me opening the game once in a while.

Red Orchestra 2, while I hate how it turned out, because that's not what I thought it would be, still holds high potential. Unfortunately, I doubt the recovery in player numbers will happen.

Anyway, I bought my last gaming rig in July 2011. I will not buy another one. I have a PS 3 as well, but search for games that are 1-2 years old and dropped in prices. Not because I couldn't afford it, but because it's not worth it.

Luckily, I am married and have enough friends to play real soccer with, so I can laugh about those fat 13 year old kiddos, playing Fifa while never having kicked a ball in real-life. There is a life beyond gaming, as hard as this is to be believed by nerds playing World of Warcraft.

The glorious gaming times between 1997-2004 are gone. Rest In Peace!

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
Indie games, Amnesia was the most fun I've had in ages. But yeah, mass market it's much harder to find good, well less mass market targeted games. Problem with FPS is that they are mass market and so get pulled in the direction of the easier $$.

If RO:2 ever get it's classic mode out, there's one more player in, me. Got it at Xmas time just because, but haven't actually downloaded it and played it. Really busy and if I'm going to give it a go I want the classic mode. All I ever really wanted was RO with better engine and bug and quirk removal. Like your MG clipping into a wall that you setup on but without you knowing it so that it gets you killed when you shoot at that guy 10 feet away only to hit an invisable wall while watching your bullet holes accumulate and hang in mid air while he sticks his pointy thing up your backside. Now there's a sentence.

BTW, here's a depressing article on why some games don't get made period. Basically franchise, if they can't make a string of them, not worth it. Yep your FIFA, EA sports in general.
[url]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87255-Why-Activision-Ditched-Riddick[/URL]

"[The dropped games] don't have the potential to be exploited every year on every platform with clear sequel potential and have the potential to become $100 million dollar franchises," he said in Activision Blizzard's earnings call yesterday. "I think, generally, our strategy has been to focus... on the products that have those attributes and characteristics, the products that we know [that] if we release them today, we'll be working on them 10 years from now."

Kotick noted that while original IP development still figures into Activision's plans, only a small percentage of successful game releases over the past several years have been original titles. "You still need to have production of new original property but you have to do it very selectively," he said. "The focus at retail and for the consumer is to continue to be on the big narrow and deep high profile release strategy... We've had enough experience that I think the strategy we employ is the most successful."
"

Upvote 0

What a load of b******s.

This more than likely is to do with your age.

Back in the early 80's I was playing games like Back to School and American Werewolf in London on the Spectrum 48k and those games sucked me in.
Running around sucking blood out of random people.

The freedom you had running around a school shooting kids with catapults.

Incredible graphics Red, Yellow or Green from what I remember!!

There were the Atari Consoles with lovely wood veneer playing a whole variety of sports games, which all involved a little line and a dot moving backwards and forwards. onto a whole range of other consoles nintendos, mega drives, dream casts, saturns,playstations and xboxes the graphics constantly improving.

Then around what 94 Wolfenstein came out then Doom then Quake onwards and upwards the graphics improved the sounds were improving gone was the 2d platform games the were dead now we could move around in 3d, From my original sim city when incredibly poor detailed little houses that would emerge from little green squares with an R on to the modern 3d rendered cities in the latest titles. from strategy games like 1914-1918 where you too could replay WW1 with a variety of units to HOI3 where you can play any nation across the globe covering the entirety of WW2.

Games continue to get better they are designed on PC's not xboxes or playstations, The casual games will always be around but the PC is Formula 1 we will always get the first implementations of new technology some will stick others will die along the way, If its good the casual gamers the will get it in their stock titles.

I have seen games change year on year, and I can't wait to see whats coming, not every game suits me but every few years I am blown away by a game that goes above and beyond whats been done in the past.

Upvote 0

What a load of b******s.

This more than likely is to do with your age.

Dude, the timeframe I mentioned was the time where each single year had like 5-6 blockbuster games and many good games in-between. I started gaming from 1992 on and there were good games as well, but they were far off to really pull me in through atmosphere for example.

I don't doubt that everyone has another opionion about this, and right so, but for me, the last 7-8 years of gaming have become worse and worse. Nothing much that really sukks me in anymore.

Upvote 0
Ok, believe it or not, I never played them.
I should have written:

Name me one popular game that I PLAYED that has not gone this way.

Sorry :eek:

I'm sorry but you've got to be kidding. if not then this is an argument from ignorance. And just there are less games that immerse you, doesn't mean that it applies for everyone. When I visited my friend who has a xbox360 I played through Alan Wake alone and GOW 2 with my friend in coop and I was fully immersed in both games. quality and immersion is platform agnostic. And that in this day and age fewer pc titles come out in general is because:

1. game development costs have increased over the years.
2. game consoles have become more popular and more used, so taking some of the pc game market.

PS: I still remember vividly the first time I played the quake I demo on my first pc (Pentium 75 MHz, 14 inch CRT, Windows 95), I was 14 years old and I was amazed and horrified of the graphics and the sound (it was still software rendering). It was the first and only game, I had nightmares of. But there the voyage just started...it went on with Half-life, AvP, UT99, Day of defeat, Red Orchestra, silent hunter.

All the different game genres which are available on the PC keeps me there, but I like playing on a console also (before I had a PC I had a game boy in 1991). Its just that I like the freedom on the PC...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"PC gaming - dying since 1987."

For anyone in any doubt at all that PC gaming isn't stronger now than it's ever been before clearly hasn't taken the effort to peruse the indie developer scene - of which TWI is one BTW, so anyone reading this already has a leg-up on the PC proletariat. Well done you. :)

No developer is immune to producing a dud; arguably RO2 is one such release. The difference between an indie developer and a AAA publisher is that the indie devs are more likely to try and fix the dud post-release whereas the AAA publisher is almost certainly going to withhold any further funding and bury the title (and probably the dev house with it) as fast as possible, writing it off as a bad lot and thus further cementing their mentality that only the 'safe' (cf. unoriginal) titles are worth the investment.

I've been a PC gamer since 1985 (80386) and I can tell you now that the PC gaming scene has never been more vibrant than it is today. Yes, you have to wade through more chaff to get to the wheat but your shopping around effort is often richly rewarded.

Reactions: Siechtum
Upvote 0
Hello all

It does *feel* like PC games are becoming more mainstream(?) and are dumbed down console clones.

This may or may not be correct, but it *feels* that way to me.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast playing BF3 (until the cheaters became so obvious and trolled the game/forums.) and do appreciate my fluff entertainment games (BF3 getting about as fluffy as I can handle)

But, it does feel like M.O.W and OFP, Rainbow six (the original) style games with depth and tactics are becoming less and less of the norm for the PC as time goes by apart for the stalwart "strategy" games like Civ and it's 4x clones etc.

To choose another genre look at the latest JANES flight sim. Really? JANES endorsed arcade game?, my how standards have slipped. If they sponsored IL2 for eg then I wouldn't mind.

Opps! I've started ranting. apologies.

My point being it does *feel* to this ageing gamer that the world of PC gaming is being dumbed down to appeal (or easily port to) the console world.

One key for multiple uses anyone?

That again might be my age and changing tastes, but then again I still play Lords of Midnight.

I want a big box and a novel sized manual like the old days.

Now, where's my coco and slippers?

rgds

LoK

Upvote 0
1. game development costs have increased over the years.
2. game consoles have become more popular and more used, so taking some of the pc game market.

1.ONLY because developers INSIST on better graphics on every game they make.

2. ONLY because multiplatforming is almost as bad cancer on PC gaming as F2P-titles.

Want a good PC game that's great value for money? Wargame: European Escalation. Eugen's previous game, RUSE, also came for consoles which led it to being ugly, crude and overly simple and boring. W:EE however is PC-exclusive... and guess what? It's better looking, MUCH deeper gameplay and very exciting. I haven't put much hours into it yet, but I will. Because it's a great game.

TL;DR stop buying ****ty games and stop supporting ****ty companies and go play Wargame.

Upvote 0
The sad truth of it all is, while RO2 HoS is not at all the game I wanted or expected it to be, the game as it is now has a huge potential to be great.

My friends, my clan mates and my re-enactors club are all waiting for this promised Classic mode. If it is up to par, it will get promoted by users like us on Facebook, steam and some WWII popular forums.

If TWI is in need of funds, I would encourage them to actually go the downloadable content route, whereas players are able to un-lock vehicles (beyond what was already promised to us) and additional maps. Yeah, it is a ****ty way to get players to fork over more money, but a great way to keep RO alive and running.

As for the lack of BETA testers, I know a lot of people who are waiting to only beta test the Classic mode. I’ve gone in a few times in the beta as it is now, it is better than the current build of the game… other than that, I still want classic mode. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0