Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > RO2/RS Beta Testing > RO2/RS Beta Testing > General

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.  
Old 04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Anti-Matter Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy.Death View Post
Wouldn't that be an overkill in the light of the current patch? If I understood changelog correctly we won't be able to use shift to stabilize aim under suppression which will also make aimind difficult, in addition we have some amount sway and no shift-zoom already and further changes linked to stamina bar. It'd be more prudent to ask for changes after patch goes live and we'll know what we have to deal with.

Asking for removal of zoom altogether without considering past and current changes is criticism out of the blue and can result badly. I'll also remind that we had many polls regarding zoom topic and people were heavily divided on the matter.

It's not that simple that removing zoom will be panaceum for everything.
It would be handy if you quote my entire post . I know and stated that zoom will never be removed.

So since the high amount (~2x magnification) of zoom won't go away, the other option for people that have issues with high zoom is to try and minimize those issues, 2 of those issues can easily be solved.

- One issue is that to be able to zoom you need to come to a full stop before you can look at the same size as when standing still. (which could be allevated by making people able to see at a realistic size at all times)
- Another issue is that a high zoom and low fov makes it more difficult to use ironsights at close quarter combat as you have a sort of tunnel vision. For the latter issue TWI added the option to disable the default ironsight zoom in the configuration files, so you only zoom when you want to.

However logically without any zoom you cannot compete at range with other players, so that is where previously the shift zoom came in. You use no zoom by default, and then for long range you would press the shift zoom.

In order to reduce the max amount of zoom, tripwire is often now removing the additional shift zoom. I'm a big supporter of the reducing of the max zoom you can obtain in the game, and it does show positive effects in the game play. However by removing the shift zoom, the users that have the ironsight zoom disabled now cannot get any zoom at all.

Which is why people have been asking that instead of removing the shift zoom, to make it to the same level as for instance the ironsight zoom. If you then have the ironsight zoom enabled you wouldn't see any change. However if you had ironsight zoom disabled you would be able to zoom to the same level as everybody else.

Last edited by Zetsumei; 04-27-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Zoom seems strange to me without ARMA style free look, but as that would take probably 6 months+ to code and new modeling, I'm content with what we do have.

The Hipster melted his barrel, because he fired the Machine Gun before it was cool.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:39 AM

Great looking patch. I am quite certain I would like to see practically the whole change list go in as it is.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossius View Post
Zoom seems strange to me without ARMA style free look, but as that would take probably 6 months+ to code and new modeling, I'm content with what we do have.
Or a simpler way : we can just take it off.

Especially because RO2 has a lot of small maps, and sometimes I feel like I'm a sniper with a normal rifle.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:13 AM

Some people have to crutch on zoom and perfectly stable weapons/virtually no recoil. It was never a problem in RO1 imo, in fact people didn't want zoom at that time from my experience, not even TWI. It was a feature of the game to not have zoom

Anyway I accept though at this point we're going to have zoom. Getting knocked out of zoom while suppressed seems like a nice touch.

A choice of Manual or auto zooming would be good like Zets has been campaigning for, but it should be the same zoom as auto if its manual

Last edited by melipone; 04-27-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsumei
It would be handy if you quote my entire post . I know and stated that zoom will never be removed.
I know, I was simply stating that removal or lowering zoom now is baseless as we don't know how changes has affected the game in the patch we speak of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsumei
Which is why people have been asking that instead of removing the shift zoom, to make it to the same level as for instance the ironsight zoom. If you then have the ironsight zoom enabled you wouldn't see any change. However if you had ironsight zoom disabled you would be able to zoom to the same level as everybody else.
I am supporting making zoom choseable myself as it'd help in CQC greatly where IS zoom isn't really needed. I agree with you here.

P.S. Looks like patch is out, downloading right now.

Last edited by Holy.Death; 04-27-2012 at 10:47 AM.
  This is the last developer post in this thread.   #47  
Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake

Update is out, patch notes are final.

Pretty, what do we blow up first? - Myn Donos
Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM

My reaction when i read the changelogs.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Last edited by MeFirst; 04-27-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiro View Post
Whoopie!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Pure awesome sauce! Hopefully we can fill a server later this aft.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Awesomesauce, can't wait to get my hands on the more accurate MGs :-D MGs we're meant to be fearsome beasts when deployd, not being used for one burst then taken out by a rifleman in plain view.
This space was intentionally left empty. Well. Almost anyways.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 PM

Looks good - updating now
Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 PM

game just got 10000000000x better i love the suppression!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Gameplay
    • Bullet hitting player sounds are no longer exaggerated.

That's all I wanted to hear.
Well, almost all.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM

This patch take me by surprise, i always think that TWI wasn't really adept of an increased suppression system. This classic mode in really becoming good. I hope we will have people to play it with us.

For the zoom thing, people already voted on poll: it's fine at is it now.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the awesome sounding update guys!

Any ETA on when we get to test MP Campaign yet? :P
Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Cannot connect to RO Classic server. The game crash. I can only play on Realism mode server, which definitely sux.

The server classic I find on steam is 109.70.149.99:7777. But I can't find it in the RO2 browser.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:16 PM

This is to let people test the realism mode. Before the update the server was classic, now it's time to test realism.
I won't be doing lots of that testing though, as I get frustrated playing the realism mode (Several occasions of hitting a guy in window in upper torso/head area from close range with a rifle and yet he is able to pop up again and shoot me with his smg, really puts me off... I've never seen this situation in classic).

But:
MG behaves way better.
Suppresion improved lots! I just miss the sonic cracks...pls where are they?
These two combined adds a new way of dealing with an enemy attack.
Performance seems better to, at least for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywarrior View Post
Oooh I really like some of these changes -- especially that people can't zoom or hold their breath to focus while being suppressed ... it makes both realistic/practical and gameplay sense. Nice list of changes overall! I'll definitely hop on the server to test it out, assuming others will join me. That's been the main reason I haven't been playing RO Classic is lack of beta players.

Can we expect the update today?

Samesies on that change update, its bloody brilliant. Cant wait for that one to filter down into the regular game as it alone should have a decent effect on the workability of RNG.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Bullet hitting player sounds are no longer exaggerated
Woot! Nice list of changes. Can't wait til this stuff is officially out of beta.