• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Running RO 2 on Windows 8

Razvanss

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2011
Well,I just instaled Windows 8 Beta on my computer and then instaled RO2,everything ok with the drivers and stuff,entered the game and guess what..a complete DIZASTER,in my lucky moments I reached a medium fps of 4-18 and on the empty servers 40 fps but not stable.Not accusing or something,the game is not made for this windows but I'm just saiyng so you know if you want to play RO2 on Windows 8.Now I will try another game to see how it runs and comeback with an edit.

Hmmmm I thought Win was only a consumer preview....

Way too early to consider for gaming. IMHO

Yip.

It runs like a bag of nails as is. Never mind for gaming.

Waaaaaay too early to even test it for out of the norm stuff.

( I dont like it at all. Made for the facebook generation on tablets. First thing I did was turn off Metro, hence making it a badly running windows 7 )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It has his own drivers,i've just updated them.

I think that'd be the culprit - they could be MS drivers at the moment, too. I'd say the fact that it's running at this early stage, is a pretty good sign :) I wouldn't even dream of ditching my W7 Pro for XP or Vista - it's damn sweet for gaming in my experience, and I have few problems even with ancient games. 7 improved hugely on Vista in most ways - I personally think 8 will be more of the same.

Upvote 0
Well,I just instaled Windows 8 Beta on my computer...

Well theres your problem right there ;)

Just pulling your leg man, I'm with the other guys here, its a bit early to seriously test anything, imho.
As far as Win8 itself is concerned bosshogg pretty much summed up my opinion, its just too "tablety" for me to ever get along with, that start button alone is just unholy. I think ill stick with 7 until they force me to upgrade.

Upvote 0
I really hope you didn't install it as your primary OS with how early a stage it's in.

And given the rule of skipping every other generation of Windows, I think I'll just end up waiting for Win9 to fix what they break in 8. Also, I'm so not a fan of all of the changes they've made to appeal to the tablet/touch monitor owners out there.

Seriously, nobody owns a monitor that you can touch and interact with... I don't need it forced on me in my desktop experience.

Upvote 0
I really hope you didn't install it as your primary OS with how early a stage it's in.

And given the rule of skipping every other generation of Windows, I think I'll just end up waiting for Win9 to fix what they break in 8. Also, I'm so not a fan of all of the changes they've made to appeal to the tablet/touch monitor owners out there.

Seriously, nobody owns a monitor that you can touch and interact with... I don't need it forced on me in my desktop experience.

Exactly. At the moment I cant see it benefiting the "normal" user. ( is the normal user on a tablet now anyway?..I hope not )
I can see the path they are taking. Trying to compete with iOS.
On a plus note some of the small things are done in good detail, like the new task manager. Granted I have only "played" with it for a few hours. I also like some of the new ideas surrounding enterprise deployment. But again - why? , cant see enterprise dropping W7 for it.

I will try the proper beta / RC when they come along and hope the performance has improved at least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

You are very right,I think this is going to be a big fail like windows Vista,when they will realise that they will build windows 9...and fast:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

It isn't forced on you - desktop is available, and in the final release you'll have some kind of "look just give me desktop only, EVER" setting. MS know just as well as you, and everyone else, that touch-screens haven't taken off on PC's. Windows 7 already has lots of touchscreen functionality - it has never once caused me a problem.

Far too many W8 tin foil hats being worn in this thread, and indeed around the interwebs :) If you haven't tried the preview release, you should at least watch presentations or demos to see just how "normal" Windows 8 can be. At least wait until it's released before you start decrying it a failure - they'll be collecting feedback from the preview as well, and there is no release date as yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It isn't forced on you - desktop is available, and in the final release you'll have some kind of "look just give me desktop only, EVER" setting. MS know just as well as you, and everyone else, that touch-screens haven't taken off on PC's. Windows 7 already has lots of touchscreen functionality - it has never once caused me a problem.

Far too many W8 tin foil hats being worn in this thread, and indeed around the interwebs :) If you haven't tried the preview release, you should at least watch presentations or demos to see just how "normal" Windows 8 can be. At least wait until it's released before you start decrying it a failure - they'll be collecting feedback from the preview as well, and there is no release date as yet.
Then there is zero point in getting Windows 8 unless you are REALLY hard pressed for native OS ISO mounting or a redesigned Task Manager. Because their major selling point for 8 is the Metro UI.

If I wanted "normal" Windows in Windows 8, I'd save myself the cash and just stick with Windows 7.

Upvote 0
Then there is zero point in getting Windows 8 unless you are REALLY hard pressed for native OS ISO mounting or a redesigned Task Manager. Because their major selling point for 8 is the Metro UI.

If I wanted "normal" Windows in Windows 8, I'd save myself the cash and just stick with Windows 7.

Agreed on the tech points and agreed on why waste the cash points.

Upvote 0

If you read the "Building Windows 8" blog, there are many more useful features aside from Metro UI. They've made huge improvements "under the hood" to improve responsiveness and performance, which are my main gripes with the Windows 7 right now.

People said Windows 7 was totally unnecessary too, but in the end everybody jumped aboard because it's overall a much better experience.

It has his own drivers,i've just updated them.

You shouldn't use the drivers that came with the Windows. Get your latest chipset and graphics drivers ASAP, Windows 7 drivers should work without a problem. Also, don't forget to install DirectX 9 runtimes as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First Rule for every User: Never change a runnin system.
Switching from the fast and stable Win7, that runs very well for gamers,
to a new Win8 beta, were you could not expect driver support now,
totally breaks this rule.

Would more people not just own a PC, then also understand their PC,
no one would need such girlie PCs with down syndrome like XBOX and PS3.
I

Upvote 0