• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Darkness II

I don't know. I played the demo last night, and thought it was meh

Same here. The demo left almost no impression on me at all. The only things that stood out were negative things like the super tunnel vision fov and the old fashioned feel of the the way it played and looked.

Judging from various comments the game sounds a lot better than the experience the demo offered.

Upvote 0
I dont know what the full game is like but what have they done to the Darkness? It was a grimdark modern fairy tale, a game I loved on the console, I was not expecting to be any good after I saw that Starbreeze was not doing to but still did it have to done like this?
:(
The Darkness 1 was based on a comic. The graphics in Darkness 2 are awesome and the art style fits perfectly, but that's just my opinion.

Upvote 0
I loved the first one for its story and characters, but the gameplay was bleh.

This is a MASSIVE leap in gameplay. Hell, I found myself initially thinking with the PC controls "man, what kind of retarded mapping is this?" and not even a minute later found myself fluently ripping people to shreds left and right with no problems or slowdowns.

As long as they don't **** with the story or characters, I'm fine. The only disappointment is the different Jackie VA.

Probably going to be a severely well received but earn little sales.

Upvote 0
The Darkness 1 was based on a comic. The graphics in Darkness 2 are awesome and the art style fits perfectly, but that's just my opinion.
See, I thought you was gonna do that so I took a screenshot of something horrifying:
2012012500001l.jpg

GAH!

I do know that the Darkness is a comic, IMO Starbreeze did a great job by straying away from the source material, during the demo I kill some guys which I do in alot of other games, the gameplay felt like a Spiderman on the PS2 and I did not feel the dread that in Darkness 1 with a grim yet exciting intro...

Reactions: fOgGy
Upvote 0
See, I thought you was gonna do that so I took a screenshot of something horrifying:
2012012500001l.jpg

GAH!

I do know that the Darkness is a comic, IMO Starbreeze did a great job by straying away from the source material, during the demo I kill some guys which I do in alot of other games, the gameplay felt like a Spiderman on the PS2 and I did not feel the dread that in Darkness 1 with a grim yet exciting intro...

But there isn't supposed to BE dread except for the Brotherhood getting what they want.

The dread is over. Now you're just living through hell. I mean, Jackie really doesn't have anything else to live for really.

Upvote 0

GAH!

1694.jpg

No point discussing this. This game seems to divide the minds. Many like it, some dislike, quite a lot would probably like the full game from what I keep reading in previews but are put off by the action/script-focus of the demo(which is put together in a way you won't encounter it in the full game)

But exactly that scene from the picture in particular was awesome because it literally started things off with a big bang / a nice WTF moment. The Darkness 1, besides the superb storytelling and awesome atmosphere was also very much about those wtf moments. How Jenny was shot infront of your eyes and you then commit suicide infront of a mirror? I was like WTF IS HAPPENING and rewatched it 3 times on youtube afterwards lol.(Not because i was like omg lulz brainz everywhere but because it came so unexpected and had such an impact) Same with you then suddenly waking up in ww1. I was like WTF is this now why am I in WW1. Same when I realized all the soldiers were either zombies or cursed and had their faces consisting of picked together skin scraps. Or that one soldier in the trenches who kept telling his story and in the end commited suicide full-metal-jacket style, but everytime you came back he was alive again due to the curse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But there isn't supposed to BE dread except for the Brotherhood getting what they want.

The dread is over. Now you're just living through hell. I mean, Jackie really doesn't have anything else to live for really.
I mean like when you are on the run from those Hitmen at the start, when Pauli blows you up, when the Darkness first comes and at pretty every key moment there was sense of dread which made the game unquie. The tone of the game feels more like Borderlands than Condemned...

But exactly that scene from the picture in particular was awesome because it literally started things off with a big bang / a nice WTF moment. The Darkness 1, besides the superb storytelling and awesome atmosphere was also very much about those wtf moments. How Jenny was shot infront of your eyes and you then commit suicide infront of a mirror? I was like WTF IS HAPPENING and rewatched it 3 times on youtube afterwards lol.(Not because i was like omg lulz brainz everywhere but because it came so unexpected and had such an impact) Same with you then suddenly waking up in ww1. I was like WTF is this now why am I in WW1. Same when I realized all the soldiers were either zombies or cursed and had their faces consisting of picked together skin scraps. Or that one soldier in the trenches who kept telling his story and in the end commited suicide full-metal-jacket style, but everytime you came back he was alive again due to the curse.
Because of pacing and build up to that stuff in Darkness 1, a stripper who I have never met in a mob joint get her head blown off is not thrilling. Like here is an example; in Jurassic Park the opening scene is filled with tension, dread and wonder drawing us in whilst the open scene of The Lost World is a camera panning down whilst a child get bitten by tiny dinosaurs which I feel nothing other...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just finished the game (in 5,4h). Epic ending! Of course it's a bit of a cliffhanger(well not really, but it does leave room for a 3rd installment) and it was kinda predictable, but still so awesome! I laughed for two minutes.

Game was fun, but short. However it felt exactly right, if it was longer it would've probably started to annoy. Gonna check the Vendettas next to squeeze some more value out of this.

Upvote 0