• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Terrain has a rogue shadow

For some reason, my terrain has got a rogue shadow or something going on (see below). I did have a long gulley cut but decided to remove it, but the shadows that were on it seem to remain :confused:

Event after a full build they remain.

terrain_dodgy_shadow.jpg

Any idea how I can sort that out?

There's some kind of error in the lightmaps. I had something similar going on. Not sure how I solved it, but try this: double-click your terrain, change the static lighting res from 4 to 8 then back to 4, then rebuild the lighting.

My static lighting res is on 2 and when I tried to change it, it went straight back to 2. However, it worked and that shadow has now gone :)

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0
Occasionally I get weird lighting artifacts like that. On Ogledow a couple of times there were huge shadowed squares that were all shadowed, and others that were lit perfectly. I couldn't figure out ho to fix it, then accidentally deleted the terrain while working on something else, then hit Undo (so the terrain was back in place) and build the lighting and it was okay, then the next time it was off again. Another time I discovered that it was a special normal map that I had set up for the terrain that was causing this too.

Upvote 0
Occasionally I get weird lighting artifacts like that. On Ogledow a couple of times there were huge shadowed squares that were all shadowed, and others that were lit perfectly.

That's exactly what my terrain is now doing :(

I couldn't figure out ho to fix it, then accidentally deleted the terrain while working on something else, then hit Undo (so the terrain was back in place) and build the lighting and it was okay, then the next time it was off again.

Tried that and still the same..............to coin a BlackAdder phrase "I think the phrase ryhmes with clucking bell"

Ooooh Pooh! Don't really want to continue with map until I can resolve this...
borked-terrain.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the worst case you recreate a new terrain.

But there's absolutely no reason to think it wont happen again. Ive been googling for a couple of hours but can't find anything on this issue.

I'm just wondering If I am starting to push the limit of number of materials/decal layers used or something, but AFAIK, you know that when your terrain goes rainbow coloured. Might be worth me removing a few layers just to see. Will try it when I get back from work.

Upvote 0
Since when did I say I am giving up.

Here:

Don't really want to continue with map until I can resolve this...

I'm not sure what causes it, but since I fixed my terrain normal maps, the problem hasn't occurred again. It probably will, but I'll deal with it then if it does.

Upvote 0
Did you try what I first suggested?

Yes indeedy, but it had no effect.

I did just try removing one of my terrain layer materials and that fixed the issue right away, but upon building my map I get the following error:
Code:
Terrain: Invalid MaterialIndex  5 - FF-VolkhovskyForestA1.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.Terrain_1!

I tried deleting it directly from the terrain editor layers UI thingy and also from the terrain properties, but the error remains.

Is there some "correct" way to delete a terrain layer material or should what I did work? Is that error something to be worried about?

Thanks

Upvote 0