Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS News and Announcements > News and Announcements

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.  
  Click here to go to the next developer post in this thread.   #1  
Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM
In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake

Default What we are up to - Refinements Part 2

Welcome back to part 2 of the "What we are up to - Refinement" series, and make sure you check out part one (here). Today we will be continuing to discuss some of the major upcoming changes to Red Orchestra 2, including selectable upgrades, key bindings, the scoreboard and the server browser. As always, keep in mind this is a WIP and subject to change at any time during the normal course of development.

Starting with one of the top requested items from the community: being able to select what level of weapon they go into battle with from the upgrades they have unlocked. The design for this system isn't fully finalized yet, but our early prototype consists of a toggle next to an available weapon on the class selection scrren that will allow the player to click between his unlocks.

Another top request has focused around key binds. Both the ability to separate binds out from the Interaction Key binding (Any Key) into separate keys if the user wishes. Also be made available on the binds list will be functionality for both toggle and un-toggle of prone, crouch and iron sights. With this change players will be able to more comfortably set their control scheme without having to play around with .ini files and scripts.

We are also making the scoreboard less cluttered with information and easier to use by both taking away and adding to it. What this means to the user is when he looks at the scoreboard, the only highlighted name he will see is his own. Players have also reported that in some cases depending on the players score, the player count of the server, and the players resolution, they might not show on the scoreboard before it is cut off. So additional functionality is being added so that the player will always show as the last line on the scoreboard if he falls below that cutoff.

The final item on today's refinement list is changes coming to the server browser. Players have made clear that they way to easily separate bots from live human players when selecting where they want to play. So what we are looking to do is add another number next to the player count to show the current amount. This will look something along the lines of Players/Server Size/ (Bot Number). In addition to that we are overhauling the information presented to the player in the lower left server info box to make sure it is both correct and useful to the player.

Now we have a few more refinements to talk about next time as we gear up for the re-opening of the RO 2 beta. In part 3 we will be covering refinements to the Squad Leader Spawn, Squad and Tank UI, Peripheral Indicators, and Enemy spotted systems.

Pretty, what do we blow up first? - Myn Donos
Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM

nice but you (here) link is not there you need to check that again
Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 PM

Can we have a listen server setup tab in the multiplayer screen? This would be huge for LAN gamers. Great update as usual.

Fafnir_6
Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 PM

Sound awesome

By Dibbler & Team

Support the IOM - Join unranked IOM servers - Join the IOM group
Signature:©Kleist productions
Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Anti-Matter Games

yai IS on hold FTW :'), No more grabbing up weapons when wanting to cover

Last edited by Zetsumei; 02-17-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 PM

An option for sprint as a toggle would be great also.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Cool!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Omg this can't be....... It's scary how much you guys are listening to us. It almost makes me worry that maybe you are running out of important things to improved told by us.

You are like completely remaking the game..

Yoshiro It would not be a bad idea for you to keep a summary list over things that are changed. I find it highly likely that you will find it useful in the future. (Yes I meant a personal list.)
Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Though it has taken a very long time, it's good to finally see some big issues being addressed. Keep up the flow of info!

A Dedicated RO Veteran since 2003
Check out my RO videos! RED ORCHESTRA: Overture to War - YouTube
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM
One Man Ostfront Band

Some good things on the lists. I really can't wait for part three of these Refinement threads though as Squad/User UI will be a huge factor for better team relay and communications. It is much needed.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 PM

Selectable upgrades!!!! Finally

Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiro View Post
in part 3 we will be covering refinements to the squad leader spawn...
*big grin*
Old 02-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiro View Post
In part 3 we will be covering refinements to the Squad Leader Spawn, Squad and Tank UI, Peripheral Indicators, and Enemy spotted systems.
Don't mean to ponce about and thanks for info but may I enquire will there be later about post penetration tank issues covered? We the community have long been anticipating this please, to for at least the classic mode this be fixed.

Last edited by Kashash; 02-17-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Since you are tweaking the server browser, can't you merge the ranked and unranked server tabs? Right now making your server unranked is server suicide, because the ranked tab is the default one and nobody bothers to look at the other one. Ranked/unranked should be a server filter option instead.
  This is the last developer post in this thread.   #15  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:01 PM
In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake

I will talk about tanks a bit, yes.

Pretty, what do we blow up first? - Myn Donos
Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 PM

man this is really good stuff! THANK YOU!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 AM

Especially pertinent with the addition of being able to select the "level of weapon" is the question: Will the game remember what we selected previously, or we have to reselect each option whenever we open the Change Role menu? Because right now the Change Role menu doesn't remember that I chose "x" primary weapon and "y" sidearm for the "z" class and it's a little annoying having to choose that each time a new match starts/team is switched/etc., but with even more options to choose from it could become significantly more annoying.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 AM

That's the spirit!

Keep it up Mr. Tripwire!

Support the IOM - Join the unranked IOM Servers!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezzer View Post
Since you are tweaking the server browser, can't you merge the ranked and unranked server tabs? Right now making your server unranked is server suicide, because the ranked tab is the default one and nobody bothers to look at the other one. Ranked/unranked should be a server filter option instead.
This please, it'd be awesome if people actually played the kick-*** in progress mutators :(
Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 AM

this sounds like an opportunity to bring up a previously posted idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastinGhost View Post
This idea assumes that the unlocking process will be removed and the attachments will be selectable (at minimum in Realism Mode/Server Options)

I propose a system of chance upon spawning. Let's say that the TT-33 is allowed for 40% of Allied soldiers. The default choice would remain unrestricted -choose M1895, you're going to get it- and if you choose the TT-33, you're going to get it as long as the percentage of players who want it is less than 40%. But if you select the TT-33 and more players want it, you're effectively participating in a drawing for it.
The percentage at which the weapon or attachment is restricted can be based on the historical likelihood of seeing them.

Maybe it could be annoying at times, but I see it being less annoying than everyone spawning with the best equipment (why not use always use MG 34 belts, for instance?) or as it is now with everyone being stuck with versions of weapons they don't necessarily like (for example, some consider the removal of the Kar98k's sight hood not to be an upgrade)

Thanks for reading!
I realize the idea may be too complex, and it's a bit unrefined as of now, but I think something like it might be worth considering as a balance between player choice and limiting the appearance of rare or more effective weapons that would be an obvious choice otherwise (like MG belts and semi-auto snipers). From what I gather, we can't select attachments in Classic- variations of weapons did exist and this might be a reasonable way to show that. Thoughts, anyone?

This is a still from my current project, War According to Video Games-
Preview of "War According to Video Games" - YouTube

Last edited by RoastinGhost; 02-18-2012 at 02:15 AM.