Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS News and Announcements > News and Announcements

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.  
  Click here to go to the next developer post in this thread.   #1  
Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM
In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake

Default What we are up to - Refinements

Today's "What we are up to" post is bringing attention to major refinements being made to Red Orchestra 2. Since the release of the game, our own experience and player feedback has shown us how many of our systems could be improved. This includes gameplay mechanics to menu interaction. Today we will be going over the Damage Model, Bandaging, Lockdown and Native Voices.

First up is the changes we are making to the damage model of players. Currently the player takes damage in several zones. When that damage adds up to 100, he dies. Limbs have limited health points while body shots have up to 100 health and critical areas (such as the head) always cause 100 damage. When that limited hp pool of a limb is depleted, the player will no longer take damage to that area.

What is changing is how the player can take that damage. In relaxed mode: When a player has lost the health in a limb, if he bandages that health will be "refilled" so that the limb can once again take damage. In realistic mode: A player will always take damage when shot in the limb, however the amount of damage per shot on a limb will still be capped.

Complementing the refinement to the damage system is an update to bandaging. Based on feedback we have received from players we are tweaking how bandaging works on realism servers. The time it takes to bandage will be doubled, thus making it a less desirable option in the middle of a shootout.

Also being improved is Lockdown. Currently Lockdown is set per objective and starts its count right away. Player feedback has let us know that they felt it could often end a map too soon. So the rules by which Lockdown comes into play are changing. Gone is the heartless timer that would tick down. It is being replace by a timer that resets everytime the attackers have initiated an objective capture in 5 minutes or have not captured an objective in the past 7. These numbers are subject to change as we gather feedback from the beta, and sever admins will also be able to tweak those numbers themselves or disable Lockdown completely.

The last item we would like to mention today is Native Voices. Players will receive an option to enable native speakers for their team. When this option is selected, a player on the German team would hear German dialog from himself and fellow players on his team. For those seeking the greatest immersion, this will be the option for them.

Coming up in the next "What we are up to - Refinement edition" we'll be talking about selectable upgrades, key bindings, the scoreboard and changes coming to the server browser. And keep in mind that any of this is subject to change and is a WIP.

Pretty, what do we blow up first? - Myn Donos
Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Brilliant! Love all of it!

But
Quote:
The last item we would like to mention today is Native Voices. Players will receive an option to enable native speakers for their team. When this option is selected, a player on the German team would hear German dialog from himself and fellow players on his team. For those seeking the greatest immersion, this will be the option for them.
If this is enabled, will I hear english talking eneimes? -While my team will speak native.
I personally would like to have both teams talking native.

If the bandages are nerferd very much by the longer time to bandage, I personally would have no problem it being there in Classic mode.

Last edited by Andrew Blake; 02-16-2012 at 03:49 PM.
  Click here to go to the next developer post in this thread.   #3  
Old 02-16-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blake View Post
Brilliant! Love all of it!

But
If this is enabled, will I hear english talking eneimes? -While my team will speak native.
I personally would like to have both teams talking native.
You will never hear English speaking enemies, no matter if you choose the option or not.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Okey thanks, guess the hardcore people will have to do it the hard way then.

I find this decision rather odd though, as I rarely hear the enemies anyway therefore why not have both... Regardless I get why you guys did it that way. It's probably the best for the more "casual" users.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM

I realy like the upcoming changes you mentioned Yoshiro!
But if the time it takes to bandage will be doubled, it would be nice to have a little more time to get to a safe location to do this. Right now you have to bandage yourself immediately after a hit or you will die (slow death). And will the player have more weaponsway when he got a hit to his arms and things like that?

Regards Culti

Support the IOM - Join the unranked IOM Servers!

Last edited by Cultivator; 02-16-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the info.

A note regarding the possible Lockdown changes. They actually sound very agreeable and this sorta was what I thought Lockdown would be prior to the game's release. If it was, I probably wouldn't care that its in the maps and I may even end up liking it.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the info, no complaints here.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM

I see many good changes, thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiro View Post
Today's "What we are up to" post is bringing attention to major refinements being made to Red Orchestra 2. Since the release of the game, our own experience and player feedback has shown us how many of our systems could be improved. This includes gameplay mechanics to menu interaction. Today we will be going over the Damage Model, Bandaging, Lockdown and Native Voices.

First up is the changes we are making to the damage model of players. Currently the player takes damage in several zones. When that damage adds up to 100, he dies. Limbs have limited health points while body shots have up to 100 health and critical areas (such as the head) always cause 100 damage. When that limited hp pool of a limb is depleted, the player will no longer take damage to that area.

What is changing is how the player can take that damage. In relaxed mode: When a player has lost the health in a limb, if he bandages that health will be "refilled" so that the limb can once again take damage. In realistic mode: A player will always take damage when shot in the limb, however the amount of damage per shot on a limb will still be capped.

Complementing the refinement to the damage system is an update to bandaging. Based on feedback we have received from players we are tweaking how bandaging works on realism servers. The time it takes to bandage will be doubled, thus making it a less desirable option in the middle of a shootout.

Also being improved is Lockdown. Currently Lockdown is set per objective and starts its count right away. Player feedback has let us know that they felt it could often end a map too soon. So the rules by which Lockdown comes into play are changing. Gone is the heartless timer that would tick down. It is being replace by a timer that resets everytime the attackers have initiated an objective capture in 5 minutes or have not captured an objective in the past 7. These numbers are subject to change as we gather feedback from the beta, and sever admins will also be able to tweak those numbers themselves or disable Lockdown completely.

Coming up in the next "What we are up to - Refinement edition" we'll be talking about selectable upgrades, key bindings, the scoreboard and changes coming to the server browser. And keep in mind that any of this is subject to change and is a WIP.
Wow some great stuff in there Yoshiro -- the bit about Native voices is a nice surprise.

Regarding the damage model changes to realism mode, it looks like the silly issue of people being able to take infinite amounts of damage after bandaging a body region will be gone. One thing that is particularly confusing, and is something that you should perhaps preface this post with, is that these changes are independent of RO Classic mode.

So my question is, how many of these changes will also apply to RO Classic? I believe you said that bandaging won't exist in RO Classic at all, and also that bleeding also wont' exist. Did I interpret that right?

A Dedicated RO Veteran since 2003
Check out my RO videos! RED ORCHESTRA: Overture to War - YouTube
  Click here to go to the next developer post in this thread.   #10  
Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 PM

The only change here that can apply to Classic is native voices. However if during the beta we see a call for some of these improved items to be put in, we will probably experiment with it.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
The only change here that can apply to Classic is native voices. However if during the beta we see a call for some of these improved items to be put in, we will probably experiment with it.
I like this, time to give huge feedback
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Without me timing the current bandaging, what will that make it, around 4 seconds? Also, what about other bandaging issues? Like increasing the timeframe the player has to bandage before dying and increasing the negative effects on the player when they ignore bandaging: increased sway, visual blurring, slower movement if shot in the leg, etc. Imo, it still needs this other stuff to function properly as a bandage system.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
...and changes coming to the server browser...
Does that mean you're gonna merge the ranked and unranked server tabs? That would be lovely and might give the unranked servers a chance
Quote:
You will never hear English speaking enemies, no matter if you choose the option or not
Actually, you can sometimes. There were several times I was playing as a German and heard a Russian say "I'm hit". Must be a bug or something.
  Click here to go to the next developer post in this thread.   #14  
Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikaner View Post
Without me timing the current bandaging, what will that make it, around 4 seconds? Also, what about other bandaging issues? Like increasing the timeframe the player has to bandage before dying and increasing the negative effects on the player when they ignore bandaging: increased sway, visual blurring, slower movement if shot in the leg, etc. Imo, it still needs this other stuff to function properly as a bandage system.
I believe we will be tinkering with some things in that area in the classic mode. We'll be watching player feedback on it (like everything that we put into beta), to see if we should try moving some things to other modes.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
You will never hear English speaking enemies, no matter if you choose the option or not.
what about if i mod the game to include an english faction, then add english voice files ?
  Click here to go to the next developer post in this thread.   #16  
Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sah. View Post
what about if i mod the game to include an english faction, then add english voice files ?
Then I will have the code team break your mod so I am correct! (Actually, you will probably hear English voices playing Rising Storm, no matter what team your on!)

Old 02-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezzer View Post
Actually, you can sometimes. There were several times I was playing as a German and heard a Russian say "I'm hit". Must be a bug or something.
Yeah I thought hearing the enemy was a given. I have heard them serveral times, "I am hit", "Enemy commander talking in the radio calling arty", taunts, death cryes. All can be heard.
They can't possibly all be bugs!?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Then I will have the code team break your mod so I am correct! (Actually, you will probably hear English voices playing Rising Storm, no matter what team your on!)
oh **** i got countertrolled by a dev . win!

on a serious note, patch sounds great, + can't wait for RS mod.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Keybindings eh? Option to split multi use keys I hope.

Sweet getting native voices back.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM

super impressed! keep up the good work guys, game is getting better and better - and THANKS for listening to the community!