Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > Technical Support > RO2/RS Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Gudenrath's Avatar
Gudenrath Gudenrath is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,968
Default Not able to pick up weapons dropped on stairs

Been killed several times now, standing around like an idiot, trying to pick up an enemy gun, but being unable to, seemingly because it has been dropped on stairs. It seems there is either no way to pick up items dropped on stairs, or they are only able to be picked up from obscure angles.

This is everytime.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Ducky's Avatar
Ducky Ducky is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,418
Default

If that happens, do you then see the message on your screen telling you that the weapon can be picked it up? Or is that message not shown at all if you move around the weapon?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
r5cya's Avatar
r5cya r5cya is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Bruno, California
Posts: 6,041
Default

lots of places they can't be picked up. my rule of thumb is, i run over it and hit the ctrl button, if it picks it up, great, if not, i do not hesitate to get into cover. no weapon is worth dieing for. in fact most times i'll avoid the weapon and area alltogether. there's probably another guy right around the corner.
__________________
1 million fps Slow Motion video of bullet impacts made by Werner Mehl from Kurzzeit - YouTube

Support your custom mappers! Only play servers willing to run custom maps!

Last edited by r5cya; 09-11-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Gudenrath's Avatar
Gudenrath Gudenrath is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
If that happens, do you then see the message on your screen telling you that the weapon can be picked it up? Or is that message not shown at all if you move around the weapon?
No message. While a grenade or other items dropped just before the stairs, from the same dead body, does show on the screen as being items you are able to pick up.

I just had this in Grain Elevator twice.

Last edited by Gudenrath; 09-11-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2012, 05:33 PM
r5cya's Avatar
r5cya r5cya is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Bruno, California
Posts: 6,041
Default

lots of slopes won't let you pick stuff up. you've seen the bouncing nades, right?
__________________
1 million fps Slow Motion video of bullet impacts made by Werner Mehl from Kurzzeit - YouTube

Support your custom mappers! Only play servers willing to run custom maps!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Proud_God's Avatar
Proud_God Proud_God is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Unranked IOM server. Join me.
Posts: 3,119
Default

Most likely due to a desynch in where the server and your client think where the weapon is.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Temporary Temporary is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Europe, France, Normandy
Posts: 205
Default

There could be another reason for that problem: you need to be above the weapon to pick it up.

It's (almost) impossible to pick up a weapon from below it, you notice that on slopes and trenches: the gun is visible, you are near it, and you can never grab it.

Proud_God is also right, desynch happens frequently, much to my despair (oh those grenades...)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Mekhazzio's Avatar
Mekhazzio Mekhazzio is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,104
Default

Physics are not synchronized across the network, so objects that go into free physics, like ragdolls and dropped weapons, show up in different places on every computer. This frequently causes the pickup system to break down, because it's built so that you need to be within pickup range & facing of the weapon on your client to initiate the pickup, and then -also- need to be within the pickup zone on the server for it to run the pickup. Thus, you need to be in the intersection of those zones to actually pick up the weapon. If the position of the weapon has desynched enough that those two areas don't have any overlap, then it just can't be done.

Stairs make the problem worse by amplifying the physics action, but it can happen on perfectly flat ground too.

It ought to be using a more client-authoritative method.

Last edited by Mekhazzio; 09-24-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Genocider Genocider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekhazzio View Post
Physics are not synchronized across the network, so objects that go into free physics, like ragdolls and dropped weapons, show up in different places on every computer. This frequently causes the pickup system to break down, because it's built so that you need to be within pickup range & facing of the weapon on your client to initiate the pickup, and then -also- need to be within the pickup zone on the server for it to run the pickup. Thus, you need to be in the intersection of those zones to actually pick up the weapon. If the position of the weapon has desynched enough that those two areas don't have any overlap, then it just can't be done.

Stairs make the problem worse by amplifying the physics action, but it can happen on perfectly flat ground too.

It ought to be using a more client-authoritative method.
Can you explain why occasionally, I'll kill a guy and his weapons and equipment just disappear completely? I've had it happen a few times and still don't get why that happens. Although thanks for the explanation about the above. Really hope TWI fixes this stuff sometime but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Mekhazzio's Avatar
Mekhazzio Mekhazzio is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genocider View Post
Can you explain why occasionally, I'll kill a guy and his weapons and equipment just disappear completely?
That's a different bug, and one that happens a lot more than just occasionally. The dropped item system isn't very well-made and can cause collision errors with itself, which makes the spawning of some of the items abort before they're even created.

But yeah, pretty much all of the bugs in the game have been in since release and their numbers haven't diminished much, so don't hold your breath.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2014, Tripwire Interactive, LLC