• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Xbox 360 controller anomaly

Typewriter

Sep 18, 2011
It's a well known fact that RO2, as a pure PC game, doesn't support Xbox 360 controller. But every time I shoot a Mosin Nagant rifle ingame, my 360 controller for Windows, that I use to play some games, purrs on my table as it was force feedback from the game (sorry for my English in this sentence).

Just thought it could be interesting :)

Reactions: hockeywarrior
Simple answer:
UE3, an engine designed special for xbox 360.
No, that was UE2X. If anything, at the time of it's release UE3 was a PC engine with PS3 leanings. It was better supported due to receptive PSN policies on pushing updates and user created content. Xbox controllers are a popular PC compatible controller. Basic support for it hardly makes the engine x360-centric.

Upvote 0
No, that was UE2X. If anything, at the time of it's release UE3 was a PC engine with PS3 leanings. It was better supported due to receptive PSN policies on pushing updates and user created content. Xbox controllers are a popular PC compatible controller. Basic support for it hardly makes the engine x360-centric.

Why are all the xbox related commands available in the console then?
Why was GoW an xbox exclusive?

UE3 is probably shaped more towards xbox because of this(GoW being one of the most selling Xbox titles out there).

Upvote 0
Why are all the xbox related commands available in the console then?
Why was GoW an xbox exclusive?

UE3 is probably shaped more towards xbox because of this(GoW being one of the most selling Xbox titles out there).
1. When UE started to specialize in console builds it was forked between UE2.5 and UE2X. Making a multiplatform game meant everything had to be done multiple times. UE3 consolidated multiplatform dev into a single SDK so while you still need a PS3/x360 dev kit to compile the appropriate build, you only need to use one dev environment to actually make the game for any platform. The latest UDK is a great public example of exactly this strategy.

2. It was? Ok, maybe 2 and 3 are but I think you answered your own question. While GoW sold around 5M, the PC numbers by Epic have "not met expectations". Whether this had anything to do with the PC version coming out a full year later, who knows but it seems perfectly reasonable "to focus on the market majority" when it comes to games. When it comes to engine development, if Epic could get UE3 to run on a toaster and there was a market for toaster games, they'd make it run on a toaster. Just because it's one of the platforms it can run on doesn't make it a toaster engine.

Upvote 0
if Epic could get UE3 to run on a toaster and there was a market for toaster games, they'd make it run on a toaster.

super-nintoaster.jpg

What do you mean "if"? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0