• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Error] Occlusion Culling on Players problem. This cannot make it to final build.

Blastome

Sep 1, 2011
RO2 is turning out to be a fantastic game, but one problem that has resulted in me losing battles is how finnicky the occlusion culling system is when applied to players. I know the game has to apply optimizations when it comes to rendering players, but it still needs a lot of work, especially when I have people vanishing and appearing right in my line of sight.

Trying to get snipers is also a large problem when they can cover 80% of their body behind a wall, and then become invisible because the game decides that 80% is enough to not render someone. But also, I've been killed by people who jump out of cover, can get enough time to aim at me and fire before the game gets it together and finally makes them appear for me to be able to see them.

I recognize that engine optimizations are a really tasky thing to do, but it is imperitive that this does not make it into the final build of the game, as it has already involved in unfair deaths to me, and I am almost certain people will abandon this game because of it.