• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why do we have a radar?

Krobar

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2011
The sewers of Leningrad.
To the Devs:

Question: Who's idea was it to make the compass a radar? and why?

Question: Will an actual compass be implemented soon? (server option?)

I define this compass radar thing as a "doohicky" cant understand it at all at the VERY least put the proper cardinal directions somewhere on it! PLEEEEASE! :D

Anyone else disgruntled about this?

They existed back in WWII, didn't you know? :D

Seriously though, it's there to help new players from getting lost and if I remember correctly, it can be taken off your screen.

Most likely you'd have to modify your config files to do that, or it'll be a server option.

That's like saying you can disable the crosshair and ammo indicator in Counter Strike if you want more realism. Ok, but you're putting yourself at a big disadvantage.

Upvote 0
That's like saying you can disable the crosshair and ammo indicator in Counter Strike if you want more realism. Ok, but you're putting yourself at a big disadvantage.

The server side option would disable the radar for all players on that server, hopefully replacing it with a compass

or a 2 ton radar truck you have to drive around in :p

Upvote 0

^ and that's like saying that because you don't like a feature & you don't want to use it, you don't think anybody else should either.

The GPS thing doesn't show you the whole map and only shows you the basic layout of what's around you, including your team mates. I hardly even look at it myself, but I do use it for a second or two to make sure I'm heading in the right direction as the objective.

I imagine once I learn the maps more, I won't be using it for much at all..... using it or not using it is not the same as having crosshairs and not having crosshairs compared to other players like in CS.

In CS, you have no other real way of aiming at a target, there are no iron sights, so they're needed. The GPS just gives you a basic understand of what's around you, which I'd compare it to turning your head and looking around.... since you have tunnel vision in a monitor and your body is constrained to where you're looking, this compensates for this. That is, if you wish to look at it & use it.

If it showed you where every enemy soldier was located around you, then yes, that would be a disadvantage if you never used it and it'd be no better than a wall hack in your perspective.

It just shows you where an objective is, the status of that objective and where friendlies are.

The only benefits I see from it are that it helps you from not getting lost and to make sure you don't wander too far off away from your team..... and to see where most of your team is heading.

There's really not that much of a advantage or disadvantage.

And since others have pointed out that it's a server side thing that can be disabled, that means nobody can use it, or everybody uses it.... thus everybody's on equal ground.

In regards to the compass in RO1.... I always found that useless and generally brought up my map to determine where I was. I never used my compass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think its just a minimap that shows your position and your allies. If that. I have never seen an enemies position show up.

And personally I don't want to have to rely on an annoying elitist yelling in my ear to go to the turquoise building. I see bluish green. The minimap is a god send in territory and CD. But I am sure in the client options of the servers when the full game is released. It will be togglable I imagine.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty much into high realism in my games. But I like the mini-map compass thing for THIS one. single. reason.

It shows where your allies are.

I don't have to continue to worry about if Herman Von Rambo, who was watching for enemies in the other direction I was facing suddenly walked away without saying anything, leaving me to get beat in the back of the head, which always happened.

Upvote 0
It is not a radar, and calling the minimap a radar doesn't make it a ten ton pocket radar. :rolleyes: It only makes your question biased and not a real question. Thus deserving not a real answer. :D

This.

No game is the same as real life, in real life you have other means of feedback. You can feel your pockets for ammunition, you can look at your weapon to see if your switched to auto/semi/safe, you can listen to your radio to receive information of where your friendlys are, etc etc.

The minimap lets you know where your buddys are, to prevent you from stalking an endless amount of friendlys through a building you're in.

td;dr, the minimap is a means of feedback that aids your gameplay. if you dont like it, put a bit of tape over the screen in the bottom right, or, better still, go and get shot at by some real enemies.

Upvote 0
It is not a radar, and calling the minimap a radar doesn't make it a ten ton pocket radar. :rolleyes: It only makes your question biased and not a real question. Thus deserving not a real answer. :D

CS 1.6 has a far less detailed "minimap" (that only shows you white dots for allies, not even a map or anything where you could see the bombsites and such [like dumbed down CSS]), and it is still called a radar and is incredibly useful. And totally unrealistic.

Edit: White instead of green. It's the background that is green.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the compass, and I honestly don't even really look down or notice the "mini-map". As any experienced shooter will tell you, "if you are on point, never take your eyes off the front" or something like that.

Basically, less HUD to me is better for more screen to focus on whats important and thats the objective at hand.

Upvote 0

You know what I meant but didnt want to give me the answers I asked for. You're basically saying that you wont give me an answer because I dont call it by what its "officially" called

Upvote 0
You know what I meant but didnt want to give me the answers I asked for. You're basically saying that you wont give me an answer because I dont call it by what its "officially" called

I think he's just making a distinction between a radar and a map, the former of which is used to (predominantly) detect enemy positions, and the latter of which is just an indication of allied objectives, which also happens to mark friendlies within your field of influence, so to speak.

It's a band-aid tool to help abridge the gap between reality and the limited interface (read: restricted fov and crippled sensory signals) of the monitor interface.

Reactions: BigMorgan
Upvote 0