• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How far can you see Muzzle Flash?

Srinidhalaya

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Last edited:
Facing the German MG-42 Machine Gun! - YouTube

mp40 - YouTube

There is no visible muzzle flash in either of the above videos.

Now I am not a firearm expert by any stretch of the imagination, but the muzzle flash did look out of place and was one of the few issues I had with the beta footage - I think a small puff of smoke would be much more realistic than any kind of muzzle flash, save perhaps the nighttime maps.

But maybe I'm way off - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The devs stated several times that it is hard to capture the muzzle flash of a weapon on video due to that fact that it is there only for a very short time, often being visible for less time than the camera needs to take two individual frames of the video. This is the reason why YouTube videos are no good source of information concerning muzzle flashes.

Upvote 0
There is no visible muzzle flash in either of the above videos.

Now I am not a firearm expert by any stretch of the imagination, but the muzzle flash did look out of place and was one of the few issues I had with the beta footage - I think a small puff of smoke would be much more realistic than any kind of muzzle flash, save perhaps the nighttime maps.

But maybe I'm way off - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Youtube videos are a bad example, muzzle flash is a quick event and the frames of the video with the flash could be easily missing because of the poor quality.

Maybe not explaining it right lol but it's like this..

A Floating Helicopter - YouTube

It looks like it's floating because that position of the rotor matches FPS of the video.

Upvote 0
The devs stated several times that it is hard to capture the muzzle flash of a weapon on video due to that fact that it is there only for a very short time, often being visible for less time than the camera needs to take two individual frames of the video. This is the reason why YouTube videos are no good source of information concerning muzzle flashes.

Youtube videos are a bad example, muzzle flash is a quick event and the frames of the video with the flash could be easily missing because of the poor quality.

Maybe not explaining it right lol but it's like this..

It looks like it's floating because that position of the rotor matches FPS of the video.

Alright, that makes sense, thanks for correcting me - still not really a fan of the effect, but it isn't that big of a deal. At least it's much better than the muzzle flashes in Arma.. good god are those horrendous.

Upvote 0
Well the 50cal has a modern-day flash-suppressor.

WW2 era rifles and the like do not.

You can see muzzle-flash from hundreds of yards.

First of all, WW2 era rifles had significant length over their modern counterparts, which both stifled recoil and muzzle flash.

For instance, the reduced power Japanese Arisaka rifles had virtually no visible muzzle flash.

See following vid beneath spoiler tag:
4:43 "There was little recoil, and almost no muzzle flash from the Type 38, which were advantages in warfare."

Alternately, you should be aware that compensators were available back before World War 2. In fact, the Thompson submachine gun in one of its early production models had a built in compensator that was actually removed as a cost-cutting measure in the World War 2 production model.

US Guns of WW2 - Modern Marvels: Part 2/5 - YouTube

5:51 "The Cutts compensator, which lessened muzzle climb by deflecting the blast, was standardized."

Footage of Thompson w/ Cutts firing at 6:30

7:03 WW2 production sans Cutts compensator as a cost-cutting measure.

More footage of WW2 production being fired at 9 minutes in.

Watch this video (for more muzzle flash):
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've never seen a muzzle flash out of my 91/30 shooting it during the day.

Like someone above said, carbine length Mosins (M44 and M38) are nortorious for having a large muzzle flash - the shorter barrel (20" vs the 29" of the 91/30) doesn't let all of the powder burn inside of the barrel. They're quite loud compared to the 91/30 also :D

Upvote 0
A lot of *ahem* internetz experts like to use youtube videos as their argument against large muzzleflashes. Under high light conditions, they are very hard to see, and the most distinct visual is a puff of smoke.

Tripwire is doing a pretty great job of portraying muzzleflashes in a way that is appropriate for all light conditions, imo.

Upvote 0