• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Quick Question

NYPD

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 25, 2011
If i purchase the game in a store/online (amazon.com), would I need to install Steam in order to play this game, or can It just perfectly fine by itself?

I just have a thing against steam ever since Valve forced Half Life 2 fans to install that in order to play their game. Back then steam had so many bugs and was horrendous to use, So I guess it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Hi, welcome

You need to have steam in order to run this game, even if you buy it in a store.
updates etc, are all automatically handled through steam too

and steam evolved, it's actually quit good (I had my doubts back in the HL times as well)

Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately Steam is such a deal breaker for me that I wont be playing this game (looks fantastic though)

I had so many problems with Steam from when Half Life 2 came out up till a few years ago (I followed the Half life series and Team fortress 2) that I just gave up with that service. The are lots of games that I wanted to try (Metro 2033, Mafia II, etc), but unfortunately PC developers these days are tending to go with steamworks. I also have a list full of reasons on why I dislike Steam (Such as steam essentially being drm and how they update your game without your permission [A lot of my mods were ruined by this])

Regardless that just my opinion on that service, and If you don't mind installing Steam in order to play you games, then more power to you.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Yeah its not like it used to be. And I wouldn't have a good percentage of my game library in my steams game library if I didn't trust them. The only time I buy an actual CD nowadays is for stuff like ARMA where I want the CD for some weird "I must hold it!" reason.

Whereas a company like Direct 2 Drive lost about ten titles of mine when they integrated IGN logins to their site.....

Yeah steam is fine in my book. :D

Upvote 0
I must admit that I love steam. Thanks to it, I am able to get most games as soon as they are released (if they are not restricted or not yet released here) and the game library is keeping everything perfectly organized. PLUS: set up a new system and transfer your games again. Alone the download speed is pretty poor where I am at.
Plus: no need to search for patches. Steam does that for you.

If it wasn't for steam, I had to buy pirated games which you cannot play online (try to find an original game here...). I did that ones (an EA title, lol) and unfortunately it was of (_*#Y$^@^! quality.

Upvote 0
If i purchase the game in a store/online (amazon.com), would I need to install Steam in order to play this game, or can It just perfectly fine by itself?

I just have a thing against steam ever since Valve forced Half Life 2 fans to install that in order to play their game. Back then steam had so many bugs and was horrendous to use, So I guess it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I had issues with Steam when it first came out as well and was stuck in my old ways of playing HL1 & TFC on the old WON servers.

But it is a lot better than it used to be and has been streamlined greatly.

And as others mentioned about the patches and updates, Steam has greatly solved the issue of having to run off to one site or another, such as fileplanet, waiting in a lineup, finally able to download it, and then patching yourself.

Usually by the time you get back onto steam, it's either already patched/updated, or it's currently doing it for you, tells you what it's doing, what's in the patch, etc..... and when I moved to Australia from Canada, I didn't have to lug a bunch of CD/DVD's around with me halfway around the world and risking them being lost, scratched or broken during the trip.... I just re-installed steam, logged back in and all my games were available once more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately i won't be getting this game then (Looks great btw) due to steam. I have had a bad relationship with steam throughout the years, always having problems, ruining my mods, etc. If any game gets released with steamworks, then its just a deal buster.

However, that's just my opinion. If you don't mind being forced to run steam in order to play your games, then more power to you.

Upvote 0