• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

slow death and bullet damage

Höck

Aug 5, 2011
‪Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - PAX 2010 - Territory Mode - Walkthrough-Trailer @ HD (!)‬‏ - YouTube

At 2.25 you can see a first person view of the "slow death" effect. There were a few videos of a third person view of it, where as someone just stood there for a few seconds before falling over dead. This particular feature makes me nervous for a several reasons.

One of these reasons is that rifle damage is far too weak to be considered "realistic." If you get hit in the leg by a Kar98k, then you might not die, you might even survive long term in real life, but there's no way you're going to be able to control a weapon right after you get shot by an 8mm round from a Kar, even if it's "only" a leg wound.

I prefer using rifles, yet too often someone with a ppsh or an mp40 will run blindly around the corner and I'll shoot them in the stomach, only to have them go prone and spray and pray. I can only imagine getting a hit and have them die, but not before they spray me and whomever I'm standing next to before dying.

I think there are a few ways to solve this possible problem.
When "slow dying" incorporate a "flinch." So when you're shot initially you'd fall to the prone position and have to re-ready the rifle.

2. Making the weapon harder to control when "slow dying."

3. Decrease the time it takes to die completely.

What concerns me the most, is how easily, in the video, he controls the ppsh when he's supposedly seconds away from death. For a game that is built on realism, this isn't very realistic. In other videos it showed people standing up before randomly falling over dead. So, you're seconds away from dying, but you can still stand up and shoot around? Doesn't make any sense. I think a "slow death" feature will make being a rifleman even more difficult and reward those who just spray bullets around, as opposed to people who go down halls slowly, looking down their sights and checking around corners before blowing by them.

I'm sure that many people will come to the defense of "slow death," but it's been done in other games, and never have I played a game where it was a welcome feature. Nor is it realistic.

The best way I think to counter it, would be to make rifle damage more realistic, whereas a rifle will never cause a "slow death." Really, if you're shot really anywhere with a rifle round from those days, your ability to soldier is none. The kinetic energy from the rifle alone would tear your hamstring apart.
I think even with the slow death feature, it could be balanced through realism. But bolt-action carriers are at an even further disadvantage, because they have one shot to score a so-called "critical" hit.

Overall it looks like a really great game, but this is one of the features that I don't care for, along with two main weapons and spawning with the opposing sides gear, but that's for a different thread entirely.

There's one tiny problem with all this observation.

It's likely based on an old (or very old) version of the game. I'd really hold off on the judgement until we actually get some time playing the finished product.

And I'm pretty sure the two main weapons thing was for demonstration purposes. Sure you can probably carry two weapons if you pick one up from the ground, but I really doubt you'll spawn with a rifle and SMG.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont mind having 25% of the troops that are hit end up with slow death ( 75% die on the spot ) that lasts a few seconds, However, you should not be able to return fire...PERIOD.
However, if troops are lightly or heavily injured there should be a chance of returning fire at some point in the game...BUT OH WAIT, you get to instantly self-heal yourself with bandages so scratch that.

Like many other things in RO2, TWI likes to make a FUN game as opposed to a REALISTIC game which is FUN to play...Sigh :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm kind of tired of hearing "wait until we play the game" when anyone voices a concern. Or "the game isn't even out yet." I've lurked on the boards for a while, and that seems to be the de facto answer for anyone who is concerned about something. The problem with that logic is, that if no one voices any concerns or just waits until the game is out, then how will these features change from the "old" version to the new version? Let's just not give any feedback on what we've seen whatsoever. Isn't this the place to discuss said concerns. If your answer to it is inaction, then that's fine.

Also it doesn't matter whether you can pick up a second weapon as opposed to spawning with two. I fear that RO, with the ability to spawn with the other team's weapon, this "slow death," and the unlockables, is becoming less distinct than other FPS games. The weight system doesn't really work with two weapons anyway. Sure, I can carry a Kar98 and a mp40 in real life and not have any problems running or getting around, but it's the real-life annoyance--that cannot be represented in game-logic--that prevents me from doing so. I'm hoping that this is not an option on the realism servers. Moreover, most weapons during the time were not issued with straps, making it impossible to carry two weapons at a time anyway.

Upvote 0
I think they'll make it work fine. Keep in mind that while Rifles *may* trigger slow deaths instead of instant "death" (should be incapacitation but it's a game) Submachine Guns will have much lower lethality, and judging by recent gameplay videos, make take 3-4 hits before killing, as opposed to RO1's 1-3.

I'm sure they'll make it work right, and I know for a fact that jacketted Pistol rounds are not reliable stoppers, while jacketted rifle rounds usually are. However, even jacketted rifles sometimes fail to incapacitate, due to a large number of factors. The target may be at point-blank range and the round fails to yaw, or the round may yaw but the target goes into shock/is psychologically bent on staying in action. People get medals for continuing to fight despite being shot by Battle Rifles or Heavy Machine Gun fire. Sadly, it is usually posthumous, which is where the game's "slow-death" is actually a very good feature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think they'll make it work fine. Keep in mind that while Rifles *may* trigger slow deaths instead of instant "death" (should be incapacitation but it's a game) Submachine Guns will have much lower lethality, and judging by recent gameplay videos, make take 3-4 hits before killing, as opposed to RO1's 1-3.

I'm sure they'll make it work right, and I know for a fact that jacketted Pistol rounds are not reliable stoppers, while jacketted rifle rounds usually are. However, even jacketted rifles sometimes fail to incapacitate, due to a large number of factors. The target may be at point-blank range and the round fails to yaw, or the round may yaw but the target goes into shock/is psychologically bent on staying in action. People get medals for continuing to fight despite being shot by Battle Rifles or Heavy Machine Gun fire. Sadly, it is usually posthumous, which is where the game's "slow-death" is actually a very good feature.

Link?

Rifles by today's standards are relatively less powerful. The m14 for example uses a 7.62 round. The Kar98 is an 8x57mm, which is a huge round even compared to the Mosin, to which it is significantly larger.

You do have a point about yawing, but that would be difficult to simulate and do little to balance the game. I'm not too happy about the 3-4 shots to kill. That only puts the rifles at even more of a disadvantage. If anything the weapons in RO were too weak.

Also, the psychologically motivated to keep on fighting does nothing when you have a hole in your stomach and your stomach acid is leaking into your abdominal cavity. Gut shots are some of the most gruesome and painful, yet I fear that these will also be one of the "non vital" areas which triggers a slow death.

Upvote 0
I dont mind having 25% of the troops that are hit end up with slow death ( 75% die on the spot ) that lasts a few seconds, However, you should not be able to return fire...PERIOD.

Like many other things in RO2, TWI likes to make a FUN game as opposed to a REALISTIC game which is FUN to play...Sigh :rolleyes:

I agree.

I wouldn't mind having one last ditch effort to shoot during a slow death. Sometimes the shock of being shot will cause a fist to tighten and thus fire the gun. But it shouldn't be more than like 4 shots from the fastest of guns and very uncontrollable. From the video it looked like he was just like "I'm fine, still shooting just fine, I know I'll be dead in two seconds, but whatever."

Upvote 0
However, if troops are lightly or heavily injured there should be a chance of returning fire at some point in the game...BUT OH WAIT, you get to instantly self-heal yourself with bandages so scratch that.

A few things:

1 - Not based on percentage. More like the detailed damage model.

2 - Bandages aren't instant fixes.

3 - You can only bandage yourself once, and it only slows bleeding.

4 - What are you on about?

Upvote 0
Ha i was on a server with Hock today when this subject came up in game. But, I agree that this is an older version and there could be several tweaks that would make it more "realistic" or balanced by now

I hope you're right about the tweaks, but somehow I doubt that it will be balanced.

I also really hope they don't dumb down the weapon damage to appeal to a wider audience. I personally like knowing the risk of popping my head up, knowing that it would only take one hit to kill me.

Another video about slow death.

At 5.00 you can see what appears to be a slow death, which looks ridiculous. Admittedly, he says this is an older version of the game, but the fact the guy is even standing up is horrible. When you're two seconds away from dying of a gunshot wound, you don't just stand there wobbling around and only fall over the second you die.

At about 7.25 you can hear him explain it, what really concerns me is his mentioning of slow death being triggered by a gut shot. That's terribly unrealistic. Gut shots are some of the worst wounds.

‪Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad Part-2‬‏ - YouTube

The reason I'm bringing this up, is because I think it's not just a "tweak" to make a guy stunned by a shot, or fall down before slow dying, but I consider it to be something major. It's a large blunder to pretty much say that someone is fully combat capable until they are considered dead. If you watch the entire video you can see him throwing nades while slow dying. Wouldn't that be just wonderful.

Upvote 0
You're wrong about that. I don't feel like going into depth about it. But how can you know how much it is going to hurt when you haven't been shot in that area, or gone completely into shock? I can show you pictures of a man who was shot TWICE by a 12-gauge (some 00 and a single Slug hit to the chest), he was not on any drugs, and while he did die, he was hostile for 2 full minutes before collapsing. The 12-Gauge slug ripped a hole out of his back much larger than any fully-jacketted bullet can do.

Before this thread heads all the way south like some others with posts of graphic videos, etc... I want to try and head all of this off with the light reminder that these are humans we are talking about and that this is a game.

Enough science, speculation, and opinion. Here's a REALISTIC story:

"The enemy soldier... stumbled another step or two toward Leyden before he fell, detonating a grenade no more than five yards from where Leyden was instinctively jamming a fresh clip into his rifle. The whole world seemed to blow up in Leyden's face. The explosion knocked him cold momentarily, and when he came to, his cheek and one side of his head were covered with blood. An anvil chorus was ringing in his ears, and he couldn't see out of his left eye. He shook his head and tried to sit up as another Japanese staggered toward him out of the cave. At the last possible moment, Leyden managed to raise his rifle and fire. The mortally wounded soldier's momentum carried him so close that he almost fell on top of Leyden. Seconds later, the wounded Marine passed out again." (222, Sloan, Brotherhood)

This account was given by PFC. B. Leyden, K Company, 3rd Bn, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division about events that occured on Ngesbus, 9/28/1944, (Leyden was evacuated with his wounds and survived).

The first Japanese soldier sustained multiple wounds from .30-06 Springfield rounds fired at nearly point-blank range, yet managed to continue towards the enemy several steps while holding a primed grenade.

Private Leyden recovered from a grenade blast on the edge of the weapon's theoretical lethal range, maintaining enough coordination to raise a 9.5-pound weapon, aim, and overcome a 5-pound trigger pull to fire it at a second enemy soldier.

The second Japanese soldier, after taking the full force of a high-powered rifle round, continued forward several steps after being shot, though whether this was solely due to his momentum while alive or the result of actual coherent thought is up for debate.

In the same battle, other similar stories:

Cpl. E. L. Andrusko of I/3/7, 1st Marine Division, Oct 13, 1944, Peleliu. A Japanese soldier charges Andrusko with a fixed bayonet. After emptying a clip into the enemy combatant, who fell just inches from his feet, the Corporal found that the soldier had been hit repeatedly no less than seven times before dying but had nevertheless managed to sprint within reach of his target.

PFC. F. Fox of K/3/1, 1st Mar Div, Sept 16, 1944, Peleliu, While guarding a vulnerable sector on his unit's flank at night, Fox was ambushed by an attacking force of Japanese. Suffering a four-inch wound to the chest from a bayonet, he managed to wrestle the rifle away from his attacker and impale him. Over the next few seconds, he managed to continue yelling for aid while struggling with the enemy despite taking several grenade fragments and two more stab wounds in quick succession before falling unconscious. He was rescued the following morning and survived.

I refuse to go further. Ample supporting evidence exists if you have the stomach to search for it. I intentionally chose three relatively tame accounts that are easy to find in the public record.

It's not that weapons are too weak. It's that human bodies and spirit are too strong.

Enough with inconclusive ballistic speculation and unsubstantiated absolutes. I think we can all agree that humans can motivate themselves to superhuman exertions even when physically injured beyond our wildest imaginings.

Upvote 0
It's not that weapons are too weak. It's that human bodies and spirit are too strong.

Enough with inconclusive ballistic speculation and unsubstantiated absolutes. I think we can all agree that humans can motivate themselves to superhuman exertions even when physically injured beyond our wildest imaginings.

Thank you. I like to base my claims on real accounts I've read, but it is often difficult finding links for proper continual reference. I'm interested in reading more of such stories. If you have a direct link or a reference, I would appreciate if you could PM me or post it here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You cannot hold a weapon as stable as in the video when you're seconds away from death. No "human spirit is stronger than flesh" platitude is going to change that medical fact. Anyone who has bled out enough or is near unconsciousness/death can not keep a steady hand like that.

Holding a grenade and stumbling forward due to momentum=/=shooting accurately while standing

Last edited:
Reactions: Wesreidau
Upvote 0
I don't know if any of you guys have ever played the source-mod "Resistance&Liberation".

In the new beta version of this mod you got this VERY neat effect when hit by a bullet that wasn't critical or standing in a non critical range to grenade explosion that still knocks you down.

You can see this effect in this video at 4:12
‪Suppression, knockdown and grenade effects in RnL Open Beta 1.5‬‏ - YouTube

IMHO this would be a perfect solution for the "slow-death" with maybe being able to use your sidearm (if available).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with the accuracy standpoint. Maybe using the blindfire from the cover system? It is not accurate but you can pull the trigger.

Also the power of the cartridges is not really relevant.
As I stated in another thread; although it is statistical more likely to die from a high powered rifle bullet, that doesn't mean you always die instantly of a rifle bullet.
The stories of Nikita put this argument in the corresponding context. This same argument can be applied on 'combat ineffective', although this chances would be higher than the lethal chance.

A second thing to keep keep in mind is that while under adrenalin, you might perfectly be able to continue (for a short time)
A shot somewhere on the chest is never instantly lethal (except for debatable hydroshock or whats it called). Even a shot in the heart takes a few seconds, only after a very short time the blood isn't reaching the muscles/brain anymore. So if under adrenalin you have a few seconds before the first severe effects take place.
Instant is not the same as imminent [if you know what I mean]

Upvote 0
IMHO this would be a perfect solution for the "slow-death" with maybe being able to use your sidearm (if available).

So like every other game that is like "on the ground? well then its pistols only."
Would you really pull out your pistol while you lay on the ground dieing? Or would you use what you already had in your hands.
If you can/need to change guns wile dieing then slow death is to slow.

Your falling suggesting has got me thinking. heres an idea.
Have three slow death stances (from standing) that could depending on situation of be random.

1. stay standing
  2. falling to a crouch
  3. falling over on back, side or face first
This could make it harder to aim, while laying especially, and also give slow death while running/standing some variation.
All this slow death talk has made me wonder what twi have done, for slow death when it happens while you are prone/crouched.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So like every other game that is like "on the ground? well then its pistols only."
Would you really pull out your pistol while you lay on the ground dieing? Or would you use what you already had in your hands.
If you can/need to change guns wile dieing then slow death is to slow.

Well, not like those CoD-ish styles. Would be a shame to have something like that in RO2.

Those 3 stances for slow death you've listed are a good idea.

But if you'd get hit by a high velocity round knocking you to the ground and bleeding to death, I doubt you'll be able to not only hold a 10lb weapon but also fire it accuratly.
And I haven't even considered the recoil.

If I had to choose between the slow death we've already seen and an over-worked version without any weapons I'd choose the second one.
Simply for the reason that getting killed by a PPSh even though you lethaly hit that soldier first is gonna be more frustrating than not being able to get revenge in a slow death at all. :(

Upvote 0
From what i know, you can survive unbelievable amounts, which occurs on about 1 in 1000 soldiers at most. The problem is that "Most" soldiers doesn't have the kind of spirit or willpower needed to carry on. Some can, yes, but most will be shocked in the other direction, instead of feeling like kicking some *** before going down, they often end up paralyzed in fear.

Pain shows you are alive. If you get hit and feel nothing, it's almost certainly fatal.

And fighting on in the brink of death is more a sign of the person being crazy than brave.

That said, there are a few examples of people who has taken fatal damage and still keep going for hours or days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pain shows you are alive. If you get hit and feel nothing, it's almost certainly fatal.

Increasing pain is a crude but fairly effective way of determining how bad the damage is.
The disappearance of pain actually is not. If I don't feel I scratched myself because I was doing sports (=adrenalin) that doesn't mean that I am fatally wounded.

So for increasing pain ithis statement works, not for decreasing pain, since the mechanism behind it is dependant on totally different factors.

I agree with the rest of your post btw;)

Upvote 0